By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Introducing Microsoft Surface - Windows 8 first tablet and a full Microsoft hardware/software solution!

Will you buy one if the RT is ~$500 and Pro is ~$900

yes 115 52.27%

no 79 35.91%

see resultz 23 10.45%

Total:217
famousringo said:

A 10.6" screen at 16:9 aspect ratio is only 5% larger than a 9.7" screen at 4:3, so not really that much larger in those dimensions. The thickness and weight of the device are more of a concern. The RT version is quite comparable to the new iPad, but the Pro version is almost 50% thicker and 40% heavier than the new iPad. That's really quite a bit, and possibly enough to make that thing a lousy to use off a desk.

Setting any software issues aside, my concern is that the ergonomics of the kickstand + cover combo, while providing a superior experience on a desk, will provide an inferior experience pretty much everywhere else. Can't be sure until I try, but imagining using that setup on my lap seems terrible. The aspect ratio of the screen alone will make this device awkward to use in portrait orientation (how I do nearly all my reading, whether books, comics, magazines or web). And while Apple's cover provides a handy grip if used while standing or prone, you're going to want Microsoft's cover folded away where it's useless (and adding weight) or completely removed.

This is a clever alternative to the Transformer concept of a device which is both laptop and tablet. I'm just not sure that it's a superior one.

Not if you plan on using it as a laptop replacement with better mobility and functions as a tablet too.

Around the Network

superchunk said:

ohhhh now I see what you mean. Yeah, you'd have to remove the cover, but meh its a non issue to me. A tablet could perform as a laptop for me as I simply don't need it for anything else.

However, I'll probably be buying the new Nexus 7" $200 tablet coming out next month (unvieled at I/O event soon) for extreme portability and usage and then potentially a Pro version of Surface for more normal computing needs or my kids specifically. I like that its a tablet and a full Windows experience. Just so long as its not over $800. That's pretty much my limit on a computer. (I have yet to build one for more than that)

I think PRO will cost more than $800. I think it will be between $900-$1300. They said it will be priced as an ultrabook. A good ultrabook cost more than $1000.

Euphoria14 said:
JimmyDanger said:
Give me my Civilisation V tablet now.

If it'll run Civ V and Steam - sign me up.

A beautiful piece of work.

Keep the price reasonable in Australia though.

http://www.bestgamesnetwork.net/2012/06/microsoft-unveils-microsoft-surface.html

"The Surface will run PC games ... that's according to Eric Neustadter from Xbox Live Operations, who tweeted that the Surface tablet could run Civilization IV and V, and that it will be "the greatest Civilization-playing device known to mankind."

GET HYPED!!!!

Thankyou so much for that!

Keep the 128gb Pro under AUD$1200 (A 12gb Dell ultrabook rrps for 1099 here) - and I'm sold - day one.

The hype has been keeping me awake at night!

Beautiful, beautiful thing of beauty this is...it haunts my waking moments....

Very nice and neat looking tablet. I can see the RT being successful if they follow through with competitive pricing vs. Android tabs and iPads.

I don't see the Pro doing as good as the RT since it's price has been said to be as much as an ultrabook. Personally, I'd rather buy an ultrabook no doubt.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Its time Apple has some rude awakening

Yay!!!

Around the Network
superchunk said:
famousringo said:

A 10.6" screen at 16:9 aspect ratio is only 5% larger than a 9.7" screen at 4:3, so not really that much larger in those dimensions. The thickness and weight of the device are more of a concern. The RT version is quite comparable to the new iPad, but the Pro version is almost 50% thicker and 40% heavier than the new iPad. That's really quite a bit, and possibly enough to make that thing a lousy to use off a desk.

Not if you plan on using it as a laptop replacement with better mobility and functions as a tablet too.

Here's the thing, and I freely admit I'm speculating based on what I see:

Ultrabook - Good UX on desk

- Good UX on lap

- Terrible UX everywhere else

Surface Pro - Good UX on desk

- Mediocre UX everywhere else

All else being equal, are people really willing to trade a good lap UX for slightly less crappy UX in other places? I think the Surface Pro will be roughly as popular as all the x86-based tablets that came before it. There is a niche market there, but it doesn't seem to have ever amounted to more than 1 million units a year.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
endimion said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
endimion said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
superchunk said:
Pjams said:

As a gamer, I still have no idea why I would want this over any if it's competitors, or why would I want it over a PSV, am I missing something?

Why is this a big deal, it's just a tablet right? That's serious question, I have not formed an opinion.

Edit: "it's also vital to note that the WinRT variant won't ship with a 1080p panel, but a paltry 1366 x 768" - engadget

Is your PC literally only used for "core" (my emphasis) gaming? As such, then no portable device is probably justified to you as they don't do that.. yet.

As a general purpose laptop/tablet this is perfect. Especially with its obvious eventual massive integration with a desktop PC and for those with Xbox.

Does it take in CD's and DVD's?

for what purpose....??? i haven't used a cd or a dvd beside xbox video games in a decade.... 

You know for CD based programs, etc?

every pc game or piece of software are available digitally.... sometime even for cheaper.... I mean cd and dvd are terrible storage solution.... drives take room battery power and produce heat.... for new ultra portable device you are better off to have SD cards or USB storage solution... it makes more sens.... cd and dvd are the 21st century floppy disk...  by 2020 the only place you'll find one is on desktops and mostly because companies will need for old cd or dvd they still have....

but if people really want one you can find cd dvd rw combo external for 20 bucks or so.... so really a non issue here.... i almost bought one the other day thought about it for 10 min and realized i have no disc to put in (beside the couple dvds i never watch anymore) instead i'm gonna get that http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=740

i seriously wonder why people keep buying productivity software on dvd or cd when you can have all of them on a single storage device.... do people really love the office or creative suite box art that much??? 

The same reason people would rather buy disc based games. True ownership.

?? i have true ownership.... i have the iso and the licence number/code of all my productivity software.... that's why i was asking.... i see the use for other stuff you don't actually get on your hdd... but i can reinstall everything offline without a cd.... and even if you buy a soft in cd only you are better off putting an iso on a hdd for safety... that's why i asked for what purpose... cd dvd is a poor way to save anything...

plus on 32 or 64gb arm tablet and even on 128gb pc.... you are probably not gonna install a gazillion soft... just because of the space limitation... so once again putting a drive in there is just a waste of space energy and money... i doubt many people will use them as main computer... so once again even with cd or dvd only you are better off with a private cloud on witch you drop your iso's most router can get a networked hdd now... the one i'm gonna get is remotly accessible... so i could even deploy software i copied on there on other device without being in the LAN...

don't get me wrong i see your point... but on such device not really...

Well then, a tablet that actually doesn't seem like a complete waste of money.

Food for thought: Shove an apple in your brain

famousringo said:
superchunk said:
famousringo said:

Here's the thing, and I freely admit I'm speculating based on what I see:

Ultrabook - Good UX on desk

- Good UX on lap

- Terrible UX everywhere else

Surface Pro - Good UX on desk

- Mediocre UX everywhere else

All else being equal, are people really willing to trade a good lap UX for slightly less crappy UX in other places? I think the Surface Pro will be roughly as popular as all the x86-based tablets that came before it. There is a niche market there, but it doesn't seem to have ever amounted to more than 1 million units a year.

got a samsung series 7 slate... it's 1.9lbs i believe.... i use it with one hand holding and one typing all the time (like right now)... i run out of battery before it becomes an issue... and the biggest issue on pc tablets not selling is because win 7 is not touch friendly compare to arm on android or ios... and buying a pc tablet with android defeats the purpose productivity wise... if win 8 delivers and gets some buzz accross business and general customers i have no doubt those tablets would take off

Microsoft outsource Surface tablets to Pegatron; expected prices above US$599
Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 20 June 2012]

Sources from notebook players have revealed that Microsoft's 10.6-inch Surface tablet PCs will be outsourced to Pegatron Technology for assembly; however, there is still not a firm estimate for order volumes.

The sources also estimated the end-market price of the Windows 8 Pro-based Surface tablet PC with Ivy Bridge processor to be at least above US$799, while the Windows RT-based model, featuring Nvidia's Tegra 3, will be priced above US$599.

The sources pointed out that the industrial design of Microsoft's Surface tablet PCs should attract consumers in the enterprise market, but their high prices are expected to become the biggest obstacle in the market.

The sources also pointed out that the Surface tablet PCs have successfully attracted the attention of consumers, but the strategy also means that Microsoft will directly compete against its downstream partners in the Windows-based tablet PC market. Since Microsoft is only expected to receive limited profits from its own-brand tablet PC products, while greatly offending its clients, the strategy that Microsoft has taken is rather risky.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120619PD210.html