By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most disappointing game you've ever owned?

lestatdark said:

Oh I agree that FF6 did refine the ATB system, especially since FF4&FF5 had some glitches when it came to the priorities between magic and physical attacks which FF6 corrected. And I also agree that most of the long drawn out moves in the 3D FFs are almost exhasperating due to their duration but mostly those in FF7 since later FFs added a shorten summon duration function. 

you actually used summons in VII?  you poor fool!  

I found the only game I Regularly used summons on was X, becuase they were...well, awesome.  I rarely ever used them in VI, I only used Knights of the Round in VII (becuase the others were NOT cost effective), VIII were used sparingly becuase they were overpowered and took too long (made the game less fun), and IX I don't remember much of the summons; I remember IX's summons being more in the story than the combat.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Runa216 said:
which is why Wink Waker will last throughout the agies, due to its toony celshaded graphics.

Yep; it looked hideous in 2002 an it will look hideous in 2022. ;)

Was that supposed to be a humorous joke?

Food for thought: Shove an apple in your brain

Wind Waker is awesome, not disappointing at all imo

Tekken 3d well..............at first i was like WTF is this shit, U FOCUS ON THE ONLINE AND ITS CRAP? WTF WERE U THINKING ON NAMCO?
Now im enjoying it quite a lot, when u find an opponent online without lag the game is just so fast, its great fun, the graphics are good, the 3d efect is strong, and the gameplay is so deep , i like Lei, Kazuya and Law the most
I dont miss story mode, always been pretty crappy
Tekken 3D > DOA Dimensions by a mile imo

Runa216 said:
lestatdark said:

Oh I agree that FF6 did refine the ATB system, especially since FF4&FF5 had some glitches when it came to the priorities between magic and physical attacks which FF6 corrected. And I also agree that most of the long drawn out moves in the 3D FFs are almost exhasperating due to their duration but mostly those in FF7 since later FFs added a shorten summon duration function. 

you actually used summons in VII?  you poor fool!  

I found the only game I Regularly used summons on was X, becuase they were...well, awesome.  I rarely ever used them in VI, I only used Knights of the Round in VII (becuase the others were NOT cost effective), VIII were used sparingly becuase they were overpowered and took too long (made the game less fun), and IX I don't remember much of the summons; I remember IX's summons being more in the story than the combat.  

Rarely if anything at all. I did have them equipped in the materia slots mostly because they gave good modifiers for Green/Yellow Materia users, such as Aeris or Yuffie, though at least Red Materia had a bit of a use .

Also used Guardian Forces rarely on FFVIII, because even when Boosted they weren't that powerful especially when you could spam Auras to get the Limit Breaks almost in any fight even before leaving Balamb Garden. I did use the ones on IX a lot, because they were amazing (and because Garnet had no other viable attacks) and were very cost effective.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
DepthAlly said:
curl-6 said:
Runa216 said:
which is why Wink Waker will last throughout the agies, due to its toony celshaded graphics.

More of a dig, but I meant it when I said it looks hideous.

All too often cel shading aadds up to little more than a lack of texture detail and Wind Waker is a prime example.

Plus, the football-headed, tiny-bodied characters look lame, and if you're going to base an entire game around an ocean, it's not a good idea to maake it a bland expanse with a grand total of two colours.

curl-6 said:
DepthAlly said:
curl-6 said:
Runa216 said:

All too often cel shading aadds up to little more than a lack of texture detail and Wind Waker is a prime example.

Plus, the football-headed, tiny-bodied characters look lame, and if you're going to base an entire game around an ocean, it's not a good idea to maake it a bland expanse with a grand total of two colours.

I'm glad I'm not you, then.

Food for thought: Shove an apple in your brain

curl-6 said:
DepthAlly said:
curl-6 said:
Runa216 said:

okay, lemme get this straight: becuase something doesn't look photorealistic, it looks hideous?  something toony is inherently ugly?  dude, what are you smoking, seriously.  your opinion on graphics can be wiped from the internet and we'd all be better for it! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
curl-6 said:
DepthAlly said:
curl-6 said:
Runa216 said:

okay, lemme get this straight: becuase something doesn't look photorealistic, it looks hideous?  something toony is inherently ugly?  dude, what are you smoking, seriously.  your opinion on graphics can be wiped from the internet and we'd all be better for it! 

I never said something has to look photorealistic to look good.

"Toony" graphics  work in some cases; Red Steel 2, Muramasa, and Rayman Origins look absolutely gorgeous, for instance. For that matter so do other non-realistic games like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Sonic Colours, etc.

It's just too easy for cel shading to just wind up looking like big blobs/blocks of single colours, which isn't a good look. It's very difficult to make it look amazing, and Wind Waker doesn't pull it off in my opinion.