By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Results FY2012 Qtr3. 1.4m shipped (67.2m)

pezus said:
Hyruken said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:
Plus you have to laugh when people try to indicate Nintendo know more about Microsofts numbers then they do....

No one is saying that...but, Nintendo are the only ones to reveal the nunbers

No Nintendo are the ones to announce their own numbers and 'guesses' as to what the other companies numbers are based on their tracking.

All of them will have different ideas as to how their competitors are doing. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft could give the numbers they have for Nintendo if they wanted to. After all when they claim to be the top selling console for a month or year they have to have indication of the other numbers right? But if they did announce them it doesn't make them right. That was the point I was making. Because Nintendo mention the other consoles doesn't make their data for those devices reliable. Plus as others have mentioned the numbers they do release are only for a part of the market meaning if they cover say 90% of the market then what about the other 10%? The only reliable data they can give is on their own products because obviously they know how many they made and how many they sold to retailers (shipped).

They have probably THE most reliable tracking firm, so if you can't trust their numbers, you can't trust anyone. Their numbers are clearly not biased either, otherwise they wouldn't show their horrible Wii numbers as of late.

I'm not saying they are biased numbers. What i'm saying is who do you think will be more acurate, the company paid money to phone stores and ask how many they sold or the company that stands at the conveyour belt and counts how many have come of it?

Both have a level of error i.e the guy who works at the store might of got something wrong when relaying the info which is fed into an average projection for the other stores which makes the amounts counted a lot higher/lower overall. Where as the guy on the conveyour belt might be counting things that are defected and won't make it to retail etc.

But either way someone who creates their own product will have a better idea of how many were made. If demand from retailers is high then obviously they make more, if it is low then they make less. If retailers already have a lot of the product in stock they won't buy more, meaning again less of the product needing to be made meaning lower shipment numbers.

So even if Nintendo are right and let's say they are more in line with what vgc has then why would retailers continue to buy so many 360's if the previous quarter was as badly overshipped as people on here had thought? Buying them costs money, having them stored somewhere costs money. In a time when the games industry is in a bit of a financial rut and game retailers are closing why would they risk losing more money by buying stock they don't need or the consumer doesn't want? Logically you would have to say that wouldn't be right.

So i'm not saying Nintendo's numbers can't be trusted. What i'm saying is it is far easier to track your own product then someone elses.

Around the Network
Hyruken said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:
Plus you have to laugh when people try to indicate Nintendo know more about Microsofts numbers then they do....

No one is saying that...but, Nintendo are the only ones to reveal the nunbers

No Nintendo are the ones to announce their own numbers and 'guesses' as to what the other companies numbers are based on their tracking.

All of them will have different ideas as to how their competitors are doing. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft could give the numbers they have for Nintendo if they wanted to. After all when they claim to be the top selling console for a month or year they have to have indication of the other numbers right? But if they did announce them it doesn't make them right. That was the point I was making. Because Nintendo mention the other consoles doesn't make their data for those devices reliable. Plus as others have mentioned the numbers they do release are only for a part of the market meaning if they cover say 90% of the market then what about the other 10%? The only reliable data they can give is on their own products because obviously they know how many they made and how many they sold to retailers (shipped).

They have probably THE most reliable tracking firm, so if you can't trust their numbers, you can't trust anyone. Their numbers are clearly not biased either, otherwise they wouldn't show their horrible Wii numbers as of late.

I'm not saying they are biased numbers. What i'm saying is who do you think will be more acurate, the company paid money to phone stores and ask how many they sold or the company that stands at the conveyour belt and counts how many have come of it?

Both have a level of error i.e the guy who works at the store might of got something wrong when relaying the info which is fed into an average projection for the other stores which makes the amounts counted a lot higher/lower overall. Where as the guy on the conveyour belt might be counting things that are defected and won't make it to retail etc.

But either way someone who creates their own product will have a better idea of how many were made. If demand from retailers is high then obviously they make more, if it is low then they make less. If retailers already have a lot of the product in stock they won't buy more, meaning again less of the product needing to be made meaning lower shipment numbers.

So even if Nintendo are right and let's say they are more in line with what vgc has then why would retailers continue to buy so many 360's if the previous quarter was as badly overshipped as people on here had thought? Buying them costs money, having them stored somewhere costs money. In a time when the games industry is in a bit of a financial rut and game retailers are closing why would they risk losing more money by buying stock they don't need or the consumer doesn't want? Logically you would have to say that wouldn't be right.

So i'm not saying Nintendo's numbers can't be trusted. What i'm saying is it is far easier to track your own product then someone elses.

Suppose MS lowered their price to retailers to buy in bulk?

Suppose MS has a price drop right around the corner that we don't know about?

Suppose there is a new SKU and MS is clearancing all their supply?

cookingyourmama said:
Barozi said:
cookingyourmama said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bertlsenix said:

So shipping is now selling?
So if Sony is suddenly shipping 1389672342 Million Units to africa they are Number 1?

Its kinda funny...M$ only has to ship stuff while the other 2 have to actually SELL their stuff ;)

Welcome to VGC.

Shipped = sold for the manufacturer. Yeah, Sony would be no. 1 if they manage to sell these numbers to Africa. The point is, you have to find someone buying these consoles.

console:
1st: Manufacturer --> retailer
2nd: retailer --> consumer

money:
1st: retailer --> manufacturer
2nd: consumer --> retailer

So you have to find the retailers buying you consoles, because they think they will sell them. That is the rough part.

So MS SOLD their stuff to retailers. 67.2 million consoles shipped and sold to retail. VGC said that 65.3 million consoles were sold from retailers to consumers. That means according to VGC there are 1.9 million consoles sitting at differnt retailers around the world. This is way too much. 1 million seems reasonable, because this is the average level of stock for the past 2 years at this time of the year. Actually it is just under 1 million.

I hope I was able to clear things up.

The problem with your point is that Microsoft have just released a new star wars sku, and do you actually have any idea what so ever how many extra hundreds of thousands of those Microsoft shipped into the retail channel before the end of the quarter??? Was it 200,000? 300,000? 400,000? even 500,000?

lol what do you smoke ? That's a special edition bundle. To give you an idea about these shipments I'll let you know that the previous Call of Duty Xbox 360 bundles were sold out at under 100k.
so the answer to your question would be ~75k.

Erm yeah do you actually have any proof that the Star Wars 360 bundle shipment was under 100,000? This Star Wars kinect game is a first party xbox360 exclusive that has been marketed and hyped to hell and back, why wouldn't it have a large shipment compared to a multiplatform game?

- It's 2nd to 3rd party. Publishers are LucasArts and Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't own the IP.
- CoD is a much bigger gaming franchise than Star Wars
- the bundle did not release during the holiday season
- it's a limited edition
- the Xbox 360 + Kinect bundle is not the best selling of their SKUs
- Star Wars Kinect has the highest opening of any Kinect game ever. Did they believe that SW:K sells 5 times as much (i.e. 2m first week) ?

What are you points when assuming that MS shipped 500k bundles ?

theprof00 said:

Suppose? <Walks into local MediaMarkt, and sees:>

1. XBox 250G 3 Games bundle: $169

2. XBox 4G Disney Kinect bundle: $229

3. XBox 250G Kinect Bundle: $249

4 XBox 250G 10 (Top-)Games bundle: $279

drkohler said:
theprof00 said:

Suppose?

1. XBox 250G 3 Games bundle: $169

2. XBox 4G Disney Kinect bundle: $229

3. XBox 250G Kinect Bundle: $249

4 XBox 250G 10 (Top-)Games bundle: $279

Holy shit, how are prices that low???

Around the Network
NotStan said:
TheKoreanGuy said:
So Microsoft is doing alright? That's cool. Anyone insulting Sony in the process is clearly a fanboy.

Anyone getting insulted by the non existent insults might clearly be a fanboy.

But then again, I've seen you post enough to understand the reason for this post, you just like to bait.

That's up to you if you think I'm "baiting". I didn't think two mere sentences would have such an intention. This thread was about Microsoft's earnings. There is no reason to bring in Sony to this discussion, don't you think? The insults are not non existent. Just go back and read the thread. There are a couple people here and there from what I saw. And not just this thread, it happens with almost every Microsoft or Sony thread. The intentions for my comment were not to bait, but to hopefully make people think twice before they post. I've been doing that too lately, where I write up a post and end up not posting it because there's no point. And if you're still mad at me, I don't think you read my response to you from before. I've already let it go, so should you.

That one time, I didn't intend to write so much. I looked back at that post and thought how stupid that was. A lot of people were responding to me at once, calling me naive and stupid, and I ended up responding to all of them in one post. So yeah, I'm not a fanboy, okay? I just like the option of free online, that's all. Glad I got that off my chest. I also saw that you recently got a ps3. I hope you are enjoying it! I may get a 360 when Halo 4 launches =P

Edit: I should have clarified my first post a bit. It should say "anyone bringing up Sony in the process is clearly a fanboy." That way it works both ways and maybe you wouldn't have misinterpreted my comment. my bad

kowenicki said:
Seece said:
kowenicki said:
Seece said:
Link to your thread Kowen!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=129135

Thanks, why does your chart say there is around 1m in shelves in March but Ethomaz is always listing these 1.4/1.5m ect figures?

1m makes a lot more sense, especially given the rate it's selling. I'd say a good 900k undertracked.

because he's wrong.

Am I wrong? Give me a break... simple math here... just get the shipped number for the 31th March and compare with the VGC sales for the same period.

2011: 53.6m shipped / 52.8m sold = 800k on shelves (supply constrained confirmed by MS)
2010: 40.2m shipped / 39.1m sold = 1.1m on shelves
2009: 30.2m shipped / 28.9m sold = 1.3m on shelves
2008: 19.0m shipped / 17.6m sold = 1.4m on shelves
2007: 10.9m shipped / 9.4m sold = 1.5m on shelves

Face it!

1.4 million confirms the "OVERSHIP" in the last quarter of 2011 and the "UNDERTRACK" in VGC (~500k).

ethomaz said:
kowenicki said:
Seece said:
kowenicki said:
Seece said:
Link to your thread Kowen!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=129135

Thanks, why does your chart say there is around 1m in shelves in March but Ethomaz is always listing these 1.4/1.5m ect figures?

1m makes a lot more sense, especially given the rate it's selling. I'd say a good 900k undertracked.

because he's wrong.

Am I wrong? Give me a break... simple math here... just get the shipped number for the 31th March and compare with the VGC sales for the same period.

2011: 53.6m shipped / 52.8m sold = 800k on shelves (supply constrained confirmed by MS)
2010: 40.2m shipped / 39.1m sold = 1.1m on shelves
2009: 30.2m shipped / 28.9m sold = 1.3m on shelves
2008: 19.0m shipped / 17.6m sold = 1.4m on shelves
2007: 10.9m shipped / 9.4m sold = 1.5m on shelves

Face it!

1.1 and 800k being the recent years, 1.4 and 1.5 being the peak of the gen. Ever since 07 it's gone down, you still persist these days 1.5m on shelves is normal though.

ethomaz said:
1.4 million confirms the "OVERSHIP" in the last quarter of 2011 and the "UNDERTRACK" in VGC (~500k).

How does it? What exactly were you expecting from this Q had they not had such a high numbers last Q? 1.4m ties in with previous years, slightly lower given we're so late into the generation, and you can't cling onto the 2.7m last year because that was refilling the shelves.