By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Introducing Microsoft Surface - Windows 8 first tablet and a full Microsoft hardware/software solution!

Will you buy one if the RT is ~$500 and Pro is ~$900

yes 115 52.27%

no 79 35.91%

see resultz 23 10.45%

Total:217

I was right! w00t!

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/windows8/microsoft-highlights-windows-rt-software-development-143426

Around the Network
superchunk said:
yo_john117 said:
That ultrabook/tablet hybrid looks really really good. Whilst I was hoping for some form of Windows 8 phone announcement this is still pretty awesome.

I just hope it isn't too horribly expensive.

Windows phone conference is on Thursday.

Oh sweet. Thanks!

Do you know what time it is?

YukanaSenix said:
I don't know who needs that "AWESOME PIECE OF HARDWARE!!!"

At home you have a gaming PC
If you're not at home you have a Smartphone - Iphone and Samsung Phones can do the things you need to do if you are not at home.They can even emulate PS1 and N64 games perfectly.
If you don't care for weight you have a gaming LapTop that can do EVERYTHING a Macbook or this AWESOME THING can do.
And if i pay 1000$ for a gaming laptop that can play EVERYTHING from games to programs or 600 for a piece that can't max out Battlefield 3 and isn't even a status symbol in the "cool kids world" isn't even a choice.
Rich kids who want to be cool at school go for a MacBook and smart kids who want to do something with their piece of hardware buy a gaming laptop.

Why do you think this whole thing revolves around gaming. For most people, gaming will be the last thing on their minds when they buy it.

Mistershine said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that apps created for win 8 metro UI are either platform independent or that the dev kit can compile RT versions without any extra code. I'm probably wrong on both accounts though.

If you need device specific code, there is a place for it, but otherwise when you compile you can compile a project for multiple platforms.  So design a single app for mobile, Xbox 360, ARM tablets, x86/64 tablets, and PCs, add the device specific code necessary, and compile it across multiple devices.  You're done.

Everything but Windows 8 Desktop apps require some type of approval process.  Only Metro apps are available for RT that I know of.

Sorry Surface, you have a nice cover idea, but you are just too small for my needs. I prefer 13.3" screens for a laptop, minimum 12.1". My next laptop is going to be a tablet hybrid, and only the Asus Transformer Book fits my demands.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
JimmyDanger said:
Give me my Civilisation V tablet now.

If it'll run Civ V and Steam - sign me up.

A beautiful piece of work.

Keep the price reasonable in Australia though.

http://www.bestgamesnetwork.net/2012/06/microsoft-unveils-microsoft-surface.html

"The Surface will run PC games ... that's according to Eric Neustadter from Xbox Live Operations, who tweeted that the Surface tablet could run Civilization IV and V, and that it will be "the greatest Civilization-playing device known to mankind."

GET HYPED!!!!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

yo_john117 said:
YukanaSenix said:
I don't know who needs that "AWESOME PIECE OF HARDWARE!!!"

At home you have a gaming PC
If you're not at home you have a Smartphone - Iphone and Samsung Phones can do the things you need to do if you are not at home.They can even emulate PS1 and N64 games perfectly.
If you don't care for weight you have a gaming LapTop that can do EVERYTHING a Macbook or this AWESOME THING can do.
And if i pay 1000$ for a gaming laptop that can play EVERYTHING from games to programs or 600 for a piece that can't max out Battlefield 3 and isn't even a status symbol in the "cool kids world" isn't even a choice.
Rich kids who want to be cool at school go for a MacBook and smart kids who want to do something with their piece of hardware buy a gaming laptop.

Why do you think this whole thing revolves around gaming. For most people, gaming will be the last thing on their minds when they buy it.

Can emulate games log into live account? I think if  you want to run an emulated (assuming you know how to emulate games on your portable device) games like Baldur's gate, you need to shell out atleast $250 on a decent dual core phones. The new retina mac book pro? it is cool yes but is in it priced like $2000?  I would go with the surface if it sells for less than $600   I hope it can run Diablo 3 even on lthe lowest settings lol (maybe in 2 years?)

rocketpig said:
While I really like the direction MS is going, they still have a long road ahead of them... but I do think the road just got a little shorter.

My thoughts:

1. I hate Windows RT. I know they didn't have much of a choice but it's going to be difficult to convince developers to make software for an entirely different version of Windows alongside their current version.
2. It's too big. 10.6"? Portability is key here, Microsoft. Make it small-ish. The iPad is a great size, as are most 10" Android tablets.
3. It'd be really nice if that keyboard was flexible, like the iPad Smart Cover. That way you could roll it back behind the machine, just like the Smart Cover.
4. That kickstand is dumb. It should be way smaller. Make the device thinner and the kickstand smaller.
5. Apps, apps, apps. You need them before I'll buy this device.

With that out of the way, Microsoft impressed the hell out of me with this device. You know what I thought when I saw Surface? This feels like an Apple product from 3-5 years ago. It's fresh, well thought out, and very pretty. I'm a big fan of this new Microsoft. They're out-Appling Apple.

1. Yes, it is a second version to develope for, but that doesn't stop people from developing apps for the iPad. It's the same concept. Plus it just limits developers to the Metro side of Windows 8. So they will be able to make programs that run on full Windows and Windows RT with a few tweeks I bet. (though I could be totally wrong.)

2. Agreed, it is big, but there are a lot of people that have been hoping for a larger tablet. 10.6" will be a much better size for brousing the net. Though I do agree that there will be people turned off by the size. Personally, after my iPad1, I want for my next tablet to have a larger screen.

3. Yeah, flexible would be nice for the keyboard. I agree here.

4. I fully disagree. If you are going to include a kickstand, it needs to be able to fully support the devise. I bought a cover for my iPad with a smallish kick stand and it sucked when I tried to use the iPad on uneven surfaces, like on my tummy while laying in bed, on a pillow, on an airline tray table. I later got a cover with a much thicker longer and sturdier kickstand, which made these issues almost non-existent.

I also have an Evo 4G that has a nice kickstand, but it is only on one side of the device. It works great on perfectly flat surfaces, but on uneven surfaces the phone just tips over.

5. Agreed for me as well. I won't buy it until I know it will get good support. As it went with iOS and Android devices, apps will only come once people buy it. Plus, that is one of the reasons they are having the developer's conference this week.

Also - I realize you, like me, think this is a cool gadget. I just wanted to give my perspective.

rocketpig said:
While I really like the direction MS is going, they still have a long road ahead of them... but I do think the road just got a little shorter.

My thoughts:

1. I hate Windows RT. I know they didn't have much of a choice but it's going to be difficult to convince developers to make software for an entirely different version of Windows alongside their current version.
2. It's too big. 10.6"? Portability is key here, Microsoft. Make it small-ish. The iPad is a great size, as are most 10" Android tablets.
3. It'd be really nice if that keyboard was flexible, like the iPad Smart Cover. That way you could roll it back behind the machine, just like the Smart Cover.
4. That kickstand is dumb. It should be way smaller. Make the device thinner and the kickstand smaller.
5. Apps, apps, apps. You need them before I'll buy this device.

With that out of the way, Microsoft impressed the hell out of me with this device. You know what I thought when I saw Surface? This feels like an Apple product from 3-5 years ago. It's fresh, well thought out, and very pretty. I'm a big fan of this new Microsoft. They're out-Appling Apple.

Ah c'mon Mr Pig.

1. WindowsRT is WinPhone in tablet form. It will have the same support as winPhone and if Win8 integration can create a real want to own those phones (and I think it probably can) it will take off and become a real 3rd competitor in the smartphone ecosystem.

2. Its size is very much comparable to other 10" devices. I really doubt anyone will notice. Mostly its about weight anyways and these are really light as well. I have no reason to even consider that this size/weight will be an issue with the mass market.

3. The cover can roll back behind the tablet. Do you not see the multiple bends in the "spine" of the device?

4. That kickstand is fucking perfect. It is part of the device in a superburb fashion and gives great stability when in use. Its far better than the foldable cover that will wear out over time.

5. Apps... One model is a PC. It will run any windows8 peice of software. The other is the same as the windowsPhones. It has a decent library already and more than likely windows8 integration and an MS push will allow them to actually become a stable 3rd pillar in the smartphone world.

But I do agree... they are out-appling apple. Hell, they leap frogged all of Androids OEMs too... with the one exception of Asus.

superchunk said:

Ah c'mon Mr Pig.

1. WindowsRT is WinPhone in tablet form. It will have the same support as winPhone and if Win8 integration can create a real want to own those phones (and I think it probably can) it will take off and become a real 3rd competitor in the smartphone ecosystem.

2. Its size is very much comparable to other 10" devices. I really doubt anyone will notice. Mostly its about weight anyways and these are really light as well. I have no reason to even consider that this size/weight will be an issue with the mass market.

3. The cover can roll back behind the tablet. Do you not see the multiple bends in the "spine" of the device?

4. That kickstand is fucking perfect. It is part of the device in a superburb fashion and gives great stability when in use. Its far better than the foldable cover that will wear out over time.

5. Apps... One model is a PC. It will run any windows8 peice of software. The other is the same as the windowsPhones. It has a decent library already and more than likely windows8 integration and an MS push will allow them to actually become a stable 3rd pillar in the smartphone world.

But I do agree... they are out-appling apple. Hell, they leap frogged all of Androids OEMs too... with the one exception of Asus.

I understand that it's a tablet version of Windows, I just wish there was a way around the issue of mobile vs. full applications. I know there isn't a good solution, just lamenting that it's a problem on a device with a "Windows" label. Everyone has the problem, MS is certainly not unique here.

I know the size isn't that much different but it's a creeping problem. The bigger these devices get, the less mobile they become. Surface is nearly an inch larger than iPad and is creeping too close to laptop sizes IMO. I want a tablet to be small-ish and easy to carry. The bigger they get, the harder they are to slip into a small bag (and my bags keep getting smaller as I buy smaller devices).

The touch cover doesn't look like it can roll underneath the kickstand, meaning you have to remove the keyboard to use the kickstand if you're working in a confined space and don't need the keyboard. That's hardly an optimal solution. Blending the touch cover and the iPad smart cover would be a perfect solution (if it's possible to do).

We'll have to disagree on the kickstand. I'd rather have one that is smaller and is able to work with the touch cover without having to remove it.

The app problem will be resolved in time. Microsoft is too good at dealing with developers for it not to get solid support in the coming years. But before I plunk down a bunch of money for one of these devices, I'm going to need to see that support start happening sooner rather than later. MS is already two years behind Apple (six if you count iPhone apps) and they need to kick it into overdrive to catch up.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/