By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U Launch Line Up vs. Wii U Hardware...

Pavolink said:
kitler53 said:
TheSource said:
*OP*

i (and the other ~120M households that already own a ps3 or 360) won't be enticed by any of those titles.  why the hell would i get new hardware to play the same game i already can buy for the hardware i own??  with dragon quest X already out of wii, i don't see that being an enticing title either.

of what's left a few (like sing) look terrible but in short what i see is only titles for the "casuals".  Wii Fit, NSMB, Just Dance, Nintendo Land.  Pikmin, zombieU, rayman will probably all be good games but i dout any of them are real big or system sellers. 

wii U won't be any where near the kind of flop the virtual boy was but i just can't see it doing anywhere near what the wii did either.  So what did the ps3 and 360 do in their first years?  I see the wiiU having a similar launch.

1. Unless you live in Japan, I doubt you'll see DQX on Wii. If the game comes outside, it will likely be on Wii U.

2. In what kind of world NSMB, Wii Fit and Just Dance are no big sellers?

1. my bad, i guess i didn't realize that DQX was japan only for the wii.

2. there is a period between nintendo land and pikmin.  i'm saying NSMB, just dance, and nintendo land are the big sellers but more "casual" then "core" oriented.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
milkyjoe said:
kitler53 said:

i (and the other ~120M households that already own a ps3 or 360) won't be enticed by any of those titles.  why the hell would i get new hardware to play the same game i already can buy for the hardware i own??  with dragon quest X already out of wii, i don't see that being an enticing title either.

of what's left a few (like sing) look terrible but in short what i see is only titles for the "casuals".  Wii Fit, NSMB, Just Dance, Nintendo Land.  Pikmin, zombieU, rayman will probably all be good games but i dout any of them are real big or system sellers. 

wii U won't be any where near the kind of flop the virtual boy was but i just can't see it doing anywhere near what the wii did either.  So what did the ps3 and 360 do in their first years?  I see the wiiU having a similar launch.

You need to learn to not talk in such absolutes. I am a PS3 owner. I already own Arkham City on PS3. I am going to buy the Armoured Edition of Arkham City on Wii U.

According to your absolute, I should not be doing that. But I will be.

But in all fairness, are you buying a Wii to specifically play the Armored Edition of Arkham city....or are you buying a WiiU and buying the Armored Edition of Arkham City?

It's a ginuine question, because I see things from the perspective of "Why would I buy a new system just to play Batman: Arkham City when I have it on the PS3?" I feel that it's the same reason some people who own an xbox 360 don't buy a PS3 and vise versa. It's a lot of cool features but is it worth the price of a new console to play the game that way?

to add ...

it a huge part of why the vita is floundering.  why get a vita to play games when a majority of them are console ports?

kitler53 said:

2. there is a period between nintendo land and pikmin.  i'm saying NSMB, just dance, and nintendo land are the big sellers but more "casual" then "core" oriented.

Oops. My bad. Then agree. I can't see ZombiU gettng the same sales that Red Steel on Wii launch.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I will get the WiiU versions of the 3rd party games

if only we got all three ME games then I would buy them all on WiiU

now I need RE6, Bioshock infinite, Tomb raider, Metro LL, Far cry 3 and watch dogs!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Pavolink said:
kitler53 said:

Oops. My bad. Then agree. I can't see ZombiU gettng the same sales that Red Steel on Wii launch.

*checks VGCz numbers*

looks like red steel only did 0.64M units.  i don't see any reason why zombieU couldn't get that but that would still be a very mild sales compared to what NSMB, Just dance, and nintendo land are sure to do.

Around the Network

^^ ^
Red steel 2 made that number
im pretty sure RS1 sold better

kitler53 said:

*checks VGCz numbers*

looks like red steel only did 0.64M units.  i don't see any reason why zombieU couldn't get that but that would still be a very mild sales compared to what NSMB, Just dance, and nintendo land are sure to do.

Now that you mention, there must be something wrong with numbers as the game was a million seller and that's I was using as an example. *shrugs*

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I agree, Wii U seems to have a pretty solid launch lineup, in terms of quality, sales potential, and diversity. You've got Pikmin, which will appeal to the Gamecube owners, the more casual stuff like Sing, Wii Fit U, Nintendoland, more arcadey-oldschool games like NSMB U and Rayman, and more core focused titles like ZombiU in addition to the third party ports like Assassin's Creed 3.

The key will be if Nintendo can sustain their sales with a constant flow of these kinds of quality games. And looking at their track record, that is doubtful, especially if third parties are going to continue to snub Nintendo's consoles. But that said, as much as I've whined about the Wii U and voices my skepticism, at the end of the day it will be about the games, and right now, despite Nintendo's poor conference, despite all the negativity at message boards and amongst the Patchers of the world, it is actually shaping up to have a great lineup of games, especially if you were unable to play HD greats like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Arkam City, etc.

I don't really care one way or another about that tablet controller. I don't care whether it is innovative, whether Sony and MS have rendered it "irrelivent" with their own tablet connectivity, whether it changes gameplay, blah blah blah.. I just want great games.

I will most likely be buying one at launch thanks to the strong launch lineup. Hell, I bought a Gamecube and Wii at launch, and they both had worse lineups than this.

As it is right now, I'm getting the WiiU for one reason: NSMBU, Batman and Darksiders 2 - but I know there will be more games to come!

Games I might get: Pikmin 3, ZombiU, AC3 and Aliens

All in all that's 7 titles right of the bat I wouldn't mind playing/having - and that's for the first month! Thta's not bad, not bad at all.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

No, honestly they're in huge trouble in attracting the hardcore gamers. So far the Wii U is perceived 100% same as the Wii, meaning there is Nintendo games + casual fest.

Lost opportunity I'd say because this mission was all about the first year, to convince the hardcore gamers and to give them the opportunity to jump into next gen early. After the first year (less than that in reality) the gamer's mindset is quickly conquered by the PS4 and X720.

They have no 1st party Must Have (Mario Super brothers Wii U looks too similar to the Wii and 3DS versions, it's essentially the same game) and I think 3d party support is much less than anybody would have imagined/feared (lack of multiplatforms and 3d party exclusives such as Zombi U screams "I'm a casual game!").

I originally thought the Wii U would clearly sell over 50 million lifetime but I doubt it now.