By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony falls to a new 30 YEAR low. Markets just dont believe them.

Mr Puggsly said:
I hope this means I only have to buy two consoles next gen.

You owned all three home consoles this generation? (Are we counting handhelds?)

I honestly never saw the need for more than two home consoles. WiiC (plus 360 when my brother is at home... so that's kind of three haha.) brought me the goods this generation.

Around the Network

I'm thinking PS4 is a loooooooong way away at this point.

They simply can't afford the launch of a new console and the Vita is already massively draining them of money in the video game hardware sector. I think it'll be a while before they can afford to even think about launching another console.

Which actually sucks pretty hard.

Really the question at this point is where is the bottom.

Former something....

The mighty have Fallen

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

As bad as this is financially for Sony right now, they aren't that bad. They have significant cash reserves, as well as the fact that most of the divisions are expected to make a profit next year. They also shouldn't have the huge losses that they did this year.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
I'm thinking PS4 is a loooooooong way away at this point.

They simply can't afford the launch of a new console and the Vita is already massively draining them of money in the video game hardware sector. I think it'll be a while before they can afford to even think about launching another console.

Which actually sucks pretty hard.

They can afford the launch of a new console. If you mean RIGHT NOW,  Of course not.

Holiday 2013/Early 2014? Yeah, the Vita will have taken off by then. The PS3 should be mass market price by then as well. PS4 launch is easily affordable.

Sony isn't broke.

Lets panic shall we?

Yay!!!

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
logic56 said:
lol but look on the bright side, at least you guys have something to talk about XD

they are waiting ...

lol that was probably the most appropriate post i've ever read

Synergy is what ails Sony. To be more specific the desire to be both insular and synergistic. In the marketplace any company needs to choose its battles, and make the best decisions on a product by product basis. Others have levied a finger at the PS3 as an example, and it is a perfect example. Had Sony not seen the product as a means to create a market for other Sony products. The product could have been tailor fit for continuing a market domination while at the same time being highly profitable.

Instead in serving synergy which was not integral to the product being successful. Sony forfeited what amounted to a cornered market, turned a profit maker in to a unprofitable product line, and even managed to harm their own software development studios. It didn't even help the parasite divisions. You can argue it spurred a new video format to sole survivor status, but ironically the increased pace has only served to reduce the profitability of that product line. While the chip business only seems to have ever lost the company money.

Now were that not all bad enough. This synergy has another consequence. It makes the competition much more antagonistic then it would otherwise be. For example we all suspect that the only reason that Microsoft doesn't support a certain media format is that Sony used it in their console business. Which only lead Microsoft to go out of its way to exacerbate a format war. Which cost Sony a hell of a lot of money. Had that format not been in that console would Microsoft have even bothered.

The irony of it all is if Sony decided to do either one thing or the other. They would probably be profitable, but because they try to do both at the same time. They only double their number of hurdles and opponents. That is what Sony really needs to do take their divisions, and make it about one thing or another. Take their gaming for example. Were they to go solely software they would make money. Were they to go hardware well then they could be selling components to their current competitors, and once again making money.

However right now they are hurting both. By operating in a synergistic loop. Which undercuts their own ability to make the best possible profit while making more enemies then they could afford to have. What Sony needs to be doing is making peace with some of their rivals so they can have partners to be synergistic with rather then going it alone, and trying to do everything in house. If they were for example to subcontract with one of their gaming rivals. They could work in a bigger market with more opportunities. They wouldn't have to own the platform, but could get concessions. Then that company might reciprocate with one of their other products.

Sony could be successful by looking to be a better partner with other companies. Instead of competing with just about everyone on the planet. That way they can gain access to things that might drive product lines. For the sake of a example if they weren't at Microsoft's throat, and were making games for Microsoft's platform. Then it would be possible for them to lobby to incorporate Kinect into their devices say Televisions which might drive up greater demand for their products, or they could get preferential treatment for their music business on Live.

Anyway I just don't see anything like that happening. I see Sony trying to continue to wage wars on far too many fronts while not creating allies to work with to mutual benefit, and it will stay that way until Sony is forced to sell worn out units at a severe discount.

sad.man.loves.vgc said:
MonstaMack said:
My guess is people are buying more cheap/crappy TVs. Sony = Quality when it comes to TVs, that's what I tell everyone and It's sad when people go for the cheapest TV only to face problems in the long run.

No..

I have to agree, since the 90's Sony have been lacking in the quality department for their electronics. I have went through so many of their products it is not funny. So Sony has been avoid buying in terms of customer electronics for my family, with the exception of their game consoles.

Synergy as well as what was ailing GM before the bailout. Have too many simular products and models that can be slimmed down to make a leaner line up.