By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Was the Wii a fad?

Yes 131 38.76%

No 152 44.97%

Irrevelant, next-gen is coming 28 8.28%

see results 26 7.69%

Total:337

Fad or not, though, it's memorable to say the least in its right. Hell, I still have reason to believe Pokémon is a fad that just happened to turn into a cult game.

Around the Network

Part of the Wii was a fad...but the twenty million or so hardcore Nintendo fans who bought a Wii for all those franchise games probably didn't think so. Maybe people buying it just for Wii Sports and then never touching it again would be a "fad", but the Wii overall was not a fad.

Soriku said:
Mummelmann said:

I said no such thing, nor was that my point. The Wii's decline is not normal, it went from outselling the PS3 and 360 combined to selling less than each individually in a timespan of less than two years, that is unprecedented. It has seen decreases of over 40% yoy for some time, which is also unheard of, especially for a market leader.

You don't have to dig very far back on vgchartz to find a lot of threads that explicitly stated that the Wii would continue to grow, would sell incredible amounts, would get tremendous 3rd party support and would most assuredly be the longest living console this gen. This was not predicted, or rather, stated as fact, by only the ones with insane predictions of 200 million + consoles sold, it was the general consensus among Wii fans on the site. You and I have both been on here long enough to know that this is true. HD console growth and lack of tech causing the Wii to drop was also not an option to these people, the Wii was every bit as future proof as the others.

There were also those who didn't believe in the Wii's longevity, I was one of them. "The Wii is a sprinter and not a long distance runner." is what I used to say. I said silly things in the past and I stand by having said them, that's how you learn to moderate yourself and show an ounce of humility, why are there so many who can't do the same?

I wasn't talking to you about the fad thing btw, just in general.

I don't see what's the point in saying the Wii couldn't sell more than the PS3 and 360 combined after 2 years. Why does it have to do that? The Wii still sold SIGNIFICANTLY higher than each individually. Remember that the PS3 and 360 compete against each other. Besides, in 2009, its 3rd year, the PS3 and 360 combined barely outsold the Wii combined. It wasn't until 2010 that the gap decreased, but the Wii still sold higher than it did in 2010 than it did in 2007, and still higher than the PS3 and 360 individually as well. The Wii was, and still is, a market leader because it outsold the PS3 and 360. Just because it can't beat them combined doesn't change anything. It doesn't have to adhere to the standards of the past generations.

And I don't really care about whoever made crappy predictions about the Wii. People have made crappy predictions about everything this entire generation. People expected the PS3 to outsell the Wii for example. It doesn't matter anymore.

Which is what I've always been saying and this is my point exactly; the Wii has not behaved like any average or normal console.

Soriku said:

I don't see what's the point in saying the Wii couldn't sell more than the PS3 and 360 combined after 2 years. Why does it have to do that? The Wii still sold SIGNIFICANTLY higher than each individually. Remember that the PS3 and 360 compete against each other. Besides, in 2009, its 3rd year, the PS3 and 360 combined barely outsold the Wii combined. It wasn't until 2010 that the gap decreased, but the Wii still sold higher than it did in 2010 than it did in 2007, and still higher than the PS3 and 360 individually as well. The Wii was, and still is, a market leader because it outsold the PS3 and 360. Just because it can't beat them combined doesn't change anything. It doesn't have to adhere to the standards of the past generations.

It is not the point, that the Wii can't outsell the HD-consoles combines, but each of the two competitors can outsell the Wii now alone. Not for a month or two, but constantly. Nut by a little amount, but by big margins. That is something that as far as I know never before happened in the console-industry - that the gen-leader is late on outsold by a big amount and for a long time by a competitor. And in this case both competitors do that.

It is not worrying, that the Wii can't outsell the PS3 and XBOX360 combined, it is worrying that it can't them outsell alone.

And, at the moment even the gen-leader is not so sure anmore. The Wii is 30 million units in front of it's competitors. The holidays this year the Wii will be outsold clearly, as the Wii-U will arrive, while the successors of PS3 and X360 aren't available yet. We don't know for sure, then these successors will hit the market. We suspect 2013, butif teh successors hit later, they will sold on for a time. Even after the successors hit, they can sell. Look at the PS2. It does no longer seem outlandish, that a competitor can close this 30M-gap. It seems very unlikely now, but it is no longer impossible.

Sure, my thread-starter was provocative (fad and all), but you ignore that this gen shows a very unusual sales pattern.

Let's take a look at the yearly market-shares to illustrate that:

2008: Wii: 53,3% (24,2M), PS3: 22,5% (10,2M), X360: 24,0% (10,9M)

2011: Wii: 29,2% (11,6M), PS3: 35,7% (14,1M), X360: 34,9% (13,8M)

It is usual, that later in a gen ALL competitors drop in the amounts of sold units. But the market-share usually moves only in little steps.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

If the Wii was, Kinect/Move were as well. Simple as that.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Have you seen the sales for the latest NPD? I'm pretty sure there's no reason to worry about the PS3 and 360 ever making that gap. 2013 seems like a sure bet for successors to me, though it might not be till late 2013. Sales are starting to slow down all-around.

Yep, I think so too. But outselling the Wii changed from completely impossible to unlikely as the Wii nearly halfed it's market-share.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Soriku said:
Lafiel said:

uhm..  that's funny, as far as I remember you guys were "expecting" it to behave very much like the PS2 in sales at that time, just at a way higher lvl

I must have missed the posts that said it was going to struggle to hit the 100m mark before its successor is released between all the 200m+ predictions.

The Wii really was on track to sell higher than the PS2. Unfortunately, the ball was really dropped. And you must not be remembering correctly, because the 200+ mil predictions were ridiculous and only a small amount of people actually expected that.

Either way this is besides the point.

If I remember correctly, both john lucas and Avinash (had a sheep as avatar) believed that.Was there anyone else?

Gilgamesh said:

FAD: 

- A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

- a thing that becomes very popular in a short amount of time, and then is forgotten at about the same speed.

- Something that will become HUGE then fizzle into nothingness and be totally forgotten. 

A desirable trend characterized with lots of enthusiasm and energy over a short period of time. Fads are often seen with common consumer items, especially around a holiday season.

By definition the Wii is a fad.

Your definition implies a period of no more than a few days to a few weeks; the Wii was selling well for years. So by your definition, the Wii was not a fad.

Just because the Wii is not selling as well after years on the market as its competitors does not mean it was a fad either. Does that make the SNES a fad too since after selling well for an even shorter period of time than the Wii, its sales declined? How about the N64? It was selling well for literally a few months before falling into second place.

In the end, the Wii has sold nearly 100 million units, and its the only home console that will achieve the 100 million mark this generation.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

although ive recently gotten into the wii, looking back it was a trendy device for many to have but now its ran out of steam. just look at install base and compare the SW sales to 360 and ps3 its dismal, im sure wiiU will have better games this time round

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

archbrix said:
Mazty said:
archbrix said:
Mazty said:

1.  You ignored my point.  If you want to win, you will use the most precise controls available.

2.  With what logic are you writing off the entire PC gaming community? You are simply saying "they don't count because I say so". Give a good reason as to why PC gamers should be seen as a seperate crowd from other gamers. The reason people don't use mice with a console is because it's impractical. What was your point by bringing that up??

1.  No, I addressed your point.  Several times, in fact, but apparently I have to again, so I'll keep it as simple as possible.  I, who am not a casual gamer, along with many others, find motion controls for games like golf, bowling, and tennis MORE accurate than using a control pad.  It's far more realistic and accurate when putting a spin on the ball or getting more swing with a stroke, similar to how it is in, you know, REALLY PERFORMING THESE MOVES.  Make sense now?  I realize it's hard for you to understand how other people's opinions can differ from yours, but alas, they do.

2. Your hypocrisy here is truly amazing, but your response is, again, easily refutable.  You are simply regarding PCs as the standard for games; saying that if trends (such as motion controls) are not prevalent in PC gaming, they're relegated to being fads.  I have pointed out how ridiculous that is by saying home gaming consoles, which are primarily about gaming unlike PCs, have embraced motion controls.  So again, I know it's hard to accept opposing viewpoints to your own.  Regarding the mouse example, how is it so hard for you to understand its relevance when you've already answered your own question?  Twice.  As accurate as a mouse is, it's not practical in the environment where gaming takes full precedence.  Yet, motion controls are.  Hmmmm...

1. I think you need to pick up a dictionary because intuitive doesn't mean what I think you think it means. I would still argue that with tennis a pad allows you to do more quicker then with motion controls. Though if you prefer it for bowling/golf fair enough, although it is an incredibly niche market.

2. How am I regarding PC's as "THE" standard for games? I'm regarding them as source of gaming whereas you are just flat out ignoring them. Every PC may not be about gaming, but the fact that motion controls have not been successful on the PC, while in conjunction with the plateud kinect sales and lack of core game sales on the wii, shows that obviously motion controls do not bring anything necessary to gaming. 

3. Why the hell are you going on about mice still? You brought it up asking why they aren't used on consoles, and the answer was because it would be too problematic. To use a motion control you just have to stand up, whereas to use a keyboard and mouse you need a solid surface to rest them on. Either keep up with the conversation or leave. 

1.  Lol, your posts are becoming desperate.  Although I am quite aware of what intuitive means, I didn't even use the word in my last response.  I did, however, use "accurate" and "realistic".  Do you know what those mean?  And the Wii sold quite well for "an incredibly niche market", no?

2.  No, I'm not flat out ignoring PC gaming at all.  And I never once said I expect motion controls to become commonplace on PCs.  You, however, did state that because they are not, they must be fads, or that they bring nothing necessary to gaming.  Again I would say that many disagree with you... and did you ever stop and think that perhaps the reason for the Wii's abrupt decline was because Nintendo pretty much abandoned it prematurely?  They made a choice to focus on its successor instead, which, in case you hadn't heard, will readily support motion controls too.

3.  Third time's the charm?  Maybe?  No?  Ok, one more time with feeling:  The reason I brought up mice was because you declared PC gaming as the be all, end all standard in what determines if something is relevant to gaming, when you exclaimed that motion controls are nothing more than a fad because they've never been successful on PCs.  I logically assumed that if the PC was indeed worthy of this status, then that would mean its control method, a mouse, should be prevalent everywhere that any "serious" gaming took place... such as consoles.  You yourself have now stated, THREE TIMES, the impracticality of this idea in the home console space.  With me so far?  Good.  

Therefore, we can assume that because mice don't suck just because they're not console standards, motion controls also don't suck just because they're not PC standards.  In other words, get over yourself in declaring motion controls can't be used to better some games for some people.

Strawman. 
I said bowling and golf games are a niche market.

If PCs are used for gaming, and if motion controls are beneficial to gaming, then why are they not prevalent on the PC?

Please show me where I said PCs are the be all and end all. I have never claimed that; you're making a strawman. Again. If motion controls are beneficial to gaming as a whole, then surely motion controls would be adopted by all platforms and not just some?  A mouse and  keyboard are not practical for consoles, however motion controls are viable for a PC, making your mouse/keyboard argument redundant.