By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U Launch Line Up vs. Wii U Hardware...

I'm not entirely convinced Wii U will enhance gameplay and create new genres like Wii did, but it should enhance gameplay more than 3DS did...and possibly in similar ways to how DS did.

For the launch though, it occured to me that the line up is actually very strong in terms of active fanbases, genres, and diversity. Let's take a look -

Launch Window Headliners (Franchises with about 10m fans or more)

- Wii U Fit  (Wii Fit sold 23m, Wii Fit Plus 20m)

- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U (28m for New Super Mario Bros. DS, 25m for NSMB Wii)

- Just Dance 4 (Just Dance 3 is around 11m between Wii, Kinect and Move)

- Assassin's Creed 3  (Assassin's Creed 1-2 are around 9-10m each)

Nintendo Supplementary Hits (1-3m)

- Wii U Panorama

- Pikmin 3 (Pikmin 1-2 solid like 1-2m each)

Potential Breakout Hits (500k - 5m):

- Legoland

- Sing

- Project 100

- Nintendoland

- Tank Tank Tank

- Game & Wario

- Scribblenauts

- Rayman Legends

- Zombi U

- Your Shape

- Sports Connection (Ubisoft)

- Aliens

Major Ports / Minor Multiplats (200k - 1m)

- Mass Effect 3 (1m on PS3 / X360)

- Arkham City (6m on X360 / PS3)

- Darksiders II (Darksiders I did 1m on X360 / PS3)

- Skylanders

- Call of Duty?

- Dragon Quest X?

- Tekken

- Ninja Gaiden

In terms of announced software, assuming all the games exist, it's fairly likely the above games can sell 70-100m units of software lifetime and all seem to be real.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Dragon Quest X should be put in the Second Category if we are going by international sales.

Compare to other systems launch this is not half bad, but I don't think games like Batman: Arkham City or Mass Effect 3 will sell big, only die hard Nintendo fans who don't own any system outside the Wii will buy those games. If games like Wii U Fit and Wii Sing are well marketed (which Nintendo usually does pretty well) then they will most likely sell a lot. New Super Mario Bros U will sell a lot, there is no denying in that. 

Unfortunately the only people that will buy Pikmin 3 are the hardcore Nintendo fans so if it sells more than 2m I'll be surprise.

Nintendo and PC gamer

I can understand people not liking the games announced, but I still see people around saying Wii U will flop, and it just doesn't likely to me. The Western Wii launch line up was (Nov 2006 to March 2007)...

Wii Sports - ended up huge, but no one knew it would be at the time.

Wii Play - see above

Zelda - a 5-7m franchise typically

Raving Rabits - new IP, became an annual 1-2m hit

Red Steel - new IP, become a 500k-1m hit

Excite Truck - 1m as filler

Sonic - 2-3m

Some EA sports games, COD, and niche-y games as filler.  2007 was a good year for Wii, but not at the start. Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Batallion Wars, Mario & Sonic, Mario Party, Guitar Hero III, Madden, Zack & Wiki, RE4, and the others that ended up as niche level to major hits came later.

Theoretically, the Wii U launches with the most established / popular franchises a console has seen I'd say. I can't think of PS1 / PS2 / PS3, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Xbox, or X360 launching with so much established, popular content. It's not necessarily the best line up of all time, but it's possibly the most "popular" line up ever, if it all does come by March 2013.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

It's hard to believe that a console with a proper 2D Mario at launch can flop on its firsts couple of months.

Even without no big surprises on its launch window, I'm confident that New Super Mario U and Wii Fit are enough to ensure a good holiday season to the Wii U.

Perhaps the best *big* thing that Nintendo could do to really improve its sales would be a new Wii Sports at the launch window, however they believe that Nintendo Land is going to be the next Wii Sports (I which disagree by the way, because from what I saw so far its controls aren't as intuitive as Wii Sports' are).

Anyway, new I'm really curios to see how its sales will perform compared to the HD consoles especially in December.

Outside of Zombi U there isn't really anything i'm interested in. I own a PS360 and i'm not going to rebuy games to play them in a different form. I want new games built for the Wii U and not glorified ports.

Wagram said:
Outside of Zombi U there isn't really anything i'm interested in. I own a PS360 and i'm not going to rebuy games to play them in a different form. I want new games built for the Wii U and not glorified ports.

dood I just watched the Wii U trailer for Ninja Gaiden III, and holy fuck I need to buy that! That thing is way way glorified!

It'll have a very strong launch; I mean, they've got a new 2D Mario for crying out loud. There are plenty of Nintendo fans looking to upgrade and early adopters that will make it an easy sell-out this holiday.

I think NintendoLand could do huge numbers if handled right (E.g. Packed In or sold at a very cheap price/with a controller). Wii U has got itself a huge launch, the third parties are there (Holy Crap Ubisoft has done amazing things, I'll be buying practically everything they've got coming for Wii U.), as is a new 2D Mario and PIKMIN 3!!! It is possibly the best launch in history and Nintendo will do very well with it. People who are unhappy with it just set their own expectations stupidly high and are just going "BAWHAAW NO ZELDA OR METROID OR SMASH BROS., I ARE CRY, NINTENDO IS DOOMED." Skyward Sword came out last year on Wii, there is very very very little chance before the one on 3DS that is already in development coming out, Smash Bros. just started development, we won't see that for years, Metroid is a possibility from Retro, but I think they're probably working on Star Fox.