By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Why the 3DS does NOT need a second analogue nub (and will you be getting the 3DSXL?)

Should the 3DS have a second analogue nub?

Yes! 103 40.87%

No! 73 28.97%

I DON'T CARE! 48 19.05%

View results... 27 10.71%

Total:251

I don't think it needs a second circle pad, resi revelations plays just fine without and so will monster hunter 4 and the circle pad pro is there if you really need a second one.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Yes, it should have a second stick! If I don't get a Wii U, and a 3DS redesign with a second stick is on the way, I'll get that instead.

But I still don't see what advantage a second nub would gain. It's like if I were to slap a touchscreen onto a PS3 controller. None of the games currently require it, and none of the games will make use of it. Why would it be any different with the 3DS?

And a 3DS redesign isn't on the way. This new one will be the only one for a good couple years.

No

The biggest 3rd party titles on the 3DS already provide option for dual stick controls and will continue to; Monster Hunter, Kingdom hearts, metal gear solid and resident evil.

Its a very simple solution, games are not created which REQUIRE the controls, but it does enhance the experience or at least provide users an option. In 90% of cases we're talking about camera controls or reticle controls. Developers have and will continue to provide 3DS default options which either used the trigger buttons, touch screen or gyroscope controls but it clears that in most cases an additional circle pad is prefered. Early adopters are not alienated.

teigaga said:
Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Yes, it should have a second stick! If I don't get a Wii U, and a 3DS redesign with a second stick is on the way, I'll get that instead.

But I still don't see what advantage a second nub would gain. It's like if I were to slap a touchscreen onto a PS3 controller. None of the games currently require it, and none of the games will make use of it. Why would it be any different with the 3DS?

And a 3DS redesign isn't on the way. This new one will be the only one for a good couple years.

No

The biggest 3rd party titles on the 3DS already provide option for dual stick controls and will continue to; Monster Hunter, Kingdom hearts, metal gear solid and resident evil.

Its a very simple solution, games are not created which REQUIRE the controls, but it does enhance the experience or at least provide users an option. In 90% of cases we're talking about camera controls or reticle controls. Developers have and will continue to provide 3DS default options which either used the trigger buttons, touch screen or gyroscope controls but it clears that in most cases an additional circle pad is prefered. Early adopters are not alienated.

Let me ask you a question, then- do you have a 3DS? I know that if the new iteration of the 3DS came with a second analouge nub, I'd be very angry. Either because it wouldn't be used like other Nintendo add-ons, or because every game would require it, making my 3DS redundant. So early adopters would be alienated, as I explained.

And I have played Kingdon Hearts, MGS and Resident Evil, all without the second nub or the attachment, and it was perfectly fine. I never once felt like I needed more control, because the game was designed around the one nub. It's nice to have options, but it does not enhance the experience in all cases.

And you've named 3 games, 2 of which are released in the west, after 16 months on the market. Maybe it's not that big an issue?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

However, I will concede that5 not having the AC adapter is insanity.

ryuzaki57 said:
VicViper said:

Europe is not going to include the charger... very strange indeed... but if you have a DSi, DSi XL or 3DS you're set... it's the same.

These are probably be cheap

But if you have a DSLite you're f***ed! The one on top is 12€ and the lower one with the stand is 15€, far from cheap. And believe me the racket on French sites/forums is epic! 

And btw 3DSXL + charger + circle pad pro (which doesn't even exist yet for XL) = PSVita (maybe even more expensive because PSVita is currently 50€ off at some retailers)

That's one expensive charger. For those prices I would buy the one that includes the craddle, it's only 3 euros more.

And in your price comparison between the 3DS and Vita, did you include the obligatory propietary memory card?

Both the propietary memory card and the ac+craddle cost the same now. So the issue of buying the charger is the same as getting the card. Still stupid they didn't include the craddle in the package since the XL is built for home use, same with Vita should have included onboard memory.

And to all those people angry for the second analogue nub - buy a Vita or Wii U.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

I'm not the only one to call the 3DS XL well before it became official (specifically that we'd see a 3DS XL before seeing a revised 3DS), but I'm still baffled by repeat omission of the right analog slider.

It would be an option, no more. Any developer who chose to use the second stick would do so with the understanding that over 20 million potential customers would not have access to it and would design alternate controls as was the case with the few games that currently use the Circle Pad Pro.

And yes; support for the CPP is so minute, added to the fact that it's only available through GameStop and direct from Nintendo makes it pretty clear that Nintendo didn't want to make dual analog controls standard for whatever asinine reason.

But there would be absolutely nothing lost by just having it there. At all.

If we do end up seeing a revised 3DS/XL with second slider, I'll probably just throw my hands up in wonder.

And for all those standing by Nintendo's decision to take the same 3DS and just make it bigger, even to the point of digging deep to imagine reasons why it's actually beneficial to have fewer control options, imagine this:

Nintendo could have easily redesigned the 3DS XL to mirror the physical controls of the Wii U Gamepad. Including the ability to be used as a second Gamepad controller only with onboard processing.

And that's something that not only would I have paid for even after already feeling slightly ripped off for paying $250 for the 3DS, but something that also would virtually guarantee that I'd pre-order a Wii U for launch day purchase.

I don't think I'd be the only one in that boat.

ryuzaki57 said:
VicViper said:
ryuzaki57 said:
VicViper said:

Europe is not going to include the charger... very strange indeed... but if you have a DSi, DSi XL or 3DS you're set... it's the same.

But if you have a DSLite you're f***ed! The one on top is 12€ and the lower one with the stand is 15€, far from cheap. And believe me the racket on French sites/forums is epic! 

And btw 3DSXL + charger + circle pad pro (which doesn't even exist yet for XL) = PSVita (maybe even more expensive because PSVita is currently 50€ off at some retailers)

At least it comes with a 20 euro bonus, right? I heard 4GB memory cards cost this these days.

Seriously now... really strange move, but hardly a big problem... lol, nothing to be "f****ed" - what's this, first-world problems?

No, a 4GB SD card costs 4€ on Amazon. And 2 more GB are not essential, an AC adapter is.

You didn't get my joke... :(

Anyway, buy a third party charger, they're like 3 euros, or less. "Epic meltdown" averted.

VicViper said:
ryuzaki57 said:
VicViper said:
ryuzaki57 said:
VicViper said:

At least it comes with a 20 euro bonus, right? I heard 4GB memory cards cost this these days.

Seriously now... really strange move, but hardly a big problem... lol, nothing to be "f****ed" - what's this, first-world problems?

No, a 4GB SD card costs 4€ on Amazon. And 2 more GB are not essential, an AC adapter is.

You didn't get my joke... :(

Anyway, buy a third party charger, they're like 3 euros, or less. "Epic meltdown" averted.

There's always some reason for a "Epic Meltdown" ;)

Conegamer said:
There's always some reason for a "Epic Meltdown" ;)

Well, that's what happens when Mickey chooses to use the Thinner, rather than the Paint.

Conegamer said:
teigaga said:
Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

No

Let me ask you a question, then- do you have a 3DS? I know that if the new iteration of the 3DS came with a second analouge nub, I'd be very angry. Either because it wouldn't be used like other Nintendo add-ons, or because every game would require it, making my 3DS redundant. So early adopters would be alienated, as I explained.

And I have played Kingdon Hearts, MGS and Resident Evil, all without the second nub or the attachment, and it was perfectly fine. I never once felt like I needed more control, because the game was designed around the one nub. It's nice to have options, but it does not enhance the experience in all cases.

And you've named 3 games, 2 of which are released in the west, after 16 months on the market. Maybe it's not that big an issue?

Honestly, with the creation of the circle pad pro was an admission of 'Derp, we forgot a key feature'. A new nub in a redesign was an expectation of mine.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.