By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - James Cameron will only make 'Avatar' movies from now on

pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
Oldschool. If you were truly old school you would have laser disc or Vhs. What movie are you referring to?

Obviously avatar

^^ I thought that was a given. lol

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
I just bought my son four Vhs for his birthday! Woo hoo!

Don't judge me, he received other cooler things as well!

Why don't you get him as 8-track player as well?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Why is it on geek forums (and only on geek forums) there is so much hate for Avatar? It was a fantastic movie.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Well, shit. Dude got banned before I had a chance to respond to his post.

Here's my problem with Cameron's films. Take a look at these character archetypes and then think about how many movies they're appeared in:

The plucky scientist
The affable everyman lead
The bad-ass blue collar chick
The "Company Man"
The crazed military officer
The turncoat
The somewhat insane but later redeemed sidekick

After Cameron has mixed and matched those archetypes, he then grabs the template of another story such as Pocahontas and decides whether the aliens are aggressive (Aliens), friendly (The Abyss), or neutral (Avatar).

They're the same fucking movies over and over again, only with a few pieces mixed around. Outside of visuals, Avatar brings absolutely nothing new to the table. It doesn't even mix and match elements well, it just slaps them together in a predictable way. Half an hour into the film, I already knew what was going to happen in the remaining two hours. No matter how you dice it, that is bad storytelling.

FYI, I'm not bashing Aliens and The Abyss. When viewed on their own, they're quite good and/or fun movies. But they show a trend in Cameron's writing that is incredibly formulaic.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Oh please no.

He is no Lucas.

He did not create an unforgettable galaxy which has unlimited potential like Star Wars ('77) did.

Well I'm sure whatever he makes will be good though.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

He wants to make Avatar 4?!?

That's crazy. If he wants to go so nuts over making sequels, then he should commit to a real Terminator 3 or a sequel to Titanic!

I would pay to see a sequel to True Lies.

I love watching all the haters try to bash the most successful box office smash of all time. Guess what guys, disliking things that are popular or mainstream doesn't make you seem more cultured or "in the know". It just makes you seem bitter and ignorant.

Avatar was a good movie at the very least. The story, although unoriginal, was still a good story. The acting was more than sufficient, and the visuals were mind blowing. All in all it was enjoyable. It wouldn't have grossed 2.8 billion dollars if it was shit.

And just because it doesn't suit your obscure taste doesn't make it shit either. You're free to go watch Donnie Darko again for the 17th time while arguing with your friend about why your Mac is better than a PC, and insisting that Pepsi is better than Coke. Fucking wierdos!