By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Results FY2012 Qtr3. 1.4m shipped (67.2m)

Turkish said:
Wow, 2nd worse Q3 results since 2008.

least it is not $6.4bn

Around the Network
Jadedx said:
theprof00 said:
Whatabout the free ones they give with windows purchase? Were those sold? Or are they part of shipped?
Because if they were shipped, but not sold in a store, that could explain missing npd numbers, right?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHHAA!

yeah I know plus to theprof00 I think that promotion ended a while ago the free xbox 360 giveaways with certain windos 7 purchaes.

Turkish said:
Loss $229 million, I thought they were making a great profit?

3 reasons:

They sell xbox 360 at a loss
Nextbox development
windows phone

360 IS NOT selling at a loss......it's actually the oppsite. It's selling at a huge profit. 

Hyruken said:
And with that dies the whole "PS3 won 2011" thing once and for all.

It did win 2011. As long as VgChartz has PS3 as the best selling console for 2011, I'll keep saying it.
If you don't trust VgChartz numbers then why are you here?

This is why i wait for npd and microsoft reports vgchartz is always wrong , 360 lead is larger then they changed it to

Around the Network
epicberserk said:
This is why i wait for npd and microsoft reports vgchartz is always wrong , 360 lead is larger then they changed it to

If you don't believe VgChartz numbers.....what are you doing visiting this site?
There's plenty of other forums out there that have larger communities. I suggest you switch to one of them. 

360 undertracked = Vgchartz so innacurate! Ugh.
PS3 undertracked = VgChartz is the best sales site! <3

Oh come on guys. At least the regular members of this forum should not act all surprised that people are doubting these shipment numbers. Didn't the same thing happen with Sony numbers for years and people accused Sony of overshipping? (for 5 Q in a row or something?)

OT: It seems to me that we're undertracking 360 quite a bit. I guess we'll find out soon.

Amazing results for Microsoft... Along with Apple the only companies making this huge profits, companies that are into Pcs and games etc etc...

Sony reports will be awfull i wont even see them, they are dying and it will keep that way.

Xbox 360 drives huge profits but contracts with Nokia, Next Xbox etc etc make this quarter had a LOSS, the first since very long time.

Xbox needs thar Price Drop and Halo4/Forza/Fable etc... Holidays will be fun and the Launch of Windowes 8 will be massive i hope!

VGKing said:
epicberserk said:

If you don't believe VgChartz numbers.....what are you doing visiting this site?
There's plenty of other forums out there that have larger communities. I suggest you switch to one of them. 

360 undertracked = Vgchartz so innacurate! Ugh.
PS3 undertracked = VgChartz is the best sales site! <3

Undertracked or overtracked, neither are good.  It simply proves the point, that regardless of the situation, VGChartz numbers must be taken with a grain of salt.  They are useful, but to a limited extent, and they aren't the last word in sales figures. 

VGChartz numbers are estimates, they even say so in their methodology:

"Data is directly estimated in the following countries on a weekly basis..."

So, again, the numbers they present aren't factual data.  They are estimated guesses based on data they've collected from gamers, retailers, publishers, and wholesalers, as well as trending. 

Don't act surprised if people don't assume VGChartz is the word of God in gaming sales, because it isn't.  In terms of sales, they're no different that any other analyst.  Everything has to be taken with a grain of salt, as well, relying on one sole source for your information is not going to be of any benefit.  VGChartz isn't infalable.
Having said that, who cares at this point whether the Xbox 360 or the PS3 topped sales in 2011?  The gaming industry is losing sales and revenue like there is no tomorrow, Sony is in deep financial trouble, and everyone is planning on coming out with a new console within the next year or two. 

Move on people!  2011 is over.

I cannot wait until E3 so people have something more important to argue about.

Adinnieken said:
Aj_habfan said:
Jadedx said:
Aj_habfan said:
I wouldn't rule out USA completely because of NPD, there is room for error on their part there - an extra 500k in the past 6 months would definitely fall within the margin of error, with the remainder spread out thru parts of Europe and emerging markets.

No, NPD is never that far off. Why is it so hard to believe that the 360 can sell well in other countries?

Because no proof of this actual exists. We get data from USA, most of Europe, and Japan - the Europe/Japan sources are as solid as it gets, but the USA one has more room for error.

I already credited some of the difference to "emerging markets", but the entire difference coming from there? That would be tough for vgchartz going into the future if MS is able to sell that many consoles without anyone picking up a trace of it.

If Canada bought half of what the UK buys (as they have half the population) then sales in Canada would be aboot 140K per quarter.  Brazil has more than 50% of the US population.  If sales for the Xbox 360 were half of the US, you'd be looking at 500K per quarter.  Considering the Xbox 360 is god awfully expensive in Brazil (as are most things), then I'd suggest it's probably not that high.

For VG Chartz to correct the problem, I suppose they would either need to work with retailers in markets that they don't have properly covered, or rely on inaccurate estimates.  But the problem is VGChartz' not Microsoft's, Sony's, or Nintendo's.  As far as I know, VGChartz doesn't pay for its information, thus the maxium "You get what you pay for," applies.   As well for anyone who decides to use VGChartz as factual/real rather than guestimations. 

If December didn't key you into that, then I'm not sure what event has to occur that makes you realize that VGChartz is not the last word in gaming sales, but is just a resource to get a feel for how the industry is looking.

Vgchartz tracks Canada in Americas, and Canada does on average 1/10th of USA, whether that's near half of the UK or not I do not know. 

I obviously know the problem is vgchartz, not sure how you could have interpreted otherwise. I want to vgchartz to be as accurate as possible and if in fact these results are because of 360 growing into more markets we can't cover, it makes vgchartz less accurate. If it's undertracked in areas we cover, we can learn and improve from this information.