By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony falls to a new 30 YEAR low. Markets just dont believe them.

@ VGKing

I bought a Vita the day it came out and love it. That being said I don't ever see it "taking off" tbh. I think the console is gonna be a permanent flop.

And PS3 being Mass Market price doesn't help Sony in any way, in fact they themselves blamed the losses in the Playstation division partially due to the current price cut. Sony isn't dropping Vita or PS3 prices for at least another year.

IDK if things don't turn around, and I mean if they don't turn around quick as in the next 12 months, you honestly have to question if Sony will have the financials in place to support the launch of yet another console on a world wide scale.

Don't get me wrong though I hope that they do I'm more than ready for new consoles I'm just simply saying it makes one wonder.

Around the Network

Of course, I dont help by buying only "preowned" Sony consoles and software, Sorry the Nintendo fanboy in me does not allow me to buy "new" games other than for a Nintendo console. :D

I can imagine Kowenicki bro-fisting himself everytime he reads a piece of  bad news about Sony. And he's wearing this  X BAWKS! tee-shirt.

Bad jokes aside, Sony's entire marketing department needs a revamp. They need to learn from Microsoft.

Juma009 said:
Of course, I dont help by buying only "preowned" Sony consoles and software, Sorry the Nintendo fanboy in me does not allow me to buy "new" games other than for a Nintendo console. :D

That has negative effects on the gaming industry, not just Sony.

Smeags said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I hope this means I only have to buy two consoles next gen.

You owned all three home consoles this generation? (Are we counting handhelds?)

I honestly never saw the need for more than two home consoles. WiiC (plus 360 when my brother is at home... so that's kind of three haha.) brought me the goods this generation.

I was referring to home consoles. But I actually do own a 360, PS3, Wii, DS, and PSP.

I don't NEED them all per se. But I wanted them all to play some exclusives.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Dodece said:
Synergy is what ails Sony. To be more specific the desire to be both insular and synergistic. In the marketplace any company needs to choose its battles, and make the best decisions on a product by product basis. Others have levied a finger at the PS3 as an example, and it is a perfect example. Had Sony not seen the product as a means to create a market for other Sony products. The product could have been tailor fit for continuing a market domination while at the same time being highly profitable.

Instead in serving synergy which was not integral to the product being successful. Sony forfeited what amounted to a cornered market, turned a profit maker in to a unprofitable product line, and even managed to harm their own software development studios. It didn't even help the parasite divisions. You can argue it spurred a new video format to sole survivor status, but ironically the increased pace has only served to reduce the profitability of that product line. While the chip business only seems to have ever lost the company money.

Now were that not all bad enough. This synergy has another consequence. It makes the competition much more antagonistic then it would otherwise be. For example we all suspect that the only reason that Microsoft doesn't support a certain media format is that Sony used it in their console business. Which only lead Microsoft to go out of its way to exacerbate a format war. Which cost Sony a hell of a lot of money. Had that format not been in that console would Microsoft have even bothered.

The irony of it all is if Sony decided to do either one thing or the other. They would probably be profitable, but because they try to do both at the same time. They only double their number of hurdles and opponents. That is what Sony really needs to do take their divisions, and make it about one thing or another. Take their gaming for example. Were they to go solely software they would make money. Were they to go hardware well then they could be selling components to their current competitors, and once again making money.

However right now they are hurting both. By operating in a synergistic loop. Which undercuts their own ability to make the best possible profit while making more enemies then they could afford to have. What Sony needs to be doing is making peace with some of their rivals so they can have partners to be synergistic with rather then going it alone, and trying to do everything in house. If they were for example to subcontract with one of their gaming rivals. They could work in a bigger market with more opportunities. They wouldn't have to own the platform, but could get concessions. Then that company might reciprocate with one of their other products.

Sony could be successful by looking to be a better partner with other companies. Instead of competing with just about everyone on the planet. That way they can gain access to things that might drive product lines. For the sake of a example if they weren't at Microsoft's throat, and were making games for Microsoft's platform. Then it would be possible for them to lobby to incorporate Kinect into their devices say Televisions which might drive up greater demand for their products, or they could get preferential treatment for their music business on Live.

Anyway I just don't see anything like that happening. I see Sony trying to continue to wage wars on far too many fronts while not creating allies to work with to mutual benefit, and it will stay that way until Sony is forced to sell worn out units at a severe discount.

Good post, despite some questionable punctuation.

The last thing I see Sony doing is going third party with their games division (as a Nintendo fan there is nothing I would want more ) , but I completely agree about the obsession with synnergy basically crippling the company during the last ten years.

This really is a huge problem. Since the 90s Sony has been planning for a major convergence revolution that never happened the way they predicted it. It's quite sad really, they saw a lot of trends ahead of their competitors, but completely failed in predicting how those trends would play out. They were essentially blinded by their own vision of the future, and while this vision was far from being completely wrong, it was fundamentally misguided due to Sony severely underestimating the difficulty of the task at hand, as well as completely missing the boat on the software revolution of the 90s.

Subsequently they have almost universally bet on all the wrong horses. I've been trying to think about one or two major mistakes the company has made since then, but really there isn't a short list of things that would need to change in order for the company to return to a position of leadership. As Dodece says, Synnergy is what ails Sony, but on the other hand to many of its customers and even to itself, at least for the last ten to fifteen years synnergy IS Sony. They've pursued this goal so single-mindedly I doubt they have the ability to form a different path for the company as a whole. Even if they can accomplish this I don't see them remaining competitive, as whatever it would be will involve facing companies with more experience than them. Many of these companies are also much smaller, and hence more agile and also more focused, both qualities Sony lacks.

Sadly I can't see any available move that would do more than delay their inevitable demise. I guess Sony is an idea who's time has passed.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Jereel Hunter said:
mantlepiecek said:
Jereel Hunter said:
mantlepiecek said:
Argh_College said:
I´ve said this since 2006 that Sony lost their mind with Ps3 and will go down... no one believed me.

im god

PS3 is hardly Sony's issue. In fact it's probably one of the better parts of Sony.

It is... currently. But over the course of the entire generation, it will still have likely lost Sony a couple Billion dollars. It's initial losses are unrecoverable. And therein lies the problem with Sony - they have a console that will pass 75M lifetime sales, probably rack up almost a billion game sales, and still end in the red over the course of the generation. They're strategy relied on them having another cycle of PS2 level domination - nothing less could bring them a profit.

That is not true. They probably overestimated their profit through blu-ray because that is the only reason PS3 has made so much of a loss on the Hardware. Everything else was minor. They knew what they were getting into when they made blu-ray a standard for the PS3. I doubt they expected the PS3 itself to pay for it

That is absolutely true - it's a fact.

http://www.1up.com/news/sony-lost-ps3-ps2

There are numerous articles on it. The PS3's initial losses were more than the profits of the entire PS2 generation. And PS3 is obviously less profitable than the PS2 was. They knew what they were getting into, they just didn't realize that people wouldn't be willing to shell out $600 for their system.

I know they lost money with the PS3, but it was because of the blu-ray add-on. The PS3 itself was cheaper than standalone blu-ray players at release. Meaning they took a huge hit because of the blu-ray tech.

Well, people said that Nintendo's losses were bad

In seriousness, I don't see much of a recovery anytime soon. TV sales are stagnating, with companies like Toshiba and LG gaining more market share, their new handheld games console is having a shaky start, and steps taken to stop the rot are only making things worse, because the shareholders have lost confidence.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

This will affect the PS4. A company that is worth 17 billion USD can't afford a product that loses 3 billion USD in the first 2 years.

So if the Wii U is not the big technical jump from PS3 / 360 and the PS4 either, MS might ruin their console business in the next couple of years. All they need to do is release a powerful console and sell it at a loss so it is on par with the PS4 when it comes to the price point, but offers way better tech behind it. It could work out.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Sony will take a similar approach to the PS4 like they took with the PS Vita. So yeah, expect them to go guns blazing next gen, but with cheaper hardware. Rumor already has it that they are using AMD chips this time around, and blu-ray is obviously cheaper now, so overall it's going to be nowhere as costly as PS3 was.

There is still a good chance MS might have a stronger hardware on their hands this time around, but the leap from PS3 to PS4 will be generational leap no doubt.