By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - The King and Queen of Pop

King: Elvis Presley (He wins this easy for me)

Queen uhh, Madonna, Kylie, Sophie Ellis Bextor or Nadia Ali (Yeah, this one is not so easy)

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
The king of pop is Micheal Jackson

The Queen of pop is Elton John

I LOL'ed when I read this.  Good picks!!

zero129 said:
Elvis is the King of all music xD

I don't think it's possible to cram more pure truth in a single post.

To all you fools saying Lady Gaga:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists#300_million_or_more_records

Mariah Carey, Celine Dion (if you count her as pop), Whitney Houston, barbara Streisand, Brittney Spears, Janet Jackson, Olivia Newton John, Tina Turner, dolly Parton, Shakira, and even Rhianna have more sales than she does.

She will not come close to most of those, though I could see her almost matching Britney Spears by the time it's all said and done...that still leave Streisand, Houston, Dion, and Mariah Carey As WELL out of her reach, whereas Madonna is right below Michael Jackson.

Also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M0RbaPxq2k&feature=g-all-a&context=G2b16f62FAAAAAAAADAA

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Okay: king: MJ, queen: Britney spears or Mariah Carey

Around the Network

The King Of Pop:MJ with no close competition.

The Queen of Pop: Britney Spears.... cuz she is the youngest female to sell over 100 million albums with all of her albums topping the charts! except for Blackout which placed 2nd. she is the best dancer & had the most unique performances at the Video Music Awards. she went through a mental breakdawn but still came back after with a successful number 1 hits and she is still relevant to this date.

I wouldn't say Mariah Carey is the Queen of Pop as she isn't really a pop artist - I'd go for Madonna, although I think she is a washed up hag nowadays. For me, Mariah Carey is the greatest voice, I am a huge fan, but I also love Celine Dion and Whitney Houston. My three favourites - awesome vocalists.

King of Pop - Michael Jackson, naturally. And for simply being "The King" - Elvis Presley.

PlaystaionGamer said:
Michael Jackson
Lady Gaga

(madonna may have been around for a long time, but her actual music talent is.. well i don't want to upset anyone)

... Madonna apparently has no actual music talent but LADY GAGA does...... Lady Gaga.... musical talent.... I don't want to live on this planet anymore. 

I'm not even a big fan of Madonna but she at least has always come off as quite geniune. Her debut album featured a number of tracks where she was the sole writer etc. 

Whereas Lady Gaga is the pinnacle of marketing over music. Even the name was created by a marketing company. 

So yea even though I've never been a huge fan of Madonna and even MJ I was a very very casual fan of I think they are both pretty definitively the King and Queen of Pop.

Queen is a bit of a closer call than King however I think Madonna's sales are still so much higher than people like Mariah or Celine and she has stayed more relevant. MJ seems like he will be there for well into the future. Whereas it's possible in the foreseeable future someone could sell more/ be moreinfluential than Madonna. Britney Spears has had a bit of a rough career recently but she is still only 30 and if she manages to have a strong career as she gets older then she could beat Madonna. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

man-bear-pig said:
MontanaHatchet said:
superchunk said:
Michael Jackson... clearly. No one before or after is even close.

Queen is a bit more arguable. Madonna is certainly there, however, Lady Gaga is certainly pushing for a take over.

Well when Lady Gaga sells 300 million albums then that'll be a safe claim. Just another 200+ million to go!

Lady Gaga has only sold 20 million albums, and her popularity is declining rapidly.. She has no chance!

Anyway, king of pop is MJ, queen of pop is Britney Spears... IMO.

Lady GaGa has sold over 30 MILLION albums WW to date, and how is her popularity declining when every single artist and their mother is tributing lady gaga? Face it, when madonna has to comment about her, and elton john and his husband say madonna is a has been who's trying to take down someone with actual talent aka lady gaga, she's easily up there

mM
Runa216 said:
To all you fools saying Lady Gaga:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists#300_million_or_more_records

Mariah Carey, Celine Dion (if you count her as pop), Whitney Houston, barbara Streisand, Brittney Spears, Janet Jackson, Olivia Newton John, Tina Turner, dolly Parton, Shakira, and even Rhianna have more sales than she does.

She will not come close to most of those, though I could see her almost matching Britney Spears by the time it's all said and done...that still leave Streisand, Houston, Dion, and Mariah Carey As WELL out of her reach, whereas Madonna is right below Michael Jackson.

Also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M0RbaPxq2k&feature=g-all-a&context=G2b16f62FAAAAAAAADAA

okay? It's called piracy, and guess what she's sold well over 100 million records to date....

mM