By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most disappointing game you've ever owned?

DieAppleDie said:
all this was better in 2d or the 3d transition was a step backwards thing is getting really annoying
Zelda oot and Super mario 64 were miles ahead of their older brothers as stated by every major media and expert in the world.
u r not a reliable source

Did they state WHY they were miles ahead bychance, or was it the whole "OMG IT'S 3D!!!" craze at the time Remember, the use of polygons doesn't automatically make the game better...

I can think of at least 5 reasons why I feel that predecessors from the 8/16 bit era felt like a more wholesome experience than their N64/PS1 counterparts.

Around the Network

is not about visual finess, 3d were still ugly and 2d graphics always look beautiful to me, like a paint
its about the experience, 2d visuals are not as half as inmersive as 3d ones
2d graphics are flat and impersonal
3d graphics are "real"
u can feel identified with what u see

DieAppleDie said:
is not about visual finess, 3d were still ugly and 2d graphics always look beautiful to me, like a paint
3d graphics are "real"

Even when what you see is a hideous monstrosity?  and who's to say 2D graphics can't be immersive and enjoyable?  I was more immersed in Final Fantasy VI than any 3D game I've ever played thanks to the depth of each and every one of the characters; meanwhile, Final Fantasy XIII has some of the flattest characters in an RPG.  

See what I did t here? 

Also, why has nobody called this guy on his apparently weak grasp of the English language?  he can't be bothered to spell 'you' yet he feels he can talk down to me for having rational, well thought out explanations on why I think Ocarina of Time is horrible overrated?  Something aint right in that boy.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
I think Fallout 3 does qualify for me, but at the same time I'm not sure if I should say that. See, I saw Fallout and immediately thought I wouldn't like it due to the aesthetic and setting; I don't like depressing post-apocalyptic nonsense and I find it..well, depressing. I said this to my friend, and he assured me that the quirky humor more than made up for it and the sheer vastness of the game and its world was too good to pass up. He got it for me for my birthday the year after it came out, and I tried playing it (made it like 20 hours in) and lost my save file. I tried going through it again, but man I was so bored.

I had similar issues with Oblibion. I adored the openness of it, but perhaps I was just too much of a newb, but I found the quest log system (like, your quest inventory) confusing as hell, and that meant I got lost entirely too often and I felt the game had no direction. the stonefaced, identical-sounding NPC's were boring as hell and had NO uniqueness to them, the game crammed too many stats ontop of each other, and the game was just a jumbled, unengaging mess. content was through the roof, but that didn't change the fact that it wasn't engaging.

At least Skyrim seemed to fix all that. greatly streamlined, much more emotion (though it could still use work), much more direction, better defined world, more variety in locales, better levelling system, better everything. If they could cut out the glitches and make the game have a little more polish, I could easily see myself putting this somewhere in my top ten games of all time list.

I love Fallout 3, sure there are some issues with it but I was charmed by the world and the lore in it. I felt it was a fresh change from the Elder Scrolls series. Some of it got quite repetitive. Despite that I enjoyed putting in the hours.

You should check out Morrowind, the graphics aren't that great and if you had problems with Oblivion's quest system you better take notes or use a tape recorder to stay on track in Morrowind. It's quests are mostly tracked through an auto journal and you have to read what's going on if you forgot...and they aren't helpful sometimes. Morrowind had an amazing story and it made you travel, no auto travel just walking, silt striders (city to city river travel), and boats. Sounds boring but Oblivion made the game too task by task....you'd probably hate it.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

DieAppleDie said:
Starwing was awful
Starfox was great fun but short and simple
Starfoz Adventure is the best in the series

if two games are a great frachise one of the two being awful
and releasing a pretty good adventure means turning it into mediocrity, i must be mentally ill ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or u might be WRONG!

Starwing was a great blend of shmup tropes with more realistic flight sim like physics and revolutionary 3D and great music.

Adventures was trash. The gameplay was Zelda Lite with horrible combat, the voice  acting was ear bleedingly awful, and it had none of the intensity or innovaton of the first two great games.

Around the Network

"Adventures was trash. The gameplay was Zelda Lite with horrible combat, the voice acting was ear bleedingly awful, and it had none of the intensity or innovaton of the first two great games."

voice acting is irrevlevant
combat was to simple but not horrible in any way
its a totally different genre so it cant be compared, not innovative doesnt mean bad

Starwing was total crap, too ambitious................its funny how u give credit to starwing for its 3d revolution, u should share your thoughts about how 3d was good or bad in its first steps with The writer.

Chark said:
Runa216 said:
I think Fallout 3 does qualify for me, but at the same time I'm not sure if I should say that. See, I saw Fallout and immediately thought I wouldn't like it due to the aesthetic and setting; I don't like depressing post-apocalyptic nonsense and I find it..well, depressing. I said this to my friend, and he assured me that the quirky humor more than made up for it and the sheer vastness of the game and its world was too good to pass up. He got it for me for my birthday the year after it came out, and I tried playing it (made it like 20 hours in) and lost my save file. I tried going through it again, but man I was so bored.

I had similar issues with Oblibion. I adored the openness of it, but perhaps I was just too much of a newb, but I found the quest log system (like, your quest inventory) confusing as hell, and that meant I got lost entirely too often and I felt the game had no direction. the stonefaced, identical-sounding NPC's were boring as hell and had NO uniqueness to them, the game crammed too many stats ontop of each other, and the game was just a jumbled, unengaging mess. content was through the roof, but that didn't change the fact that it wasn't engaging.

At least Skyrim seemed to fix all that. greatly streamlined, much more emotion (though it could still use work), much more direction, better defined world, more variety in locales, better levelling system, better everything. If they could cut out the glitches and make the game have a little more polish, I could easily see myself putting this somewhere in my top ten games of all time list.

I love Fallout 3, sure there are some issues with it but I was charmed by the world and the lore in it. I felt it was a fresh change from the Elder Scrolls series. Some of it got quite repetitive. Despite that I enjoyed putting in the hours.

You should check out Morrowind, the graphics aren't that great and if you had problems with Oblivion's quest system you better take notes or use a tape recorder to stay on track in Morrowind. It's quests are mostly tracked through an auto journal and you have to read what's going on if you forgot...and they aren't helpful sometimes. Morrowind had an amazing story and it made you travel, no auto travel just walking, silt striders (city to city river travel), and boats. Sounds boring but Oblivion made the game too task by task....you'd probably hate it.

I actually have Morrowind Game of the Year edition on Steam, as well as Oblivion and Skyrim, becuase..why not? I didn't mind Morrowind, but it's kinda nothing compared to Skyrim.  after playing skyrim I don't think I can return to another Elder Scrolls game.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

DieAppleDie said:
 voice acting is irrevlevant
combat was to simple but not horrible in any way
its a totally different genre so it cant be compared, not innovative doesnt mean bad

Starwing was total crap, too ambitious...

Voice acting is completely relevent; it's part of the game.

And the simplicity was why the combat sucked; it was mindless, you just spammed one button as baddies came at you one at a time.

Starwing's ambition pays off in the game; its boss fights and set pieces are intense and clever, and its cinematic moments are way ahead of its time.

DieAppleDie said:
3d graphics are "real"

I'm sorry, but I'd prefer consistency with the sprites and the setting rather than have flat shaded polygon characters with lego-like movements on top of a pre-rendered, static background (ala Final Fantasy 7).

No consistency between the character and their environment is what breaks the gameplay immersion, not sprites.

´so a too simplified combat and bad voice acting makes a game so bad and disgusting?
theres much more in the game, maybe u even played it more then an hour?

Starwing was just an arcade shooter with bad graphics, Adventures is a Zelda clone (which is good) with much more to do, much varied and deeper experience........its just on another level