By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Results FY2012 Qtr3. 1.4m shipped (67.2m)

pezus said:
DirtyP2002 said:

There you have it! 10% of the Xbox 360 shipments is 6.72 million consoles we have NO idea about. Quite a big market, isn't it?

We are talking about 1 or 2 quarters here, not 360's whole life

Exactly, this isn't 10% of all 360s out there. We are talking a million in one quarter, which would be several thousand of percents off.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
bertlsenix said:

So shipping is now selling?
So if Sony is suddenly shipping 1389672342 Million Units to africa they are Number 1?

Its kinda funny...M$ only has to ship stuff while the other 2 have to actually SELL their stuff ;)

Welcome to VGC.

Shipped = sold for the manufacturer. Yeah, Sony would be no. 1 if they manage to sell these numbers to Africa. The point is, you have to find someone buying these consoles.

console:
1st: Manufacturer --> retailer
2nd: retailer --> consumer

money:
1st: retailer --> manufacturer
2nd: consumer --> retailer

So you have to find the retailers buying you consoles, because they think they will sell them. That is the rough part.

So MS SOLD their stuff to retailers. 67.2 million consoles shipped and sold to retail. VGC said that 65.3 million consoles were sold from retailers to consumers. That means according to VGC there are 1.9 million consoles sitting at differnt retailers around the world. This is way too much. 1 million seems reasonable, because this is the average level of stock for the past 2 years at this time of the year. Actually it is just under 1 million.

I hope I was able to clear things up.

The problem with your point is that Microsoft have just released a new star wars sku, and do you actually have any idea what so ever how many extra hundreds of thousands of those Microsoft shipped into the retail channel before the end of the quarter??? Was it 200,000? 300,000? 400,000? even 500,000?

Whatever the answer is none of those could have been sold because the game didn't release till the first few days of the next financial quarter so Microsoft's numbers for Jan-Mar have been inflated again and don't truely reflect what was actually sold this past quarter.

Then on top of that it's not just Vgchartz numbers vs the world, Vgchartz total numbers are in line with NPD, Media Create, Famitsu, Chart Track, GFK and Nintendo's own internal trackers that track all consoles in all major markets. The only way Microsoft's sold to consumer numbers can be wrong is if most or all of the above trackers are completely wrong which is highly unlikely. Not to mention that we also have lots of data that shows which regions around the world the xbox360 is the most popular in, and it would have to mean that in the last 6 months from out of no where the 360 has become insanely popular in multiple regions where it was previously in dead last...... it's just not likely. At best the 360 is a couple of hundred thousand units undertracked and that is all.

Hyruken said:
Plus you have to laugh when people try to indicate Nintendo know more about Microsofts numbers then they do....

Microsoft only talk about shipped numbers not sold, they don't release sold numbers where as Nintendo release actual sold data for all consoles through the world's largest and best tracking firms, so yeah Nintendo do more to reveal how xbox360's have actually sold then Microsoft do.

pezus said:
Hyruken said:
Plus you have to laugh when people try to indicate Nintendo know more about Microsofts numbers then they do....

No one is saying that...but, Nintendo are the only ones to reveal the nunbers

No Nintendo are the ones to announce their own numbers and 'guesses' as to what the other companies numbers are based on their tracking.

All of them will have different ideas as to how their competitors are doing. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft could give the numbers they have for Nintendo if they wanted to. After all when they claim to be the top selling console for a month or year they have to have indication of the other numbers right? But if they did announce them it doesn't make them right. That was the point I was making. Because Nintendo mention the other consoles doesn't make their data for those devices reliable. Plus as others have mentioned the numbers they do release are only for a part of the market meaning if they cover say 90% of the market then what about the other 10%? The only reliable data they can give is on their own products because obviously they know how many they made and how many they sold to retailers (shipped).

wasn't there is a unofficial report(by MS China CEO) the 360 have around 3m in China
http://notebook-battery-keyboard.com/microsoft-greater-china-ceo-xbox-can-not-into-the-frustrating/

Around the Network
cookingyourmama said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bertlsenix said:

So if Sony is suddenly shipping 1389672342 Million Units to africa they are Number 1?

Its kinda funny...M$ only has to ship stuff while the other 2 have to actually SELL their stuff ;)

Welcome to VGC.

Shipped = sold for the manufacturer. Yeah, Sony would be no. 1 if they manage to sell these numbers to Africa. The point is, you have to find someone buying these consoles.

console:

money:

So you have to find the retailers buying you consoles, because they think they will sell them. That is the rough part.

So MS SOLD their stuff to retailers. 67.2 million consoles shipped and sold to retail. VGC said that 65.3 million consoles were sold from retailers to consumers. That means according to VGC there are 1.9 million consoles sitting at differnt retailers around the world. This is way too much. 1 million seems reasonable, because this is the average level of stock for the past 2 years at this time of the year. Actually it is just under 1 million.

The problem with your point is that Microsoft have just released a new star wars sku, and do you actually have any idea what so ever how many extra hundreds of thousands of those Microsoft shipped into the retail channel before the end of the quarter??? Was it 200,000? 300,000? 400,000? even 500,000?

lol what do you smoke ? That's a special edition bundle. To give you an idea about these shipments I'll let you know that the previous Call of Duty Xbox 360 bundles were sold out at under 100k.
so the answer to your question would be ~75k.

D-Joe said:
wasn't there is a unofficial report(by MS China CEO) the 360 have around 3m in China
http://notebook-battery-keyboard.com/microsoft-greater-china-ceo-xbox-can-not-into-the-frustrating/

That guy was canned 6 days ago.

Second, that article is very easily misinterpreted. For instance, I can get the complete opposite view from yours seeing as how he only says xbox not 360, refers to the work frustrating, and "we want to introduce it"

Oh, and "but the Xbox 360 gaming console into China still faces regulatory restrictions."

I think he's saying xbox did well here with 3 million units and it's frustrating because they want to introduce the 360.

In fact, I just found this article:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/253704/microsoft_shakes_up_management_after_china_execs_sudden_departure.html

"In his role as CEO for Microsoft's Greater China region, Leung oversaw efforts to fight software piracy and improve intellectual property rights protection. Leung had also been working with Chinese officials to eventually allow Microsoft's Xbox 360 to be sold in the country. Chinese law currently bans foreign companies from selling most video game systems."

it doesn't matter,we just need to care about numbers

and "Leung had also been working with Chinese officials to eventually allow Microsoft's Xbox 360 to be sold in the country."?
you know,MS try this since 2006 and Chinese gov still "lol no"

D-Joe said:
it doesn't matter,we just need to care about numbers

and "Leung had also been working with Chinese officials to eventually allow Microsoft's Xbox 360 to be sold in the country."?
you know,MS try this since 2006 and Chinese gov still "lol no"

From what I've gathered there are in fact about 3m 360's (unofficially) in China, sold through the gray market (meaning imports), likely through Japan and Europe.

It's all very much conjecture though, as it requires tracking the black market, which is frankly impossible.

Barozi said:
cookingyourmama said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bertlsenix said:

Welcome to VGC.

console:

money:

lol what do you smoke ? That's a special edition bundle. To give you an idea about these shipments I'll let you know that the previous Call of Duty Xbox 360 bundles were sold out at under 100k.
so the answer to your question would be ~75k.

Erm yeah do you actually have any proof that the Star Wars 360 bundle shipment was under 100,000? This Star Wars kinect game is a first party xbox360 exclusive that has been marketed and hyped to hell and back, why wouldn't it have a large shipment compared to a multiplatform game?