By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U to be priced at $299?

Tagged games:

happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:
happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:

No. I lived with the GameCube and was quite content at the time. However, i wish to see Nintendo succeed and i believe they will only get there by aggressively pushing the Wii U as an extension of the Wii, and not as a concession to everything that wasn't the Wii.

If the revolution went back to the drawing board, I don't see why the WiiU can't, and in the process, make a more faithful bridge to its traditional controls. If Wii bridged to S/NES via versatility, then WiiU bridges to N64/cube by the same effect, being a gen more relevant.

As an even stronger argument, what Wii failed to achieve with the classic controller, the WiiU achieves so much more elegantly, offering even double versatility as it bridges to both N64/Cube and S/NES.

MInd you I don't advocate scrapping the Wii, and WiiMote back compatibilty more than suits the need.

Stop and think about that for a second. Why would anyone want to bridge back to the N64/GameCube?

Good question, but the failure of the N64, or even the Gamecube go way beyond SW, even HW content, you should know that! The PS1/2 did not go the way of the Wii, yet sold a shton, so what happened there, was it the casuals that helped that happen? Also, the HD twins are now at almost 120M sold! Trad vs casual, really is that the question, or is that simply a new question? Trad has an intrinsic value, despite the failure of N64/Cube.

There is truth behind that. Where the matter becomes tricky, however, is that people keep looking at what makes the PS1/PS2/HD Twins as successful as they are, and deriving the wrong answers. Nintendo is not immune from this, and neither, funnily enough, are Sony and Microsoft. There is certainly a way to capture the existing market while aggressively pushing boundaries outward, but people are trapped in a manner of thinking that the two sides exist as a dichotomy. Hence the Wii U, where the idea is that you need to out-complicate the HD Twins in order to gain an edge against them.

While there is a large market for the traditional experience, most companies seem to be viewing "traditional" too narrowly, which is where the problems come in.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

There is truth behind that. Where the matter becomes tricky, however, is that people keep looking at what makes the PS1/PS2/HD Twins as successful as they are, and deriving the wrong answers. Nintendo is not immune from this, and neither, funnily enough, are Sony and Microsoft. There is certainly a way to capture the existing market while aggressively pushing boundaries outward, but people are trapped in a manner of thinking that the two sides exist as a dichotomy. Hence the Wii U, where the idea is that you need to out-complicate the HD Twins in order to gain an edge against them.

While there is a large market for the traditional experience, most companies seem to be viewing "traditional" too narrowly, which is where the problems come in.

I completely agree with you. They are not mutually exclusive. As a manufacturer intent on being #1, both need to be fully satisfied.  As much as the WiiU controller secures that base via trad controls, as much as it extends above and beyond by acting as a trad/tablet hybrid, leading to various forms of play on one single controller device (rather than 2, which there would lead to confusion and diluted identity).  Then, to also ride the Wii wave, keeping the Wiimote backwards compatible is a stroke of genius, since people won't have to re-purchase the Wiimotes (which would lead to possibly segemented audiences), but would likely have them from their prior purchase of the brand (90M+ sold in total). A bundled wiimote would definitely help to banish any doubt at securing the userbase and 3rd party support, especially given the fact that it is now aged hardware that is probably very cheap to make. Boo at lost margin, but it's worth the risk reduction. ;)

happydolphin said:
archbrix said:
VGKing said:

The price point is most likely true. It won't fly off shelves at $300 though.
I think $250 is the perfect price point for a Nintendo console.

Oh, it will definitely fly off shelves at $300 with the right software.  The PS2 did exceptionally well at that launch price (still holds the record here in the States for the biggest first day opening for a console).  Granted, it also featured DVD playback, but its launch lineup was pretty lackluster.  All WiiU needs is the right games.

Another point in favor of PS2 was that it was riding off the huge success of the PS1. 100M sales at the time was a ginormeous feat. Plus impeccable marketing and brand power. Nintendo is doing very well post DS/Wii, but is still a disputed winner this gen, since PS360 together beat it, and a large segment is not under its banner, So, it's way under the PS1's power, and way below what the big N is capable of, and what it's once been (NES).

This is true, and something I considered as well (although coming off of the Wii's success is nothing to sneeze at), but a few things to consider are the fact that Nintendo hasn't had a serious visual upgrade in console tech in over ten years (since N64 to GC), the fact that the WiiU offers a new type of controller (which is something the PS2 didn't), and that WiiU is launching first in the 8th gen, whereas the PS2 launched second (not that it mattered... poor Dreamcast).

I truly believe that with a year's head start, a $299 price and, most importantly, compelling software, WiiU has the potential to be the victor next gen IF Nintendo plays their cards right.

Great price. Hopefully I'll be able to convince all nearby PS360 users to pick this up early on :P

archbrix said:

This is true, and something I considered as well (although coming off of the Wii's success is nothing to sneeze at), but a few things to consider are the fact that Nintendo hasn't had a serious visual upgrade in console tech in over ten years (since N64 to GC), the fact that the WiiU offers a new type of controller (which is something the PS2 didn't), and that WiiU is launching first in the 8th gen, whereas the PS2 launched second (not that it mattered... poor Dreamcast).

I truly believe that with a year's head start, a $299 price and, most importantly, compelling software, WiiU has the potential to be the victor next gen IF Nintendo plays their cards right.

One can only wish. But if the way they handled Revolution post-cube was any indicator, and with the 3DS' current trend, I think we can have faith in Nintendo. Even when they do make a mistake (3DS launch price), they ensure the situation is remedied.

The things that do worry me for now and of which we are uncertain of the future of the trends are (despite their reasons of being):

• Sales of Wii Play Motion
  • Zelda Skyward Sword
  • Super Mario 3D Land (as good as sales are, they aren't as high as I would've liked)
  • Sales of Nintendogs + Cats
  • The future of the Brain Age series due to fatigue and competition of pick-up and play games from social and mobile platforms.
If I were Nintendo those are the things I would like to mitigate. It already seems SS is getting a new trailer, Mario is getting a 2D offering this year on 3DS, Nintendogs + Cat just got a fantastic demo, and Brain Age is being reinvented.
Despite this mitigation, I still think there is a high measure of risk. Hopefully, the sheer variety of offerings, and strength of the hobbyist userbase will help drive Nintendo forward this gen, in contrast with the few, HUGELY evergreen hits this generation vying off the support of the mainstream. Time will tell, but Nintendo is smart to please the hobbyist this gen I believe (all the while cater to the mainstream).
Time will tell! (hopefully sooner than later)

Around the Network
superchunk said:
NightDragon83 said:
superchunk said:

@ those arguing about a wiimote/nunchuk in the box.

Its going to happen. It costs Nintendo probably less than $10 to produce a wiimote/nunchuk combo. It will have plenty of games with multiple control options and will help push multiplayer in the built-in game that will include those tech games from the E3 demos.

There will be a new console, new tablet controller, game to push hardware similar to how Wii sports worked, wiimote/nunchuk.

Aren't you the guy who keeps saying that M$ will unveil the NextBox at this year's E3 and that it's coming before the end of the year?

lol I figured I had a 60/40 shot at that when I made the bet. Months later its more like 30/70 against me. But my sig is still 100% right and I will be right on this too.

lol, sounds like you bought into all the next gen hype a bit prematurely.  I agree that Nextbox is definitely going to hit by late 2013, but it's gonna be really tough for Sony to launch a new console by then.  Are they going to have enough software ready in time for such a launch window, and, more importantly, will they have the massive amount of funds available ready to launch a new console in less than 2 years?  We're talking numbers in the billions for a WW launch, and Sony's financial status isn't exactly in the best of shape these days.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I'm now thinking that they will 299$/€ (yep they don't do a good change here) only if Nintendo want to put, at least in the first months, the company in danger de-pricing the console to have more sales from the start.

In any case, any price depends on the development costs of the Pad.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

I think the price point will also depend on when the competition releases their new consoles. If it's a year away they will likely go for the 300-350 range all of us think, but if it's more than one year away they can go higher and drop the price later. Maybe they want to stay firm on one price during the first few years (just like the Wii) and 300 could keep people's interest.

EDIT: The WiiU (SNES) is just the evolution of the Wii (NES), that's why some people want to name it Super Wii. It has the SNES controller as the new feature, but it's somehow compatible to all the NES hardware/software. Next generation we could see another revolution.

odellwwww said:
Hope they have different bundles at launch at different price points ie a 4gb standard system at lower price...that's if the system has changed and will actually have an internal hard drive. Still not sure what nintendo is planning in releasing a hd console without an included hardrive.

It's releasing with something better than a HDD, a SSD.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

pezus said:

Slight correction: The HD twins are close to 130m sold.

Truer of course.

I'd buy it at that price, and I am a tough sell (for a gamer/nintendo fan).