Forums - Movies & TV - James Cameron will only make 'Avatar' movies from now on

Mazty said:
Millenium said:
Mazty said:
Millenium said:
Mazty said:
Millenium said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

Avatar makes my butt hurts because it was released the same year as District 9 and no one seems to know what District 9 is about.

District 9 was amazing!

You're still in this thread? I'm waiting for a reply, and y'know an apology for you saying I derped when I was right...

Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Derp, I didn't see your name on the thread... Oh wait, I still don't... lol. Still bothering me after I've told you 6 times to piss off in a friendly manner I see, I'm sorry I'm just not attracted to you.

Calling me names and "gay" at the age of 21? Wow. Just wow. 

Tehee, again with the age shit without having the nut sack to state your own age, so amusing.

How does my age affect the relevance of your age to your own comments? If I was 4 or 94, you calling me names would still be embaressing because my age doesn't alter your age. Gratz on the strawman. 
But on point, Cameron is a successful, critically acclaimed director.  Avatar may not have been the most original film he has done, but it's certainly the most family friendly which does shoehorn the storyline in certain unoriginal direction. Aliens wouldn't have worked if it was made for the family. 

Your age is relevant to your own comments and inability to admit that you were wrong, regarding some matters. or even just getting the concept of "stop bugging me" without me having to resort to a "fuck off" post.

Also: "Calling me names and "gay" at the age of 21?" <-- Do you not even realize the chidlish condescending attitude you're taking here?

Now, I will try again, we obviously do not agree, so let us hereby stop this discussion please.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Mazty said:
rocketpig said:

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather be PT Anderson any day of the week over James Cameron. Money isn't everything and I'd rather be known for creating amazing, memorable movies than be known for getting rich off film-making. Shit, I could list at lest 100 directors I'd rather be than Cameron... Including George Lucas, insanity and all. Popularity does not equal meritocracy.

James Cameron has three ideas and he just reuses them. That's not someone I'd want to be any more than I'd want to be Justin Beiber. I'd rather be his ex-wife with the pure trashy awesome of Point Break and the pure awesome of Hurt Locker under my belt.

Titanic won 14 oscars, while Aliens and The Terminator are still regarded as fantastic films. Cameron is regarded as one of the best directors in existance and not for getting rich off film making. Why is it that people see how much Avatar made and are blinded by that one figure?

Hurt Locker was a terrible, terrible film. Nothing more then exploitative garbage with utterly vacuous unlikeable charaters. 

Hurt Locker was exploitative? What, because it showed a bunch of soldiers getting off a little too much on their dangerous jobs? That was the entire point... Those guys were completely fucked by the experience. Were they likable? No, they weren't supposed to be likable (at least Renner's character wasn't). Did you miss the point of the film?

I said Titanic was a great film in a later post. I also think Aliens is pretty great, though it's not nearly as good as Alien. The Terminator wasn't a great movie... The entire story, characterization, and acting is paper-thin. Still, it's a decent movie.

I don't hate James Cameron. I've enjoyed several of his films. But he reuses the same plot points and characters over and over again. By the time Avatar rolled around, I've been there and done that too many times to be impressed by it. Plus, Cameron did it better in both The Abyss and Aliens.

It was explotative because it showed a warped version of Iraq whilst the director pandered towards the actual troops out there. The little boy being killed? Cliche. And the bomb being strapped to the father? Oh come on, that nonsense is fitting for the Saw series, but not something that's trying to portray war accurately. They weren't fucked because of their experience; they were two dimensional and cliche. A soldier that doesn't care whether he lives or dies? Well neither do I which kind of makes the film redundant if you don't care about the characters. 

If you can tell me how Avatar, Terminator and Aliens are similar enough for it to be a flaw, I'd be interested to see what you have to say. 

As I've said to another user, Avatar was family friendly which really doesn't leave you with many options. As a film is more then just the story, the score and cinemtography were fantastic as well as the pacing. The storyline was okay, nothing special, but it certainly wasn't bad.

Millenium said:
Mazty said:
Millenium said:

Tehee, again with the age shit without having the nut sack to state your own age, so amusing.

How does my age affect the relevance of your age to your own comments? If I was 4 or 94, you calling me names would still be embaressing because my age doesn't alter your age. Gratz on the strawman. 
But on point, Cameron is a successful, critically acclaimed director.  Avatar may not have been the most original film he has done, but it's certainly the most family friendly which does shoehorn the storyline in certain unoriginal direction. Aliens wouldn't have worked if it was made for the family. 

Your age is relevant to your own comments and inability to admit that you were wrong, regarding some matters. or even just getting the concept of "stop bugging me" without me having to resort to a "fuck off" post.

Also: "Calling me names and "gay" at the age of 21?" <-- Do you not even realize the chidlish condescending attitude you're taking here?

Now, I will try again, we obviously do not agree, so let us hereby stop this discussion please.

So what have I said that begs the question "what is my age"...?
How was I wrong? Okay, I said 14 oscars instead of 11, my bad, but still it remains one of the most critically aclaimed films to date. Why do you feel the need to possiby say "f off" and not just reply to my post? You made several mistakes...That too much to handle?
Calling someone names and "gay" at 21 is praise worthy behaviour in your eyes? I'm just pointing out the obvious, which isn't a crime. 

The problem is you can't handle anyone who doesn't agree with you and so you resort to insults. Why bother posting on a forum if you can't deal with your view being challenged? 

Mazty said:
Millenium said:
Mazty said:
Millenium said:

How was I wrong? Okay, I said 14 oscars instead of 11, my bad, but still it remains one of the most critically aclaimed films to date. Why do you feel the need to possiby say "f off" and not just reply to my post? You made several mistakes...That too much to handle?
Calling someone names and "gay" at 21 is praise worthy behaviour in your eyes? I'm just pointing out the obvious, which isn't a crime. 

The problem is you can't handle anyone who doesn't agree with you and so you resort to insults. Why bother posting on a forum if you can't deal with your view being challenged? 

• 1: Inability to drop something whether being asked inpolitely or politely
  • 2: Concescending tone regarding age, clearly displays you feel above people that are younger than you.
  • 3: Calling a mod biased and petty purely because you disagree with the ban
  • 4: Inability to admit you were wrong and resorting on a snappy remark yourself
  • 5: Inability to understand that you are not the only person on the forum I talk to, and that perhaps I have other things to do than only reply to you
  • 6: "You made several mistakes...That too much to handle?" <-- Another example of condescending tone
  • 7: "Why bother posting on a forum if you can't deal with your view being challenged? " <-- Ever considering it's none of your business why I'm here?

You clearly are not as innocent as you try to make yourself out, and this is the final time I will respond to you, I've asked politely, return the favour and move on.

Millenium said:
Mazty said:
Millenium said:
Mazty said:
Millenium said:

• 1: Inability to drop something whether being asked inpolitely or politely
  • 2: Concescending tone regarding age, clearly displays you feel above people that are younger than you.
  • 3: Calling a mod biased and petty purely because you disagree with the ban
  • 4: Inability to admit you were wrong and resorting on a snappy remark yourself
  • 5: Inability to understand that you are not the only person on the forum I talk to, and that perhaps I have other things to do than only reply to you
  • 6: "You made several mistakes...That too much to handle?" <-- Another example of condescending tone
  • 7: "Why bother posting on a forum if you can't deal with your view being challenged? " <-- Ever considering it's none of your business why I'm here?

You clearly are not as innocent as you try to make yourself out, and this is the final time I will respond to you, I've asked politely, return the favour and move on.

1. Inabiltiy to deal with the notion that your view is illformed. 
2. Don't insult people, stay civil. That's in the rules. 
3. The mod in question has been spoken to by another in regard to the ban. In short, he was wrong & biased. 
4. How as I wrong? Cameron isn't a billionare as you claimed...I've already said I got the Titanic oscars wrong, but still the point remains...
5. Maybe you want to post more selectively if you can't take your view being challenged and shown as flawed?
6. "None of my buisness" ; it's a forum, it's open communication. I don't care why you're here, but I will challenge your view if I disagree with it. 

You clearly have a problem with Cameron that you are unable to verbalise. That's a shame as you are disregarding some great work because of a reason that you do not even fully understand.

Around the Network
Mazty said:

You clearly have a problem with Cameron that you are unable to verbalise. That's a shame as you are disregarding some great work because of a reason that you do not even fully understand.

Before I leave, I find it necesarry to correct you and inform you of the fact that I have seen pretty much ALL movies & documentaries made by Cameron.

My only problem is with him constraining himself to a Universe such as Avatar when there are other stories out their that could be told through more interesting characters.

kowenicki said:
Avatar on first watch was... wow
on second watch was... hmm its pretty, but...
on reflection it was... eugh, what a terrible cliche story.. and so badly told.

Prometheus, on the other hand, I can pretty much guarantee will be amazing.

Incredible amount of movies have cliche stories. And great movies too, but nobody is bashing them for it. But Avatar receives all of that rage because of its enormous BO. Honestly, there are very few people who at least try to create really unique stories (like Nolan with his psychological and existential tricks).

And yeah, Prometheus is gonna be a delightful movie. But hey, Guillermo del Toro said recently without any insulting that story in Prometheus is basically the same as in Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness (glad that I didn't read it yet) but in the different setting. I see nothing wrong here, as in the Avatar's case. It can't stop movie of being great.

P.S. About Avatar 2 and 3's BO. I don't think they will reach the heights of the first part (because they just can't re-invent 3D once again and some people, who didn't like the first one just won't be interested in the second and third), but they both will reach at very least about 1,5-1,7 billion WW. And I think Cameron and Fox will estimate the same.

Millenium said:
Mazty said:

Before I leave, I find it necesarry to correct you and inform you of the fact that I have seen pretty much ALL movies & documentaries made by Cameron.

My only problem is with him constraining himself to a Universe such as Avatar when there are other stories out their that could be told through more interesting characters.

And there are other directors out there....No need to wish for a persons demise just  because you don't agree with their professional decision. 

Such a talented director wasted on such drek. At least we still have Ridley Scott making great science fiction movies.

never seen the movie. I have the dvd,but never bothered to watch it.