By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U to be priced at $299?

Tagged games:

pezus said:
TomaTito said:
odellwwww said:
Hope they have different bundles at launch at different price points ie a 4gb standard system at lower price...that's if the system has changed and will actually have an internal hard drive. Still not sure what nintendo is planning in releasing a hd console without an included hardrive.

It's releasing with something better than a HDD, a SSD.

They are? An SSD is much more expensive than HDD. Nintendo isn't going for bleeding-edge technology.

Of course it's expensive, that's why it won't have as much capacity as they would have with HDD. And why they added the expansion possibilities through SD/USB.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
pezus said:
TomaTito said:
pezus said:

An SSD is much more expensive than HDD. Nintendo isn't going for bleeding-edge technology.

Of course it's expensive, that's why it won't have as much capacity as they would have with HDD. And why they added the expansion possibilities through SD/USB.

Yes, but why have a small SSD if they have SD already?

A base min. storage for all consoles and the integrated flash memory may have faster transfer rates than SD for all we know.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Very good price! This console will sell millions in the first few month!

NightDragon83 said:

lol, sounds like you bought into all the next gen hype a bit prematurely.  I agree that Nextbox is definitely going to hit by late 2013, but it's gonna be really tough for Sony to launch a new console by then.  Are they going to have enough software ready in time for such a launch window, and, more importantly, will they have the massive amount of funds available ready to launch a new console in less than 2 years?  We're talking numbers in the billions for a WW launch, and Sony's financial status isn't exactly in the best of shape these days.

What hype? I've been saying this since probably 2009 or so... maybe earlier.

2012/13 has always been my peg for next gen start.

Sony is not going to let Nintendo have a 2 year head start and if they can help it, no head start for MS. They know MS will be putting something out by 2013 at the latest so that is also their target.

E3 will confirm this.

RolStoppable said:

Sure, Nintendo had no idea what they were doing. But at least you are now conceding that Nintendo made a big mistake.

Seriously? I said:

• You're focusing on the wrong point. It was 3rd party that turned the tides in gen 4, not 1st party.
  • Nintendo's 1st party sold more than Sony's gen 4, sequel or not.   The sales are close, but the tie ratio for individual titles is much much higher for the N64.
N64
PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Super Mario 64 N64 1996 Platform Nintendo 6.91 2.85 1.91 0.23 11.89
2 Mario Kart 64 N64 1996 Racing Nintendo 5.55 1.94 2.23 0.15 9.87
3 GoldenEye 007 N64 1997 Shooter Nintendo 5.80 2.01 0.13 0.15 8.09
4 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64 1998 Adventure Nintendo 4.10 1.89 1.45 0.16 7.60
5 Super Smash Bros. N64 1999 Fighting Nintendo 2.95 0.60 1.97 0.04 5.55
6 Pokémon Stadium N64 1999 Strategy Nintendo 3.18 1.24 0.94 0.09 5.45
7 Donkey Kong 64 N64 1999 Platform Nintendo 3.33 0.79 1.09 0.06 5.27
8 Diddy Kong Racing N64 1997 Racing Nintendo 2.91 0.99 0.89 0.10 4.88
9 Star Fox 64 N64 1997 Shooter Nintendo 2.78 0.58 0.64 0.04 4.03
10 Banjo-Kazooie N64 1998 Platform Nintendo 1.87 1.13 0.55 0.10 3.65
11 Pokémon Snap N64 1999 Simulation Nintendo 2.23 0.68 0.66 0.06 3.63
12 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask N64 2000 Adventure Nintendo 1.90 0.67 0.73 0.06 3.36
Versus
PS1
PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Gran Turismo PS 1997 Racing Sony Computer Entertainment 4.22 3.87 2.54 0.52 11.15
3 Gran Turismo 2 PS 1999 Racing Sony Computer Entertainment 3.88 3.29 1.69 0.50 9.36
5 Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back PS 1997 Platform Sony Computer Entertainment 3.78 2.17 1.31 0.31 7.58
7 Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped PS 1998 Platform Sony Computer Entertainment 3.68 1.75 1.42 0.28 7.13
8 Crash Bandicoot PS 1996 Platform Sony Computer Entertainment 3.23 2.35 0.94 0.30 6.82
18 Spyro the Dragon PS 1998 Platform Sony Computer Entertainment 3.36 1.36 0.07 0.21 5.00
19 Crash Team Racing PS 1999 Racing Sony Computer Entertainment 2.57 1.57 0.44 0.21 4.79
30 Spyro: Year of the Dragon PS 2000 Platform Sony Computer Entertainment 1.93 1.58 0.00 0.19 3.71
36 Grand Theft Auto 2 PS 1998 Adventure Take-Two Interactive 1.13 2.07 0.00 0.22 3.42
37 Crash Bash PS 2000 Misc Sony Computer Entertainment 1.56 1.47 0.19 0.17 3.39

In other words, had the blue ocean never existed, Nintendo was in a very bad position. Yes they were making lots of money, but their platforms were not attaracting 3rd party support.

If Nintendo were any smart, they would go after both the blue and the red. And they're precisely doing just that.

You're saying Nintendo was not victim to circumstance and failed on its own merits, I'm here to show you that PS proves you very very wrong. Yes the blue ocean would have expanded Nintendo's market, OF COURSE. But the red ocean Nintendo lost due to circumstance.

See, the PS1 followed the NES tradition pretty much spot on. New IPs, decent 1party sales, decent 3party sales, games that appeal to all ages and genders (without necessarily aggressively marketing said segments).

What Nintendo did is that it failed to attract the 3rd parties, and didn't have the leverage to even attract the extended segments. That's why the Wii needed such an aggressive marketing strategy, one that was not needed for the NES.

Around the Network

It really depends on the stuff Nintendo puts into the console. We had rumors the console would equal the HD twins in power and other sources who said it will be a lot more powerful than those.

A console with graphical parity to PS3 / 360 could be sold at $299 while maintaining a profit (of course the tablet will add around $50 to the retail price) but if Nintendo decides to take a more sophisticated approach (Quad core CPU and 1.5+GB of Ram) I would expect a retail price of $349. I'd rather have them take a more conservative approach and focus on market expansion. Going for 3rd party support is nice but it could end in a console that can do anything but does nothing well.

Very good price point if true!

Especially for a NEXT GEN (i.e. 8th gen) console. Which is what it is. Despite what you may think. It's designed to compete with NextBox and PS4, but steal some of the market from PS3 and 360 currently.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:

Stop and think about that for a second. Why would anyone want to bridge back to the N64/GameCube?

Good question, but the failure of the N64, or even the Gamecube go way beyond SW, even HW content, you should know that! The PS1/2 did not go the way of the Wii, yet sold a shton, so what happened there, was it the casuals that helped that happen? Also, the HD twins are now at almost 120M sold! Trad vs casual, really is that the question, or is that simply a new question? Trad has an intrinsic value, despite the failure of N64/Cube.

(...)

The failure of the N64 and GC is rooted in the software and hardware though. Everything beyond consists of just minor factors. No amount of marketing can save a poor product in the long run and neither was price ever a real issue for these two Nintendo systems. An interesting question is why did the GC worse than the Nintendo 64 despite having vastly better third party support, i.e. receiving most multiplatform games and more games overall in its lifetime? And how could the Wii with worse third party support than the GC when it comes to quality software outsell the previous two Nintendo systems combined with ease? Why did Wii sales collapse eventually?

The right answers to these questions lead to an unsettling truth that puts world views upside down. The N64 and GC were not traditional consoles, they were abominations. Once you step out of the Nintendo fanboy zone, you begin to realize that these generations were not a time of evolution, but rather an era of destruction of the original values. Once the tradition was restored, Nintendo became successful again. Once the tradition was abandoned again, Nintendo's business started to fall through the floor. Within Nintendo, there are two opposing directions that do not mash. Whichever one happens to be the dominant one at a given time decides over Nintendo's fate.

I think your biggest blind-spot here is that you confuse Wii's strategy with a return to tradition. On the contrary, it was a major contingency plan in face of an identity crisis, after seeing the Red Ocean helplessly stolen from under their feet.

To further your point, you demonstrate that the NES catered to the mainstream, but what you don't realize is that the Wii's strategy was to Primarily target the mainstream at the expense of mostly all else. That was not the NES strategy.

The Wii U strategy is closer to a return to the NES strategy, with a slight bend towards the hobbyist. Not considerably though. Both the mainstream and the hobbyist will be targetted, as was the case with the NES.

@Italics. Good question. Wii sales collapsed because Nintendo did not solidify its fortification, by ensuring a solid general hobbyist userbase, as well they decided to sacrifice catering to the Wii's mainstream in order to focus on the next gen. This is where 3rd parties are a fundamental piece of the puzzle. For backup.

@bold. The failure of these 2 platforms comes from the departure of 3rd parties at the time of the N64, even if the GC had a measure of support, it was far too late.

RolStoppable said:

The NES and SNES weren't propelled by third party software. It was Nintendo games that turned both systems into successes. You are conceding that the N64/GC and PS1/PS2 were equal when ignoring third party support. That's cerainly not how Nintendo should work or worked during their early days. Once again, I am not sure if that was your intention, because you follow that up with an insane leap in logic ("Nintendo's tradition is to heavily rely on third party support, that's why the N64 failed where the NES succeeded"). It is as if I am talking to Joelcool7 here.

What I'm trying to say, Rol, is that when it comes to the red ocean, Nintendo lost due to lack of 3rd party support. Otherwise they destroyed the PS. It's like as if I'm takling to a total noob here, no offense.

Ah, Europe with a 25% price markup, ridiculous as usual.