By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Is the Playstation Vita already doomed?

Is the Vita 'dead on arrival'?

Yes! 323 45.69%

No! 283 40.03%

See results. 100 14.14%

Total:706
RolStoppable said:
Euphoria14 said:

Read above post.

As for the name, it could just be a placeholder name.

It's probably the PSP version finally coming to the West, plus as a download for the PSV, because you can download PSP games on Vita memory cards. 

And that's going to be it. Not much of value for the Vita, because Monster Hunter isn't big in the West. Japan, where it matters, won't get a MH for the Vita for a while, unless Nintendo was ridiculously stupid. If they bought Monster Hunter 4 exclusivity (and they did), then that would be quite worthless if Capcom could still release another MH with a different name on Sony's handheld.

If you don't mind (Since I seem to be out of the loop), where was it confirmed to be exclusive? I have only seen it as "Releasing on 3DS" and not "Releasing Only on 3DS".

Also, if it really was just PSP games listed for Vita wouldn't they list Type-0 and many others? Doesn't add up that they would list (1) PSP title in a big list of upcoming Vita titles because if that were the case they would have taken the opportunity to add more. I believe it to be the PSP remaster found on PS3 in Japan but released on Vita in the west. Easier to get people to buy it again (In Japan) when it is marketed as a graphical upgrade with proper comfortable controls than just a straight PSP download for the Vita.

My money is on the remaster.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Euphoria14 said:

If you don't mind (Since I seem to be out of the loop), where was it confirmed to be exclusive? I have only seen it as "Releasing on 3DS" and not "Releasing Only on 3DS".

Also, if it really was just PSP games listed for Vita wouldn't they list Type-0 and many others? Doesn't add up that they would list (1) PSP title in a big list of upcoming Vita titles because if that were the case they would have taken the opportunity to add more. I believe it to be the PSP remaster found on PS3 in Japan but released on Vita in the west. Easier to get people to buy it again (In Japan) when it is marketed as a graphical upgrade with proper comfortable controls than just a straight PSP download for the Vita.

My money is on the remaster.

Well, a Sony rep was asked about Monster Hunter on the PSV and he said: "You will have to ask Capcom on this." So the very least we should expect is that there won't be a Vita MH title until three months after MH4 releases at the earliest. If it isn't exclusivity, it's at least timed exclusivity, because there's no other reason for Capcom and Sony to hold back on announcements.

As for the list, you'll notice that there's also Ridge Racer Unbounded on it while it should have been the Ridge Racer that actually releases for the Vita. I am also not convinced about Plants vs. Zombies being a Sony Online Entertainment game. In other words, the validity of this list is in doubt.

But regardless of this, whether it is the PSP or PS3 version of MH3P, it's still only a Western release. If a remastered version would be coming for the PSV in Japan where it matters the most, then we would have heard of it by now.

That Monster Hunter quote was from back in September, and it was talking about Monster Hunter 4 I believe, the new report where the Sony guy says to expect Monster Hunter in the coming months was a couple weeks ago and could be in reference to the MH3 listed on the pamphlet. As for MH4 though, my money is on that if it is exclusive at all, expect timed. We all know what happened with MH3. Eventually a portable MH3 made it's way to the PSP, so I see no reason to not expect a different MH4 on the Vita.

Planst Vs Zombies is listed as SOE because it seems they are working together to get it to work properly with the Vita or maybe they are adding exclusive stuff for Vita only.

ttp://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/13/plants-vs-zombies-disco-dances-onto-playstation-vita/

It was originally discovered through a tweet.

http://twitter.com/#!/PlayStation/status/146380330922815488/

Unbounded is a full fledged game while Ridge Racer Vita is more of a demo, with just 5 cars and 3 tracks. If anything it could just be a typo since Unbounded isn't listed for Vita.

However, one typo does not discredit a list where according to many sources the rest of the list looks to be accurate.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

RolStoppable said:
Euphoria14 said:

That Monster Hunter quote was from back in September, and it was talking about Monster Hunter 4 I believe, the new report where the Sony guy says to expect Monster Hunter in the coming months was a couple weeks ago and could be in reference to the MH3 listed on the pamphlet. As for MH4 though, my money is on that if it is exclusive at all, expect timed. We all know what happened with MH3. Eventually a portable MH3 made it's way to the PSP, so I see no reason to not expect a different MH4 on the Vita.

Planst Vs Zombies is listed as SOE because it seems they are working together to get it to work properly with the Vita or maybe they are adding exclusive stuff for Vita only.

ttp://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/13/plants-vs-zombies-disco-dances-onto-playstation-vita/

It was originally discovered through a tweet.

http://twitter.com/#!/PlayStation/status/146380330922815488/

Unbounded is a full fledged game while Ridge Racer Vita is more of a demo, with just 5 cars and 3 tracks. If anything it could just be a typo since Unbounded isn't listed for Vita.

However, one typo does not discredit a list where according to many sources the rest of the list looks to be accurate.

To summarize, assuming that a MH is indeed coming for the Vita, all signs point to it being a remastered version of MHP3 for the PS3 which was a remastered version of MHP3 for the PSP. This is the best case scenario.

The starting point for all of this was a (now banned) member talking about MH for the Vita, but I don't think this is what he had in mind. A slightly altered version isn't reason enough to buy a new system, MH popularity or not. Which is what all this thread is about.

I would hate to think that Monster Hunter is the only reason to buy a handheld in Japan these days.

Although I have yet to really give Monster Hunter a shot.

Currently playing:

I'd certainly recommend MH, preferably Tri (for the online). Good game.

But it's a sad state of affairs when Sony's greatest chance in Japan seems to be a port of a 3rd party game. Sony needs to get a grip and create a 'killer app' for the Vita and stop banking on someone else doing it for them.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

"Not bringing PSP-PSVITA transfer to the US-Sony"

Oh Sony. Yet another HUUUGE mistake there. Now if people have loads of UMD'S you'll have to play them on your PSP it would seem...

Around the Network
Conegamer said:

Oh Sony. Yet another HUUUGE mistake there. Now if people have loads of UMD'S you'll have to play them on your PSP it would seem...

So no backwards compatibility? 

Yay!!!

Well... people consider PS3 a success and it won't earn a profit. In fact, it lost billions!

With logic like that I don't think Vita can fail.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Conegamer said:

it can still play psp digital games, you just dont get the passport program where you get digital copies of the umd games you own for a small price.

on topic

omg, lol at the amount of haters gathered in this thread.

yeah it probably wont sell 3ds numbers but doomed and dead on arrival? that is so ridiculous. the launch lineup might not be very appealing for the japanese market right now but it has a ton of games releasing in the first half of the year and i can see it selling really well in the future.

first time i'll get a system day 1 and i'm sure i wont be disapointed.

i cant help but laugh at some people's "predictions" here, their bias is so obvious

Sony is always doomed, people keep on making this mistake, the same people who said Sony should drop the PS3 back in 2007, the same people who predicted Wii to outsell PS2 and sell more then 200 million are now on predicting teh doomz and gloomz again.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Conegamer said:

It is, you don't don't get your current UMD games for free or a discounted price. You have to buy them again.