By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Why the 3DS does NOT need a second analogue nub (and will you be getting the 3DSXL?)

Should the 3DS have a second analogue nub?

Yes! 103 40.87%

No! 73 28.97%

I DON'T CARE! 48 19.05%

View results... 27 10.71%

Total:251
KylieDog said:
If you want to be competitive and play a game that isn't dumbed down you need a second analogue for many genres, like third person shooters or FPS, FPS especially.

Sakurai-san called the second analogue the dumbed-down option as far as Kid Icarus Uprising went.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Again, its not about needing it. It would be better off with it since developers would utilize it and make some great games that would otherwise suffer from control issues. The circle pad pro is new and an add on so that is why there are not many games that use it. Unless the XL circle pad pro comes out there will be even less interest from developers to use it. While the alternative of having a second circle pad built in would have encouraged it and would not alienate previous owners because the add on is available and alternative controls like the 3DS and PSP have used will be available. If anything the future 3DS XL owners are getting shafted if a circle pad pro XL does not appear as there are and will be some 3DS games that benefit from the second circle pad.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

As far as I'm aware, the only games that would really benefit would be FPS', which traditionally aren't big on handhelds, so there's no loss there, and RPG's. But the DS was the 'king' of the RPG (1), and that didn't have any analogue controls at all! So, would the second nub really add anything? I don't think so.

(1) I almost had a heart attack! PSP was vastly superior to DS in terms of RPG. I've spent much more time playing RPGs on my PSP than on my DS.

To come back to the 2nd analog stick, sure it's not used very often, but it would have added value to the system and sent a powerful message to gamers. Instead of that, Nintendo proposes a heavier and more expensive 3DS (and it is rumored here in France that the pack doesn't even include the battery charger) with a bigger screen but with the same resolution (which will make games uglier than the are now). This 3DSXL won't even allow the use of the Circle Pad Pro (it obviously won't fit), which triggers a question : will 3DS have more ambitious 3D games like Resident Evil or Metal Gear? Doesn't the lack of 2nd analog stick suggest that Nintendo and third parties will stick to cheap 2D games (less costly and more profitable) at the expense of gamers craving for greater gaming experience (like say, Gravity Rush)?

With 3DSXL, Nintendo sends the same wrong message as ever, that profitability is more important than the experience you deliver to gamers. 

KylieDog said:
oniyide said:
KylieDog said:
If you want to be competitive and play a game that isn't dumbed down you need a second analogue for many genres, like third person shooters or FPS, FPS especially.

Honestly i dont see 3DS getting alot of FPSs, the regular DS didnt and 3ds has already been on the market for year and ther isnt one in sight. FPS might be more of a Vita thing

DS and 3DS likely not got many because the controls so awful for them, with one analogue nub going back to N64 levels of control, by todays standards that is awful.  Revelations and MGS3 control far better with a CPP and those are both slow paced games, trying something more fast paced needs a second one as requirement.

I hear you man, but thats the point because of this we wont be seeing that many FPSs on 3DS so not having the 2nd nub doesnt really matter cause the library wont have the games that really benefit from it, at least not in large numbers

ryuzaki57 said:

As far as I'm aware, the only games that would really benefit would be FPS', which traditionally aren't big on handhelds, so there's no loss there, and RPG's. But the DS was the 'king' of the RPG (1), and that didn't have any analogue controls at all! So, would the second nub really add anything? I don't think so.

(1) I almost had a heart attack! PSP was vastly superior to DS in terms of RPG. I've spent much more time playing RPGs on my PSP than on my DS.

To come back to the 2nd analog stick, sure it's not used very often, but it would have added value to the system and sent a powerful message to gamers. Instead of that, Nintendo proposes a heavier and more expensive 3DS (and it is rumored here in France that the pack doesn't even include the battery charger) with a bigger screen but with the same resolution (which will make games uglier than the are now). This 3DSXL won't even allow the use of the Circle Pad Pro (it obviously won't fit), which triggers a question : will 3DS have more ambitious 3D games like Resident Evil or Metal Gear? Doesn't the lack of 2nd analog stick suggest that Nintendo and third parties will stick to cheap 2D games (less costly and more profitable) at the expense of gamers craving for greater gaming experience (like say, Gravity Rush)?

With 3DSXL, Nintendo sends the same wrong message as ever, that profitability is more important than the experience you deliver to gamers. 

As far as we know, it's only in Japan that the 3DS LL does not contain an AC adapter.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
ryuzaki57 said:

As far as we know, it's only in Japan that the 3DS LL does not contain an AC adapter.

It's making a huge buzz on French websites right now, and Nintendo France didn't deny it. 

Europe is not going to include the charger... very strange indeed... but if you have a DSi, DSi XL or 3DS you're set... it's the same.

These are probably be cheap

Mr Khan said:
KylieDog said:

Sakurai-san called the second analogue the dumbed-down option as far as Kid Icarus Uprising went.

Quoted for truth.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

KylieDog said:
F0X said:
Mr Khan said:
KylieDog said:

Quoted for truth.

A shame the truth ends at the fact he said that, not in the content of his words.

I use "as far as Kid Icarus Uprising went" as the qualifier. After having played the game for forty hours I don't think dual-analog controls would be an improvement, mainly because I despise using analog sticks for on-rails gameplay.

But I'd say most shooters would be better off with dual-analog controls (see: Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D), because by definition a tradtional shooter is built for traditional control methods. :P

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Tagged for later Reference.