By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Results FY2012 Qtr3. 1.4m shipped (67.2m)

Aj_habfan said:

Vgchartz tracks Canada in Americas, and Canada does on average 1/10th of USA, whether that's near half of the UK or not I do not know. 

I obviously know the problem is vgchartz, not sure how you could have interpreted otherwise. I want to vgchartz to be as accurate as possible and if in fact these results are because of 360 growing into more markets we can't cover, it makes vgchartz less accurate. If it's undertracked in areas we cover, we can learn and improve from this information.

Fair enough.

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
VGKing said:
epicberserk said:
This is why i wait for npd and microsoft reports vgchartz is always wrong , 360 lead is larger then they changed it to

If you don't believe VgChartz numbers.....what are you doing visiting this site?
There's plenty of other forums out there that have larger communities. I suggest you switch to one of them. 

360 undertracked = Vgchartz so innacurate! Ugh.
PS3 undertracked = VgChartz is the best sales site! <3

Undertracked or overtracked, neither are good.  It simply proves the point, that regardless of the situation, VGChartz numbers must be taken with a grain of salt.  They are useful, but to a limited extent, and they aren't the last word in sales figures. 

VGChartz numbers are estimates, they even say so in their methodology:

"Data is directly estimated in the following countries on a weekly basis..."

So, again, the numbers they present aren't factual data.  They are estimated guesses based on data they've collected from gamers, retailers, publishers, and wholesalers, as well as trending. 

Don't act surprised if people don't assume VGChartz is the word of God in gaming sales, because it isn't.  In terms of sales, they're no different that any other analyst.  Everything has to be taken with a grain of salt, as well, relying on one sole source for your information is not going to be of any benefit.  VGChartz isn't infalable.
Having said that, who cares at this point whether the Xbox 360 or the PS3 topped sales in 2011?  The gaming industry is losing sales and revenue like there is no tomorrow, Sony is in deep financial trouble, and everyone is planning on coming out with a new console within the next year or two. 

Move on people!  2011 is over.

I cannot wait until E3 so people have something more important to argue about.

Yes, VgChartz sales are estimates. Thank you for stating the obvious. 
But NPD, Media Create..etc...they are also estimates.

The only way we're getting cold hard facts, is from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo themselves, and they are only capable of tracking SHIPPED. Even they can't track sold to consumers.

blue7x7 said:
Jadedx said:
theprof00 said:
Whatabout the free ones they give with windows purchase? Were those sold? Or are they part of shipped?
Because if they were shipped, but not sold in a store, that could explain missing npd numbers, right?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHHAA!

yeah I know plus to theprof00 I think that promotion ended a while ago the free xbox 360 giveaways with certain windos 7 purchaes.

Ah, you're right, I remembered it being a back to school offer, but looks like it was in may (that's weird) I was thinking the shipment number in the last quarter being so high might've had something to do with it.

Oh well, we're going to have to wait for Nintendo, and then figure out where these consoles are, because unless they had a sudden huge boost in Europe, it's likely not there.

Hyruken said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:
KillerMan said:
Hyruken said:
And with that dies the whole "PS3 won 2011" thing once and for all.

Actually no. These numers still indicate that some overshipping happened during Q2. Just not as much as most expected. Sony's shipment numbers will give us clearer picture.

Not true. Plus it is becoming a joke now. So people are waiting now for the half year mark of this year to tell how well a console did last year? It's over. Most normal people tried to give normal reasons but some people simply choose not to accept them. It will always be a "wait for this" thing on this website.

In the report they have given various tid bits of information to give us an idea of how the others have done. They said they have been number one for 15 months straight now. If MS is down (almost 50% on same period last year) then it is obvious the rest are down too meaning the sales across the board are not as good. Plus they said sales are now at 67.2m which according to VGC figures (especially the adjustments) there are over 1.6m 360's sitting on shelves right now which i'm sure even the most biased of biased would have to admit that is probably about 400k-600k too much.

We will wait for the Sony numbers but remember what they said at the end of last year? They downcasted their forecast by a million ps3's. If again we go by vgc numbers why would they have done that as they seem to be doing very well?

As I said before and I took a lot of criticism for it, vgc numbers are unreliable and too many people try and pass them off as facts. All we have are official numbers and they are the ones that should be believed. People won't like me saying that here, but it is the truth. 360 sold more based on official numbers. It's over, people need to let it go or we will be here in 3 months time with the same people saying let's wait another 3 months...

So 400k-600k too much on shelves according to VGC means 360 will be adjusted over PS3 for 2011 when PS3 is ahead by more than 600k?

I meant to say at least. It could be as much as 1m undertracked if we take into account early april numbers (as pointed out below).

Plus if they are so badly out on the 360 what is to say the ps3 numbers are accurate? Didn't we have it quite high for the last shipments to only find it was lower? Obviously that is the nature of the website, sometimes it will be right, sometimes it will be over and sometimes it will be under. But from a logical point of view you would have to say it is unlikely PS3 sold more then 360 in 2011. There is far more evidence to show 360 sold more. In fact the only evidence we have that ps3 sold more is what ioi says.

But like I said in december and like I said in one of the other recent sales threads. Someone posts a number here and it is taken as gospel. Nobody dares to question it. It simply has to be true because someone said it is. And when a company releases official figures those numbers are now looked at with mistrust and doubt. Which is quite frankly stupid.

Hahaha wow ok first thing is first, the xbox360 is not undertracked by 1 million, lol. And PS3 won 2011 get over it, xbox360 shipped more whilst sony sold more. Even without microsoft overshipping in Oct-Dec, it is already a fact that they overshipped in jan-mar 2011 as well.

Here's a fun question for you, how many extra hundred thousand star wars edition xbox360's do you think microsoft shipped into the retail channel the week before it came out??? Because whatever your answer is, you have to subtract that from microsoft's 1.4 million shipped total for the last quarter because microsoft were just stuffing the channel in advance of what was supposed to be a huge new game coming out at the start of the new financial quarter.

So Microsoft is doing alright? That's cool. Anyone insulting Sony in the process is clearly a fanboy.

Around the Network

A 6% increase year over year is "solid revenue growth" wtf! That is some bs if I've ever heard it. If that rate continues for the entire years hat will mean only a six percent increase for the year, not 24%.  Msft is becoming stodgy and old, and kinda boring.  Hope the bots don't flame me for this post hahaha

hmm.. based on these numbers I expect to see adjustments of 500k-800k

TheKoreanGuy said:
So Microsoft is doing alright? That's cool. Anyone insulting Sony in the process is clearly a fanboy.

Anyone getting insulted by the non existent insults might clearly be a fanboy.

But then again, I've seen you post enough to understand the reason for this post, you just like to bait.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

So shipping is now selling?
So if Sony is suddenly shipping 1389672342 Million Units to africa they are Number 1?

Its kinda funny...M$ only has to ship stuff while the other 2 have to actually SELL their stuff ;)

Did 360 lose $339m? This is huge loss for an quarter.

"Overall Xbox 360 accounted for around a third of Entertainment & Devices’ $1.6bn revenue for the period, though that was not enough to stop the business unit posting a loss of $339m. In the sale period in 2011 it reported profits of $210m."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-360-sales-fall-by-50-in-q1/094780