By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - The King and Queen of Pop

leo-j said:
man-bear-pig said:
MontanaHatchet said:
superchunk said:
Michael Jackson... clearly. No one before or after is even close.

Queen is a bit more arguable. Madonna is certainly there, however, Lady Gaga is certainly pushing for a take over.

Well when Lady Gaga sells 300 million albums then that'll be a safe claim. Just another 200+ million to go!

Lady Gaga has only sold 20 million albums, and her popularity is declining rapidly.. She has no chance!

Anyway, king of pop is MJ, queen of pop is Britney Spears... IMO.

Lady GaGa has sold over 30 MILLION albums WW to date, and how is her popularity declining when every single artist and their mother is tributing lady gaga? Face it, when madonna has to comment about her, and elton john and his husband say madonna is a has been who's trying to take down someone with actual talent aka lady gaga, she's easily up there

I don't know where you got that 30 million figure lol... Anyway, Lady Gaga is a complete and utter gimmick, and in the past year or so her popularity has been rapidly declining because people are starting to realise the truth!

Around the Network
Zim said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Michael Jackson
Lady Gaga

(madonna may have been around for a long time, but her actual music talent is.. well i don't want to upset anyone)

... Madonna apparently has no actual music talent but LADY GAGA does...... Lady Gaga.... musical talent.... I don't want to live on this planet anymore. 

I'm not even a big fan of Madonna but she at least has always come off as quite geniune. Her debut album featured a number of tracks where she was the sole writer etc. 

Whereas Lady Gaga is the pinnacle of marketing over music. Even the name was created by a marketing company. 

So yea even though I've never been a huge fan of Madonna and even MJ I was a very very casual fan of I think they are both pretty definitively the King and Queen of Pop.

Queen is a bit of a closer call than King however I think Madonna's sales are still so much higher than people like Mariah or Celine and she has stayed more relevant. MJ seems like he will be there for well into the future. Whereas it's possible in the foreseeable future someone could sell more/ be moreinfluential than Madonna. Britney Spears has had a bit of a rough career recently but she is still only 30 and if she manages to have a strong career as she gets older then she could beat Madonna. 

madonna did not WRITE a single track on her debut album, MADONNA was NEVER a song writer when she started off

GAGA has written every single song on every single one of her albums... and CO PRODUCED them, and WROTE the majority of the production for all of her hits, and all of the production for her latest album "BORN THIS WAY".

And guess what you're right she is the pinnacle of markting over the music industry, but that's because what she did caused a HUGE and grand change within the misuc industry, that alone should staple her as an ICON for pop music....

1. IF IT WASN'T FOR LADY GAGA, radio would NEVER TOUCH dance music in the U.S FACT. JUST DANCE was never played on radio, until she HERSELF pushed her label and went to the majority of radio stations in the country to promote that single, they all said that song was too dance for radio, and she said NO it's POP, play it, they did, and it went #1, and to date is one of the biggest selling singles in music history in the U.S selling well over 6 MILLION records.

2. DEF JAM, and most other labels DROPPED her for wearing FREAKISH outfits and being what wasn't IN at the time, DEF JAM TOLD HER IF SHE DIDN'T USE AUTO TUNE OR BECOME A HOE WANNA BE HIP HOP GIRL they'd DROP HER, and she said FUCK YOU, and she was dropped but guess what? She never stopped fighting, and wiht interscope she became a pop legend.

RIHANNA/KATY PERRY/ NICKI MINAJ/ BRITNEY SPEARS/ and the majority of singers on radio today are ALL PURE SELL OUTS, except LADY GAGA who became the leader everyone is now following, 3 YEARS AGO no one wore what she wore, everyone thought it was weird, but she became a huge fashion icon, and changed EVERYTHING and that can NEVER be denied.....

NEVER.

mM

Leo-J is the hero Lady Gaga deserves.... always there to defend her... how did he knew it? he just does.. he just does..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

man-bear-pig said:
leo-j said:
man-bear-pig said:
MontanaHatchet said:
superchunk said:
Michael Jackson... clearly. No one before or after is even close.

Queen is a bit more arguable. Madonna is certainly there, however, Lady Gaga is certainly pushing for a take over.

Well when Lady Gaga sells 300 million albums then that'll be a safe claim. Just another 200+ million to go!

Lady Gaga has only sold 20 million albums, and her popularity is declining rapidly.. She has no chance!

Anyway, king of pop is MJ, queen of pop is Britney Spears... IMO.

Lady GaGa has sold over 30 MILLION albums WW to date, and how is her popularity declining when every single artist and their mother is tributing lady gaga? Face it, when madonna has to comment about her, and elton john and his husband say madonna is a has been who's trying to take down someone with actual talent aka lady gaga, she's easily up there

I don't know where you got that 30 million figure lol... Anyway, Lady Gaga is a complete and utter gimmick, and in the past year or so her popularity has been rapidly declining because people are starting to realise the truth!

What's the truth? That everyone else is trying to be lady gaga, even madonna herself? Who in fact lip synched the entire super bowl performance?

mM

Madonna hasn't sold much more than Mariah or Celine - the amount sold between them is too close to call, that's how close the record sales are - and please don't quote Guiness World Records as a reliable source - they are paid to vindicate "records" by the people whom it suits.

Madonna certainly causes more of a storm than the other two, and has always been a big crowd pleaser, which is why I'd give her the Queen title, but for people interested more in substance over style, Mariah and Celine are the winners.

Around the Network

Another Lady Gaga win over Madonna is the fact that Lady Gaga can ACTUALLY SING

And since when is having the following loosing popularity?

US top 40 billboard Pop chart:

Just dance: #1
Poker face: #1
Love game: #1
Papparazzi: #1
Bad Romance: #1
Telephone: #1
Alejandro: #3
Born this way: #1
Judas: top 25(it was dropped by radio because of label request)
Edge of Glory: #3
You and i: #7
Marry The night: #14

She has yet to not have a top 25 hit on pop radio..... sure she may have lost her top 10 streak on the billboard hot 100 due to marry the night not doing that well, but that's because her LABEL is focusing on LMFAO, MADONNA, and a load of more interscope artists..... she isn't fading, if it wasn't for her everything JLO is releasing would have never happened, same goes for minaj's new singles, considering RED ONE became relevant after she made him relevant with Just Dance and Poker Face

mM

As for talent, people tend to overrate Adele, and seriously Underrate Lady GaGa....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=jz9N3UwkodQ

find someone today in the industry who can dance like her and sing like her? NO ONE not even MADONNA can touch her....

now if u want a talentless gimmick, look at rihanna and katy perry who are complete label puppets, rihanna who has an entire team set up for her to write hit music...... it's pathetic how people buy into their music, but guess what it's made to sell, same with katy perry, who is a manufactured pop tart as well, who admitted she sold out

mM
leo-j said:
And since when is having the following loosing popularity?

US top 40 billboard Pop chart:

Just dance: #1
Poker face: #1
Love game: #1
Papparazzi: #1
Bad Romance: #1
Telephone: #1
Alejandro: #3
Born this way: #1
Judas: top 25(it was dropped by radio because of label request)
Edge of Glory: #3
You and i: #7
Marry The night: #14

She has yet to not have a top 25 hit on pop radio..... sure she may have lost her top 10 streak on the billboard hot 100 due to marry the night not doing that well, but that's because her LABEL is focusing on LMFAO, MADONNA, and a load of more interscope artists..... she isn't fading, if it wasn't for her everything JLO is releasing would have never happened, same goes for minaj's new singles, considering RED ONE became relevant after she made him relevant with Just Dance and Poker Face

Can you not see the trend this shows? #1's---->#3's---->#7---->#14 ... This shows exactly what I was saying; her popularity is declining rapidly.. She's still popular, but even you can't deny that her popularity in waning.. You posted the evidence yourself fgs.

okay? Interscope was focusing on LMFAO.... who is on the same label as her, labels do that..... album sales don't show her declining at all.... she sold almost nothing in 2008, then had the 2nd biggest selling album WW with TF/TFM in 2009, that same album was the best selling album WW in 2010, and in 2011 she had the 2nd biggest selling album WW.... and next to ADELE was the artist who sold most albums WW....

and her new tou coming this year, is already selling out in STADIUMS not arenas that these other musicians are touring in.... including MADONNA, gaga is selling out STADIUMS, that is in no way a decline in anything

mM