By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Why the 3DS does NOT need a second analogue nub (and will you be getting the 3DSXL?)

Should the 3DS have a second analogue nub?

Yes! 103 40.87%

No! 73 28.97%

I DON'T CARE! 48 19.05%

View results... 27 10.71%

Total:251
MDMAlliance said:
amp316 said:
As much as I love my 3DS, I would love to see another analog stick on it. Imagine how much better the controls would be on Kid Icarus with one. Controlling the aim and turning with the touch screen just doesn't feel right at all, but it was pretty much the best that they could do with the hardware's limitations.

I disagree with you completely on Kid Icarus.  The controls it has now would be complicated by dual analog stick controls, because you have to focus on dodging, aiming, and firing at the same time.  Switching from one target to another is important to do, and accuracy is also important as the touch screen gives you a heightend amount of accuracy and precision.  The only thing most people don't like is that it's either uncomfortable for them or the controls are too difficult for them to comprehend (which I don't get because I got used to it in 10 minutes).

Dodging wouldn't be hard at all.  You wouldn't have to change that at all.  Just tap the left stick as it is now.  Sorry, but aiming is much easier with a stick since the touch screen is so small.  It may work well on the new Wii U gamepad, but on the 3DS it feels awkward.  

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

The reason that it doesn't need a second stick is that fans will eat up whatever shit is thrown at them anyways, Nintendo said they aren't going to have third party exclusivity fans agreed because third parties suck, nintendo bought third party exclusivity fans got excited and then third parties are good and does not suck, Nintendo said (like just a week ago) that they're not going to redesign the 3DS, fans agreed and thought a redesign is going to suck, Nintendo did this and now the fans are wetting their pants.

tl; dr , Nintendo fans buy whatever shit is thrown at them anyways, so this one wont "Fail"

I think I can understand the omission of the second stick on the XL model. The XL model isn't a revision like the DS lite or the DSi, it's just an option.

The Circle Pad Pro hasn't got that much support yet so Nintendo probably don't see the point in including the second stick in the console just yet.

If more games starts to support the CPP - and does well saleswise - then I'm confident that Nintendo will include the CPP in the 3DS revision. I can totally see a 3DS Pro and a 3DS Pro XL in a few years.

PullusPardus said:
The reason that it doesn't need a second stick is that fans will eat up whatever shit is thrown at them anyways, Nintendo said they aren't going to have third party exclusivity fans agreed because third parties suck, nintendo bought third party exclusivity fans got excited and then third parties are good and does not suck, Nintendo said (like just a week ago) that they're not going to redesign the 3DS, fans agreed and thought a redesign is going to suck, Nintendo did this and now the fans are wetting their pants.

tl; dr , Nintendo fans buy whatever shit is thrown at them anyways, so this one wont "Fail"

I seriously don't think you know what you're talking about.

MDMAlliance said:
PullusPardus said:

Yeah I talk nonsense.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
MDMAlliance said:
PullusPardus said:

Yeah I talk nonsense.

I thought that was already pre-determined?

And people seem to think that the 3DSXL is a redesign, when it isn't. It's like the DSiXL to the DSi, or the GBA Micro to the GBA. They're supposed to exsist side by side, hence the similar pricing. 

If the CPP gets more support, which seems unlikely, I'll change my stance. But for now, it's not. And people naturally get excited, it's human nature. The 3DSXL won't fail because of no CPP addition.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
PullusPardus said:
MDMAlliance said:
PullusPardus said:

Yeah I talk nonsense.

And people seem to think that the 3DSXL is a redesign, when it isn't. It's like the DSiXL to the DSi, or the GBA Micro to the GBA. They're supposed to exsist side by side, hence the similar pricing. 

If the CPP gets more support, which seems unlikely, I'll change my stance. But for now, it's not. And people naturally get excited, it's human nature. The 3DSXL won't fail because of no CPP addition.

a redesign is a redefining of the shape of an object 

de·sign

noun /dəˈzīn/ 
designs, plural

1. A plan or drawing produced to show the look and function or workings of a building, garment, or other object before it is built or made
    • - he has just unveiled his design for the new museum
  2. The art or action of conceiving of and producing such a plan or drawing
    • - good design can help the reader understand complicated information
    • - the cloister is of late twelfth century design
  3. An arrangement of lines or shapes created to form a pattern or decoration
    • - pottery with a lovely blue and white design
  4. Purpose, planning, or intention that exists or is thought to exist behind an action, fact, or material object
    • - the appearance of design in the universe

verb /dəˈzīn/ 
designed, past participle; designed, past tense; designing, present participle; designs, 3rd person singular present

1. Decide upon the look and functioning of (a building, garment, or other object), typically by making a detailed drawing of it
    • - a number of architectural students were designing a factory
    • - specially designed buildings
  2. Do or plan (something) with a specific purpose or intention in mind
    • - the tax changes were designed to stimulate economic growth

re·de·sign

verb /ˌrēdiˈzīn/ 
redesigned, past participle; redesigned, past tense; redesigning, present participle; redesigns, 3rd person singular present

1. Design (something) again in a different way
    • - the front seats have been redesigned

noun /ˌrēdiˈzīn/ 
redesigns, plural

1. The action or process of redesigning something

I am the one talking nonsense now?

PullusPardus said:
Conegamer said:
PullusPardus said:
MDMAlliance said:
PullusPardus said:

Yeah I talk nonsense.

a redesign is a redefining of the shape of an object 

de·sign

noun /dəˈzīn/ 
designs, plural

1. A plan or drawing produced to show the look and function or workings of a building, garment, or other object before it is built or made
    • - he has just unveiled his design for the new museum
  2. The art or action of conceiving of and producing such a plan or drawing
    • - good design can help the reader understand complicated information
    • - the cloister is of late twelfth century design
  3. An arrangement of lines or shapes created to form a pattern or decoration
    • - pottery with a lovely blue and white design
  4. Purpose, planning, or intention that exists or is thought to exist behind an action, fact, or material object
    • - the appearance of design in the universe

verb /dəˈzīn/ 
designed, past participle; designed, past tense; designing, present participle; designs, 3rd person singular present

1. Decide upon the look and functioning of (a building, garment, or other object), typically by making a detailed drawing of it
    • - a number of architectural students were designing a factory
    • - specially designed buildings
  2. Do or plan (something) with a specific purpose or intention in mind
    • - the tax changes were designed to stimulate economic growth

re·de·sign

verb /ˌrēdiˈzīn/ 
redesigned, past participle; redesigned, past tense; redesigning, present participle; redesigns, 3rd person singular present

1. Design (something) again in a different way
    • - the front seats have been redesigned

noun /ˌrēdiˈzīn/ 
redesigns, plural

1. The action or process of redesigning something

I am the one talking nonsense now?

Fine, from a technical standpoint, it's a redesign, but it's not a replacement, and, as such, shouldn't add anything game-changing. Otherwise it would make the previous version redundant.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I also want to add to the disscusion. Has anyone ever played games that support the Circle Pad Pro? You would probably say they are better. With Metal Gear Solid 3D, it is much better. But, the thing is it doesn't use the L and R buttons, it uses the ZL and ZR buttons! Resident Evil Revelations uses the ZL and ZR buttons! Even, Kid Icarus Uprising uses the ZR button! You see where I'm going with this? That would mean Nintendo would have to add the new shoulder buttons on the system. No way, can you even play those games with CCP support without using the ZL and ZR buttons. Some bring up they just have to add a second stick, but with games that use the CCP already don't just use the second stick, it also uses the new shoulder buttons. And they can't map any controls either, since like I said, some games use a combination of the four.

So that would mean, they would've been forced to add the new shoulder buttons as well. But, that would've made the system even larger and less portable. Then, people would be complaining about that.

If Nintendo added all of these new things, then they might as well made a new console because of all the new input. 2 new triggers and a second stick. That would've made the 3DS XL look completely different from what it is now and cause confusion to the consumer. Also, devs would be confused too. Why even kept the orignial 3DS if the 3DS XL has all of these new things that the original doesn't have? That would've to balance this by making a slim version, since not everyone wants a larger system. But, then it wouldn't be the 3DS anymore, but the 3DS Pro.

This is too much work and confusion just to add a second stick, and they would've been forced to also add the new shoulder buttons in many cases. You could say they could've forced devs to make two control options for now, but some devs don't even want to use the CCP and some devs use the extra triggers.

This is my take on the matter. I'm sure some will try to work around this one.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Imo the second analog nub isn't necessary for the Japanese audience, look how great is doing without it, developers don't need it (the only game I can think of that will really benefit from it is Monster Hunter), but from a western perspective I think most of them need it, either for making a FPS or having an easier way to control the camera and I think that's the main reason we won't see much third-party support from western developers anytime soon.

Nintendo and PC gamer