By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - James Cameron will only make 'Avatar' movies from now on

sad.man.loves.vgc said:

Avatar makes my butt hurts because it was released the same year as District 9 and no one seems to know what District 9 is about.

District 9 was amazing!

Around the Network

Though I had given up on him making any more Terminator movies( way to leave things hanging there, Cameron), im kinda disappointed by this. The first movie had a plot that barely stretched through the movie's length, and pretty forgettable characters. The visuals were amazing, but i guess the novelty has wore off by now(unless of course they have come up with something truly new). But I still believe he is better at sci fic than any other genre,though his two highest grossers are from other genres(nope Avatar not a science fiction movie)

This was obvious last year, when Disney announced that they were going to build Pandora in Animal Kingdom. No way they would make a commitment of that size to a one-off franchise.

Dallinor said

I acknowledge that if it was extremely poor it would ruin the box office potential of a future enstallment past the first sequel. I was addressing your post but also others that had doubts that a sequel would be successful.

Actually the fact that you mention that James Cameron is unlikely to produce a poor film only further strenthens the idea that it's unlikely these sequels will underperform at the box office. Beyond The Abyss which I see as kind of a pet project for him given his huge personal interest in diving and sea exploration, every film he has released over the course of 25 years has made massive profit.

In relation to the gap between films, there was a period of 7 years between the first Terminator movie and the sequel. Terminator 2 went on to be the most succesful movie of 1991. The buzz may well fade, all we can do is speculate on that, but I would bet that the movie is still fresh in the minds of many and once a gigantic marketing push rolls out, people will remember and word of mouth will begin to spread again.

I'm really not sure if doubts regarding the success of James Camerons future work is justified. All the past evidence we have points to him making virtually nothing but successful blockbusters. He has a formula for making movies that seems to work. There were critics and analysts in droves predicting doom and gloom for his  'blue cat people' movie to begin with and we all saw how that turned out.

I concur that marketing will be the biggest factor in the sequel movie's success.

And I will reiterate that since I am not connected with this movie in any way, I am looking at facts and trends and cannot measure the attachment that people may have to the plot.

Thus, I am making some predictions without a true frame of reference. I was going to say like Pachter but I was trying not to put my biases and preferneces into the statements as well 8*>

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

James Cameron has gone downhill since Terminator 2. He's gone all "George Lucas" Not interested in Avatar at all.

Around the Network
Millenium said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

Avatar makes my butt hurts because it was released the same year as District 9 and no one seems to know what District 9 is about.

District 9 was amazing!

Agreed. Great film. Heard the were supposed to make a sequel to it.

RedInker said:
Millenium said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

District 9 was amazing!

Yeah they said so, it's unlikely to release before 2014 though, tbh we'll be lucky if we get it before 2015 starts due to Copley's and Blomkamp's current commitments : (

I'm interested in "Elysium" next year though, Blomkamp directs and Copley's in it, and it's "sci-fi", so could be good. :)

rocketpig said:
Mazty said:
Millenium said:
Mazty said:
Millenium said:
Hey Cameron. Feel free to take a arrow to the knee.

You suck!

I obviously doubt it, but I hope Avatar goes downhill fast in terms of box office, just to shove it in his face.

Shove what in his face? He's already made billions and broken the record for highest grossing movie, which was another one of his....Jealous much?

Lmao, you crack me up. I'd only be jealous if I had any dream of becoming a sucesfull film director. Guess what, I don't.

And if I had that drea,, wouldn't I be more jealous of Michael Bay who manages big ass box office numbers whilst making more than 1 movie per 10 years?

More like "shove in his face" that he's only gonna get more and more critics to bomb on him, if you'd bothered to use that search engine in your brain you might have thought of that all on your own.

He's not just a successful director, he's a millionaire.....I'm guessing you'd like to have more money then you could ever possibly need. 

So you'd want to be the director who has to release more films reguarly then the one who has to only release one every decade because they are so popular and gross so much? How'd you figure that out?

More critics to bomb on him? What are you on about? I'm sorry, my brain uses logic and doesn't jump to random conclusions. Releasing another Avatar doesn't mean critics will "bomb on him"...There is no universal law that a second Avatar film means that more critics will dislike it then the first one...So instead of being snarky, make sense next time. 

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather be PT Anderson any day of the week over James Cameron. Money isn't everything and I'd rather be known for creating amazing, memorable movies than be known for getting rich off film-making. Shit, I could list at lest 100 directors I'd rather be than Cameron... Including George Lucas, insanity and all. Popularity does not equal meritocracy.

James Cameron has three ideas and he just reuses them. That's not someone I'd want to be any more than I'd want to be Justin Beiber. I'd rather be his ex-wife with the pure trashy awesome of Point Break and the pure awesome of Hurt Locker under my belt.

Titanic won 14 oscars, while Aliens and The Terminator are still regarded as fantastic films. Cameron is regarded as one of the best directors in existance and not for getting rich off film making. Why is it that people see how much Avatar made and are blinded by that one figure?

Hurt Locker was a terrible, terrible film. Nothing more then exploitative garbage with utterly vacuous unlikeable charaters. 

Millenium said:
RedInker said:
Millenium said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

District 9 was amazing!

Yeah they said so, it's unlikely to release before 2014 though, tbh we'll be lucky if we get it before 2015 starts due to Copley's and Blomkamp's current commitments : (

I'm interested in "Elysium" next year though, Blomkamp directs and Copley's in it, and it's "sci-fi", so could be good. :)

I'll keep an eye out for that film next year. Thanks for the tip dude.

Millenium said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

District 9 was amazing!

You're still in this thread? I'm waiting for a reply, and y'know an apology for you saying I derped when I was right...