By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Is the Playstation Vita already doomed?

Is the Vita 'dead on arrival'?

Yes! 323 45.69%

No! 283 40.03%

See results. 100 14.14%

Total:706

Also, just to confirm something:

This is NOT a Sony doom thread. This is just my opinion. I posted mine, and I expected people to post their thoughts as well. No doom here, just opinion. I clearly said it'll be very easy for Sony to turn the situation around. It's just whether they want to or not, invest that amount of money for something that may not turn out as well as they may have hoped.

Of course it's too early to tell. But it doesn't stop people from having opinions.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

50million units is a failure? Poor Super Nintendo.

blkfish92 said:
Conegamer said:
blkfish92 said:
Sparta! Doomed?! MAdness! I say! The Vita has plenty of hope, maybe a Super Bowl commercial??

My point is, though, that Sony so far doesn't seem to be willing to advertise the Vita. 

The Taco Bell thing they're doing is rather awesome I must admit, but I do agree with you a bit, they need to do something better.

I live in the UK, but it's nice to hear they're actually doing something. Seriously, I don't even know whether anywhere on the high street aside from the dedicated game shops are gonna stock the console. They haven't been taking pre-orders for it anyway.

Unfortunately according to VGC forums user law a console is doomed unless it sells a specific amount compared to the other consoles.

This might end up like 3DS all over again. People think they know and talk like they know only to later be shocked when they see just how wrong they were.

Only difference here is that unlike the 3DS, the Vita doesn't get to release worldwide before it is doomed...

You would have thought people would have learned after not only the terrible start for the PS3 but also the terrible start for the 3DS that a bad start does not mean something will continue that pace for the long haul. So many things can happen from now until then. For example you could have another crazy phenomenon occur. just like it did for the PSP with Monster Hunter. Remember that there was once a time the PSP was dead, then went on to sell crazy numbers?

Almost every generation a new game steps up and becomes big time. Why assume now that everything we have now will remain the same and no other games can rise to the ocassion?

I just think all of these "Doomed" conversations are WAYYYY too premature.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

spurgeonryan said:
Euphoria14 said:
Unfortunately according to VGC forums user law a console is doomed unless it sells a specific amount compared to the other consoles.

This might end up like 3DS all over again. People think they know and talk like they know only to later be shocked when they see just how wrong they were.

Only difference here is that unlike the 3DS, the Vita doesn't get to release worldwide before it is doomed...

Feels like 2007.

That is how it works Though. Take movies as an example. If a movie does horrible in the US the news automatically says it has bombed. I am not saying all the time, but a lot of the time. Even though World wide it may have doubled its money. Tin tin would be a good example. Did decent in America, just not enough to cover its massive budget and marketing budget. People base their comments off of first appearances.

Some do not. You do not seem to! Congrats.

As of right now, first appearances show that the Vita has not done well yet. But this just goes on and on. We ..Just...have...to ..wait ..and see..

At least NIS is enjoying the nice PSV sales for Disgaea 3, so it isn't doom and gloom for everyone.

Vita is also launching during tax return season in the US. For example I just did mine today and I will get the money deposited into my account on Feb. 21st. Lots of impulse buys around this time. Well, for me anyways.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Euphoria14 said:

Feels like 2007.

That is how it works Though. Take movies as an example. If a movie does horrible in the US the news automatically says it has bombed. I am not saying all the time, but a lot of the time. Even though World wide it may have doubled its money. Tin tin would be a good example. Did decent in America, just not enough to cover its massive budget and marketing budget. People base their comments off of first appearances.

As of right now, first appearances show that the Vita has not done well yet. But this just goes on and on. We ..Just...have...to ..wait ..and see..

Exactly. And I'll probably do another thread in 4-6 months when it's launched worldwide and see if people's opinions (including my own) has changed. 

People seem to be misreading the title. I said 'IS the PSVita doomed?', not 'The Vita is doomed'. I'm not saying it is, far from it. Just that Sony needs to re-think their plans if they want to either make a profit, outsell the 3DS or both. If it doesn't make money, it's failed. And thus, one can predict this by saying it's doomed to fail, often shortened to doomed. Kinda like L.A Noire. That sold awesomely, but it didn't make enough money and thus forced Team Bondi to close. And yet a game like No More Heroes can sell less than 1/10th of LA Noire, and yet still be called a success. The Vita can sell 500,000 or 5 million or 50 million or 500 million, but if it doesn't make money, it's a failure for the company. Sales are irrelevant. 

Euphoria14 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Euphoria14 said:

Feels like 2007.

At least NIS is enjoying the nice PSV sales for Disgaea 3, so it isn't doom and gloom for everyone.

Vita is also launching during tax return season in the US. For example I just did mine today and I will get the money deposited into my account on Feb. 21st. Lots of impulse buys around this time. Well, for me anyways.

Well, it's alright for some people I suppose

And good for NIS taking the risk and releasing at launch! It can sometimes be the right thing to do. It was the right game.

All it takes is a couple of games to get things started, though, which is what happened with the 3DS over the holiday season.

Too early to say, but it doesn't seem it will be successful in some ways more than one. For me, I'll never buy a Vita no matter how what Sony does(price cut? As if). I just really dislike the company and their products, but others may think differently. Will it be better than the PSP? As far as I can tell, no.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Too early to say, but it doesn't seem it will be successful in some ways more than one. For me, I'll never buy a Vita no matter how what Sony does(price cut? As if). I just really dislike the company and their products, but others may think differently. Will it be better than the PSP? As far as I can tell, no.

I'm not sure whether or not one sale will affect Sony though

However, it must be said that Sony needs to win people over on the Vita, especially with its high entry price (which is too much for a lot of people, only moreso this close to Christmas).