By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Results FY2012 Qtr3. 1.4m shipped (67.2m)

ZaneWane said:
Turkish said:
Wow, 2nd worse Q3 results since 2008.

least it is not $6.4bn

What are you trying to say boy?

Around the Network

Did they lose $339m or $229m?

bertlsenix said:

So shipping is now selling?
So if Sony is suddenly shipping 1389672342 Million Units to africa they are Number 1?

Its kinda funny...M$ only has to ship stuff while the other 2 have to actually SELL their stuff ;)

Welcome to VGC.

Shipped = sold for the manufacturer. Yeah, Sony would be no. 1 if they manage to sell these numbers to Africa. The point is, you have to find someone buying these consoles.

console:
1st: Manufacturer --> retailer
2nd: retailer --> consumer

money:
1st: retailer --> manufacturer
2nd: consumer --> retailer

So you have to find the retailers buying you consoles, because they think they will sell them. That is the rough part.

So MS SOLD their stuff to retailers. 67.2 million consoles shipped and sold to retail. VGC said that 65.3 million consoles were sold from retailers to consumers. That means according to VGC there are 1.9 million consoles sitting at differnt retailers around the world. This is way too much. 1 million seems reasonable, because this is the average level of stock for the past 2 years at this time of the year. Actually it is just under 1 million.

I hope I was able to clear things up.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

shanbcn said:
Did 360 lose $339m? This is huge loss for an quarter.

"Overall Xbox 360 accounted for around a third of Entertainment & Devices’ $1.6bn revenue for the period, though that was not enough to stop the business unit posting a loss of $339m. In the sale period in 2011 it reported profits of $210m."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-360-sales-fall-by-50-in-q1/094780

That doesn't make much sense, first of all the loss isn't directed at the 360, but the whole division.
Secondly $339m is probably a typo since the loss in EDD is $229m.

shanbcn said:
Did 360 lose $339m? This is huge loss for an quarter.

"Overall Xbox 360 accounted for around a third of Entertainment & Devices’ $1.6bn revenue for the period, though that was not enough to stop the business unit posting a loss of $339m. In the sale period in 2011 it reported profits of $210m."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-360-sales-fall-by-50-in-q1/094780

They have the wrong numbers. EDD lost 229 million USD

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY12/Q3/default.aspx

And as explained by Microsoft:

The losses came from Windows Phone 7 and R&D.

+ 100 Million for R&D (Xbox 3!)
+ 250 Million for Nokia
+ 75 marketing expenses (Windows phone 7)

There you have 425 million USD. So you are looking at a >200 million profit of the Xbox 360 in the past 3 months.

Around the Network
dallas said:

A 6% increase year over year is "solid revenue growth" wtf! That is some bs if I've ever heard it. If that rate continues for the entire years hat will mean only a six percent increase for the year, not 24%.  Msft is becoming stodgy and old, and kinda boring.  Hope the bots don't flame me for this post hahaha

your same statements again and again are becoming old and boring...  funny that someone who is saying the same again and again the last weeks is calling other people a bot.

DirtyP2002 said:
bertlsenix said:

So if Sony is suddenly shipping 1389672342 Million Units to africa they are Number 1?

Its kinda funny...M$ only has to ship stuff while the other 2 have to actually SELL their stuff ;)

Welcome to VGC.

Shipped = sold for the manufacturer. Yeah, Sony would be no. 1 if they manage to sell these numbers to Africa. The point is, you have to find someone buying these consoles.

console:

money:

So you have to find the retailers buying you consoles, because they think they will sell them. That is the rough part.

So MS SOLD their stuff to retailers. 67.2 million consoles shipped and sold to retail. VGC said that 65.3 million consoles were sold from retailers to consumers. That means according to VGC there are 1.9 million consoles sitting at differnt retailers around the world. This is way too much. 1 million seems reasonable, because this is the average level of stock for the past 2 years at this time of the year. Actually it is just under 1 million.

The problem is now days with Nintendo releasing european sales figures, we now know almost 100% of video game market. And on top of that Wii and 360 doesnt even come close to PS3 in developing countries. So must likely MS overshipped unless Europe sales are undertracked which doesnt seem likely.

shanbcn said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bertlsenix said:

Welcome to VGC.

console:

money:

The problem is now days with Nintendo releasing european sales figures, we now know almost 100% of video game market. And on top of that Wii and 360 doesnt even come close to PS3 in developing countries. So must likely MS overshipped unless Europe sales are undertracked which doesnt seem likely.

I bolded the part where you are wrong.

DirtyP2002 said:
shanbcn said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bertlsenix said:

Welcome to VGC.

console:

money:

Next week nintendo will release sold numbers for european countries. Unless anyone can comeup with solid proof that 360 is overtracked by 1 million anywhere else then sure otherwise accept the numbers.

shanbcn said:
DirtyP2002 said:
shanbcn said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bertlsenix said:

Welcome to VGC.

console:

money:

Next week nintendo will release sold numbers for european countries. Unless anyone can comeup with solid proof that 360 is overtracked by 1 million anywhere else then sure otherwise accept the numbers.

Nintendo does not have information for ALL of Europe; also, NA + EU + JP != 100% vg market.