By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Is the Playstation Vita already doomed?

Is the Vita 'dead on arrival'?

Yes! 323 45.69%

No! 283 40.03%

See results. 100 14.14%

Total:706

Once a month (or more, if these threads become successful), I shall be taking the month's biggest gaming story/event and putting it up for debate, as well as posting my view on the issue. I shall be asking other people on the site to post their opinion and vote either for or against the thread title, and, after 3 weeks, will be selecting the winning side. 

This month, I take on the impending PSVita launch, and asking whether or not its lukewarm sales in Japan means a much larger issue for the handheld, or if its sales really are nothing to be worried about.

It was always going to be difficult for Sony's new handheld. Everything seemed to be stacked against the Vita right off the bat. Releasing a new handheld which looks incredibly similar to its predecessor nearly 12 months after the sequel to the PSP's greatest rival in a world where social gaming and cheap, 99p mobile games are at the forefront of people's minds seemed to pitch the Vita up against insurmountable odds. Poor 3DS sales in the eyes of many, mostly due to health fears, a high price tag and a lack of variety of games at launch gave people mixed feelings about how Vita would fare. 

On the one hand, the weak 3DS sales could be seen as a positive for the Vita. After all, the reason for the poor sales was down to the reasons above, so if the Vita could release it at the same price as the 3DS, with more features and a better launch lineup would deal a hefty blow to the 3DS, edging momentum to the Vita and moving a lot of 3rd party support, and consumer confidence, to the console and away from the 3DS. 

Conversly, the weak 3DS sales could be viewed as the shift from traditional portable consoles to more mobile games, of which are cheap and easy to get in to. In 2012, is there still a market for a new portable console to launch? Or would the Vita only fall even flatter than the 3DS at launch? Whatever the case may have been, Sony could not repeat the mistakes they made with the PSP this time.

Sadly, it would seem as though they have.

The Vita needed 3 things to be successful: A competitive price, a good games lineup at launch and advertisement. Lots and lots of advertisement. 

It seems to me as though Sony have managed to at least follow through on one of these points; the launch lineup. No-one can deny that the games which shall be released for the Vita at launch are of not only a better quality, but a better variety (for the most part), than those in the first 6 months of the 3DS' life. We have Uncharted. We have Wipeout. And we have plenty of stuff inbetween. That's enough for most people to be content with for at least a month or two, in which time more titles would be released.

The biggest mistake, however, in my eyes, is the price of entry. Here in the UK, the Wi-Fi version will cost £230, £15 more than the 3DS launched at last year. On top of this, Vita memory card (which will range from £19 to £89), which are required to play any game, and also the price of the games themselves (which will fall in line with most HD games at about £40) means that you're looking to fork out about £300 at least for a Vita, a memory card and a game. Compared to the 3DS, which you can likely play nowadays for around £150+ a game, this is a huge mistake.

This is compounded by a lack of any sort of advertisment for the console outside of gaming websites and magazines. I hae yet to see a single advert for the Vita, and very little pushing from retailers (no midnight launches in any Game or Gamestation here in the UK, for example), could easily lead to the average consumer to believe this new console is simply another PSP with an extra analogue stick. A much greater marketing campaign will need to be launched in the UK in order for the Vita to be even slightly competitive at launch.

These issues have been reflected in the Japanese launch. Unless (it would seem) you work as a Sony exec, the sales for the Vita thus far have ranged from lackluster to downright terrible. If being outsold by the 3DS neaely 3:1 at its launch in Japan wasn't bad enough, being outsold nearly 9:1 the following week or two only compounded the issue. Now the Vita seems to have levelled at around 20k, but this will likely drop in the wake of no new software on the horizon. With the 3DS nearer 90k, and with plenty of leggy titles currently doing their rounds (Mario, Monster Hunter), the 3DS certainly has all the momentum in Japan. Sony needs to make sure this doesn't occur in the rest of the world, otherwise there could be a real danger of 3rd party abandonment for the system.

In conclusion, despite what it may seem, I don't believe the Vita is already 'doomed'. If Sony release plenty of heavy hitting games this year, and maybe cut the price of both the console and the memory cards, the Vita will have a chance. However, from what I've seen from Sony currently, this won't happen. I'm sorry Sony, but as things stand, I can only say that the Cita is doomed in my eyes.

__________________________________________________________________________________

What about you? Do you agree? Disagree? Post your thoughts below!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Dead on arrival. I see absolutely nothing that points to a better success than the PSP. I bel ieveit will crawl to 50 million lifetime sales.

"Doomed" how? As in being dropped after a year or two? As in being a total money sink for years like the PS3 was? Really the Vita is looking to be reasonably profitable (not being sold a huge loss and Sony makes back money on memory cards and games). And I really doubt that the Vita is going to be dropped like the Dreamcast was when Sony is a major corporation. They've heavily invested in the product. At the same time, it's not like the Vita was the first system to have a shaky start. The PS3 was in a FAR more dire situation than the Vita was (especially since Sony was losing billions on it), and now it's the best selling home console almost every week.

Not that I think it's going to smash the market or soundly defeat the 3DS or anything, but it's far from being "doomed." I think it will end up being a reasonable success. I mean, geez. At least when people were saying the 3DS was doomed it had actually had a worldwide release. Let the Vita release in more than one country first.

*sigh*

I think it's still too soon to tell how it will fare. The launch line-up in Japan was relatively western-centric, with not really any games suited to the Japanese.

Around the Network

It depends on the US, it'll be DOA in Europe. Other than that overall I think it'll do worse than the PSP did.

BasilZero said:
Slimebeast said:
Dead on arrival. I see absolutely nothing that points to a better success than the PSP. I bel ieveit will crawl to 50 million lifetime sales.

How is it dead if it would go to 50 million lifetime.....

Dead I would say would be similar to N-Gage lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Gage

I certainly ain't sure if 50 million should be seen as a failure but most people would regard 50 million for the Vita as a failure I think because it would always be stuck in the shadow of a +120 million selling 3DS.

I think it will outdo the PSP at least.

BasilZero said:
Slimebeast said:
BasilZero said:
Slimebeast said:

I certainly ain't sure if 50 million should be seen as a failure but most people would regard 50 million for the Vita as a failure I think because it would always be stuck in the shadow of a +120 million selling 3DS.

In terms of competition I suppose that is true, but in terms of profits, I wouldnt consider a failure ;p

But I still say its still too soon to count it out!

Yeah speaking of profits I don't think PSP will make a big if any profit. Soon the device might be dropped to $199 and each hardware could mean a slight loss for Sony and these devices dont sell much software.

Sony hasn't made much profit on anything in gaming in the last 5 years.

BasilZero said:
Slimebeast said:
BasilZero said:
Slimebeast said:
BasilZero said:
Slimebeast said:

In terms of competition I suppose that is true, but in terms of profits, I wouldnt consider a failure ;p

But I still say its still too soon to count it out!

Yeah speaking of profits I don't think PSP will make a big if any profit. Soon the device might be dropped to $199 and each hardware could mean a slight loss for Sony and these devices dont sell much software.

Sony hasn't made much profit on anything in gaming in the last 5 years.

Wait PSP or the Vita o.O?

Yeah I can see that happening, the price cut I mean or maybe infact they might hold it out throughout 2012 with the current price tag and than do a 50 dollar price cut for both models.

Hopefully piracy doesnt affect the vita this time ;p

Oh I meant Vita.

Pirates are cruel, they crack everything.