By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Introducing Microsoft Surface - Windows 8 first tablet and a full Microsoft hardware/software solution!

Will you buy one if the RT is ~$500 and Pro is ~$900

yes 115 52.27%

no 79 35.91%

see resultz 23 10.45%

Total:217
@S.T.A.G.E.

To stay on topic, use virtual CloneDrive.

Also, most programs are installed once and don't use disks after the fact. This isn't a gaming gig, it's a laptop alternative, and a fantastic one at that. Buy the disk, put in an external drive, install and you're done. Store the disk in your closet and Bob's your uncle.

@Euphoria

Imho to have an idea think of it like a glorified netbook. If you have any experience with those it could help. For example, I was able to play diablo I on my netbook, so the RT model would definitely support that.

The pro model has an i5 and can display 1080p graphics, so it's a fair assumption that it has a decent graphics card that would have little issue playing games like Team Fortress 2.

@Microsoft/Ballmer

Bravo Microsoft, I have been waiting for something like this for the longest time. You bring the best of the PC world and the Tablet world together in a complete and comprehensible package, with even digital ink. I'm am so impressed and my faith in humanity has been temporarily restored.

Around the Network

Oh, this looks so sex!

NiKKoM said:
really strange that MS is coming out with their own tablet.. they will have at least a price advantage of 80 bucks compared to other Windows RT tablets cause I don't think they will gonna charge themself license costs.. wonder how their OEM partners will act.. they can't compete with that..

Also the RT version will be very interessting cause it won't support the x86 software and I don't know if developers will make an ARM version of their software.. interessesting stuff from MS

They are still going to factor in the cost of a license in the price of the tablet.

@Pjams

As a gamer, I still have no idea why I would want this over any if it's competitors, or why would I want it over a PSV, am I missing something? 

Why is this a big deal, it's just a tablet right? That's serious question, I have not formed an opinion.

You wouldn't want this over any of its competitors, because you don't want either. You clearly don't want a tablet, let alone the one that is the most versatile by a landslide (the surface).

You wouldn't want it over a PSV, because you are a Core, and Mature gamer, you're above the need to use things like Microsoft Word on the go, Internet browsers with keyboard functionality, viewing PDF documents in full form.

You don't need much space, so you don't need a USB port to plug things like an EHD.

You wouldn't want a paltry  10.6-inch ClearType HD (1366x768) screen at an affordable price when you can have a vita at 32-bit color, 960 × 544 qHD @ 220 ppi[11]

You don't need to use the most common computer hardware interface known to man, i.e. a mouse.

You have tons of space at home for a standalone monitor, a PC tower and other such furniture, so you don't need an incredibly thin portable PC and tablet hybrid alternative to both a tablet and a PC.

So, I hope all that explains why you don't need it and are fully met with the Vita.

Cheers

a

Soleron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Soleron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I've taken media law, I know what is mine, no matter what the guidelines of that ownership is on PC. Disc based content is mine as long as it remains on my hardware. Arguing with you will not change what I know. Once disc-based media is gone there goes your rights especially when pertaining to first-sale doctrine. Well....that is speaking within the United States that is. First sale doctrine rights disappear once tangible sale items vanish and anything of value is solely digital.

Again...I don't want the copyright, nor the intellectual property, just the product which I purchase and hold in my hand. Without that proof of legal purchase the rules of ownership will soon change.

You are right, but .. very little of this has been tested in court. The Supreme Court could easily find that it IS a license rather than ownership.

Interesting...then why is Gamestop still in business and places like Best buy trying to go into used game sales? Again...first-user doctrine stands. The only true right one has left until full digital takes over.

In Vernor v. Autodesk, Inc. the 9th Circuit created a three-factor test to decide whether a particular software licensing agreement is successful in creating a licensing relationship with the end user. The factors include: 1) whether copyright owner specifies that a user is granted a license; 2) whether the copyright owner significantly restricts the user’s ability to transfer the software to others; and 3) whether the copyright owner imposes notable use restrictions on the software. In Vernor, Autodesk’s license agreement specified that it retains title to the software and the user is only granted a non-exclusive license. The agreement also had restrictions against modifying, translating, or reverse engineering the software, or removing any proprietary marks from the software packaging or documentation. The agreement also specified that software could not be transferred or leased without Autodesk's written consent, and could not be transferred outside the Western Hemisphere. Based on these facts, the 9th circuit held that the user is only a licensee of Autodesk’s msoftware, not an owner and hence the user could not resell the software on eBay without Autodesk’s permission. 

I know that's Wikipedia but still valid. The EULA was upheld. Other game companies only need to take it to th  same court to stop used sales.

Those companies are only still in business because MS and Sony haven't DRM'd their games. If they did, regardless of FSD it would be illegal to circumvent that protection under DMCA

Hmmmm...this country is going to shit because of the corporations and their greed. If First sale doctrine erodes where will people leave their unwanted disc-based goods? Over one hundred years of rights thrown down the shitter. All the more reason to give a damn eh? I'd say so.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
No answers?

I needs to know if this Pro model can run Steam and the games on Steam?

What does it's GPU compare to? Can it run Minecraft and other Indie PC titles?

Can it run my torrent programs and download movies/music/etc... just like I was able to do on my laptop?

I REAAAAAAAALLY want one if this truly is a full functional PC. I have been waiting for this forever, which is why I never went out and got myself a tablet.

Yeah, my girl has a Kindle, but no tablet compares to an actual PC.

Well the Pro model will have an ivy bridge i5 in it which means it will be running with the integrated Intel HD 4000 gpu. It's alright, but don't expect any miracles. Indie games should be alright. Graphics intensive games will probably not be able to run at the 1080p resolution of the screen.

It will also depend on how much RAM MS decides to include. I don't know the min. Requirements for Win8. Most other tablets use of 1GB RAM I believe, but iOS and Android are not as "heavy" as Windows and don't require as much RAM. MS will most likely go for the minimum they can get away with. More RAM = higher cost.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

smbu2000 said:
Euphoria14 said:
No answers?

I needs to know if this Pro model can run Steam and the games on Steam?

What does it's GPU compare to? Can it run Minecraft and other Indie PC titles?

Can it run my torrent programs and download movies/music/etc... just like I was able to do on my laptop?

I REAAAAAAAALLY want one if this truly is a full functional PC. I have been waiting for this forever, which is why I never went out and got myself a tablet.

Yeah, my girl has a Kindle, but no tablet compares to an actual PC.

Well the Pro model will have an ivy bridge i5 in it which means it will be running with the integrated Intel HD 4000 gpu. It's alright, but don't expect any miracles. Indie games should be alright. Graphics intensive games will probably not be able to run at the 1080p resolution of the screen.

It will also depend on how much RAM MS decides to include. I don't know the min. Requirements for Win8. Most other tablets use of 1GB RAM I believe, but iOS and Android are not as "heavy" as Windows and don't require as much RAM. MS will most likely go for the minimum they can get away with. More RAM = higher cost.

As long as it can run Indie games and some Minecraft I am happy as a pig in shit.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

While I really like the direction MS is going, they still have a long road ahead of them... but I do think the road just got a little shorter.

My thoughts:

1. I hate Windows RT. I know they didn't have much of a choice but it's going to be difficult to convince developers to make software for an entirely different version of Windows alongside their current version.
2. It's too big. 10.6"? Portability is key here, Microsoft. Make it small-ish. The iPad is a great size, as are most 10" Android tablets.
3. It'd be really nice if that keyboard was flexible, like the iPad Smart Cover. That way you could roll it back behind the machine, just like the Smart Cover.
4. That kickstand is dumb. It should be way smaller. Make the device thinner and the kickstand smaller.
5. Apps, apps, apps. You need them before I'll buy this device.

With that out of the way, Microsoft impressed the hell out of me with this device. You know what I thought when I saw Surface? This feels like an Apple product from 3-5 years ago. It's fresh, well thought out, and very pretty. I'm a big fan of this new Microsoft. They're out-Appling Apple.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I'm sure I read somewhere that apps created for win 8 metro UI are either platform independent or that the dev kit can compile RT versions without any extra code. I'm probably wrong on both accounts though.

Give me my Civilisation V tablet now.

If it'll run Civ V and Steam - sign me up.

A beautiful piece of work.

Keep the price reasonable in Australia though.