By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGStockz: General Questions

sethnintendo said:
Ail said:
sethnintendo said:
Should have invested in Netflix like I told ya!! They went up like 3.81 today... Well after looking at the year history of the stock it can't go any lower. They just got hit big after all the stupid bs they tried to do with the jacking prices and splitting the dvd / instant stream service. They wised up on not splitting the shit up after everyone went ape shit. It was a stupid idea though.

Errr ?

Netflix is down 3.65% today...

the stock is however up 69% so far this year and has been one of the best performer on the market but you gotta keep wondering how long this rally will last after the disastrous 2011...( the stock actually was up 73% in january and has been flat/down since)

Oops, yea you are correct.  I was looking at yesterday's numbers apparently.  Today it is -4.5.  Yea, the stock probably won't go too much higher for a little but I have a feeling it will get to high 100s by the end of the year.  If they keep growing customers and making money then I see no reason why not.  They are even developing their studio production to try and match HBO and others..  If they can land some more exclusives then they will be in a perfect spot for growth.  They just announced a new Netflix exclusive series I believe.  I could look it up..

Netflix is down 7% so far today.

The stock raised too much and too fast in January and now it's giving back some of its gains...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:

The stock raised too much and too fast in January and now it's giving back some of its gains...

Yea, must be people taking out for some profits.  Short term investors it seems like.  While short term investing is kind of interesting I would rather do a long term investment myself.    I haven't heard too much news but just did a Google search and saw Comcast is trying to challenge Netflix in streaming.  I don't see any trouble for Netflix just yet but they gotta keep on top of their game or they will end up like Blockbuster.

sethnintendo said:
Ail said:

Yea, must be people taking out for some profits.  Short term investors it seems like.  While short term investing is kind of interesting I would rather do a long term investment myself.    I haven't heard too much news but just did a Google search and saw Comcast is trying to challenge Netflix in streaming.  I don't see any trouble for Netflix just yet but they gotta keep on top of their game or they will end up like Blockbuster.

I woudn't bet long term on Netflix.

The reason is that their streaming catalog is still very poor and it's going to cost them a fortune to increase its size and in the end they won't be able to do that without increasing their prices.

Lets face it, dvd in the mail is not a business that is still growing and video on demand is the future.

And in that market Netflix faces a lot of tough competitors like Comcast, Time Warner, Amazon, itunes and so on...

While the Comcast catalog for example is nowhere as big as the Netflix one, it's quality is a lot better and they actually release the movies 28 days before Netflix...( and the money in rental is in recent releases...)

It is a lot more expensive to watch a movie on Comcast ( 4.99$ per movie) but you get them the day of the release in DVD/Blu Ray and in this day and age of instant gratification that is something a lot of people are ready to pay for...

I used to buy a tonn of DVDs/Blu Ray ( pretty much every movie I wanted to see I purchased them on release week as Best Buy gives a 20% discount that week).

Now I watch 95% of those movies in demand on Comcast and only buy the movies I know I will want to watch several times...

PS : My wife was very big on Netflix and now she gets all her videos from Amazon.( it used to be ITunes but she switched to Amazon and even closed her ITunes account).

Ail said:
sethnintendo said:
Ail said:

I woudn't bet long term on Netflix.

The reason is that their streaming catalog is still very poor and it's going to cost them a fortune to increase its size and in the end they won't be able to do that without increasing their prices.

Lets face it, dvd in the mail is not a business that is still growing and video on demand is the future.

And in that market Netflix faces a lot of tough competitors like Comcast, Time Warner, Amazon, itunes and so on...

While the Comcast catalog for example is nowhere as big as the Netflix one, it's quality is a lot better and they actually release the movies 28 days before Netflix...( and the money in rental is in recent releases...)

It is a lot more expensive to watch a movie on Comcast ( 4.99$ per movie) but you get them the day of the release in DVD/Blu Ray and in this day and age of instant gratification that is something a lot of people are ready to pay for...

I used to buy a tonn of DVDs/Blu Ray ( pretty much every movie I wanted to see I purchased them on release week as Best Buy gives a 20% discount that week).

Now I watch 95% of those movies in demand on Comcast and only buy the movies I know I will want to watch several times...

PS : My wife was very big on Netflix and now she gets all her videos from Amazon.( it used to be ITunes but she switched to Amazon and even closed her ITunes account).

Dont forget ever increasing licensing fees that they have to pay the studios to carry their content.

My ladder update (Feb 22 2012, EOD):

Hey guys, here's my score for today :)

Around the Network

Mmm I was starting to question my little bet on Sprint but thankfully the stock is up 9% today and I am back in the black !

Damn it's up 11% now..

I'm up $18 today! Woooo hooooo! I need to buy some shares other than apple, lol

Sony is rallying too much and too fast. I don't think this is sustainable in the sort term.
The stock is up by more than 20% since the start of February..

I actually read all of that stock information. I know surprised even myself. Anyway looks like corporations are making a crap load of money still.

sheesh Sprint ended the session popping up 13%..........

To think yesterday I was pondering either selling my position or doubling it and I ended up doing nothing because I just don't know enough about Sprint to make an educated decision..

My biggest beef with wireless providers is that fundamentally there is something flawed in their business model in the way they subvention fully Iphone sales and only recoup that money much later. With the way customers are raging about Iphones they should let those same customers bear some of the phone costs. If things were set up this way there actually would be pressure on Apple to lower Iphone prices but right now Apple gets a free ride as most customers are barely aware of the real cost of the phone they are using.........