By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now Tomb Raider is coming to the Wii U? Anyone else excited for this great looking game?

zarx said:
jlrx said:

So they made the rumor, and killed the rumor, but has anything truly official been stated yet?

Speaking in an FAQ on the Eidos Games forum, she said Crystal Dynamics isn't interested in creating a port for Wii U.

"If we started building a game for the Wii U we would build it very differently and we would build it with unique functionality."

However, since the re-imagined Tomb Raider started production prior to Nintendo's announcement of the Wii U and is designed around the current generation platforms, the studio has no plans to release the game on Nintendo's upcoming console.

"When we started developing the game we made a conscious decision that it was all about building the game for a platform and making sure the game was specific to that platform. Given that we've been working on the game quite a while before Wii U was announced I think it would not be right to try and port it across."

The FAQ also confirmed the developer is "in the middle of discussions with a company" about a Mac version of Tomb Raider, but it is unlikely to be released at the same time as its Xbox 360, PS3 and PC counterparts.

http://www.powergamescheats.com/gaming-news/67-pc-games-news/9631-tomb-raider-wii-u-would-need-to-be-built-from-scratch.html

It looks like when they say unique functionality they are picturing customizing (ala motion controls) but it not being neccessary it is possible they could go straight port, no tablet integration (wii u pro controller) from the looks of it.

Around the Network

I think what we are seeing is the WiiU is caught in the three-year game development cycle.

Since the console has only been around for two years ... little that was "big" for the PS3 and Xbox 360 will be coming over immediately. Also, despite its presence, no third party wants to be the first to not use the screen -- for whatever reason (they would labeled lazy).

At least that is my take. Not sure whether or not this is anything to really worry about. I do know that it is something that I probably was not going to buy, so I won't lose any sleep over it.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Well... that sure sucks for the people who wanted it. I personally have never played a TR Game so I wouldn't care either which way.

Wait... they're not making a Wii U version because it has MORE features than the competition?

*Incomprehensible sputtering*

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
Wait... they're not making a Wii U version because it has MORE features than the competition?

It's obvious that the developer (Chrystal-something??) has been paid not to develop for Nintendo consoles ;)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

I'll rent it at best. I personally think it's a little late for Tomb Raider, especially when we got action/adventure/platformers juggernauts like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Salnax said:

RolStoppable openly vindicated at last.

Wouldn't surprise me. Everything seems to be ported over; that's a good thing! Even if they haven't confirmed it, or outright rejected it...

I wonder what they'll do with the screen on the controller. Possibilities...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I know this is a thread about it coming to Wii-U, but just my 2c on the game as a whole:

That trailer really put me off it. I don't know what it was about it, but it just didn't feel like Tomb Raider. I know, I know - origin story, but there's developing a good origin story that stays true to the original design, and then there's this.

Honestly, I haven't been the biggest fan of CD's work on Tomb Raider. I totally respect them for breathing new life into the series after Core Design messed things up, but they shifted things too far from what made Tomb Raider great. It used to be this really challenging action/platformer/puzzler with some great level design and set pieces. I remember the first time I played the first level in Tomb Raider 2, towards the end as you were exploring the area you fell into this Indiana-Jones death trap type scenario with rolling boulders and spiked pits, it was just incredible.

Fast forward to this and I can't see much of the fiddly platforming, I don't see much tomb-plundering and Lara's new design kind of pisses me off to be honest. I can see what they're going for (vulnerable Lara getting stronger as the game goes on) but it remains to be seen if they'll pull it off.

Still, can only hope for the best!

So it was a mistake after all? Huh.

Well, they are a subsidiary of SE, who have been shitting on Nintendo consoles for 15 years. Nothing new here.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.