By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Is the Playstation Vita already doomed?

Is the Vita 'dead on arrival'?

Yes! 323 45.69%

No! 283 40.03%

See results. 100 14.14%

Total:706
Conegamer said:
MasterVG71782 said:
Conegamer said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Conegamer said:
"Not bringing PSP-PSVITA transfer to the US-Sony"

Oh Sony. Yet another HUUUGE mistake there. Now if people have loads of UMD'S you'll have to play them on your PSP it would seem...

So no backwards compatibility? 

It is, you don't don't get your current UMD games for free or a discounted price. You have to buy them again.

It sucks for people who have a large UMD collection, but they would hopefully still have their PSP, which means they will still be able to play the games. I don't think there were any games in the PSP -> Vita program that were free, so people would still have to buy them over again (at a discounted price, of course).

I'm lucky, in that I never owned a PSP, so I don't need to worry about any UMDs being wasted. Granted, the problem for me is that not all PSP games I would want to play are on the Store, so I may lose the chance to play some of those.

My biggest issue would be not being able to trade in my PSP for the Vita, like I did with the DSi. 

Well, if I had a large collection of UMD games and a PSP, I'd want to keep them, as I'm not a huge fan of digital downloads (unless it's the only way I can get the game without importing).

Around the Network
rutea7 said:
Salnax said:
rutea7 said:

the launch lineup might not be very appealing for the japanese market right now but it has a ton of games releasing in the first half of the year

Like what?

I'm dead serious. The 3DS had a lot of games coming in its "near future" at launch era, but as the launch ended, those games were either duds or delayed. What does the VIta have to support it?

oh geez are you serious?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games

i counted like 10 games i want off that list, of course i wont be able to get them all this year, some definitly wont release this year outside of japan. but with that list and whatever they show at e3 i'm sure there'll be plenty to play for all tastes. well, maybe not the taste of nintendo fans since there's no mario or zelda =P

Yes, there are a lot of titles, but which of them will sell millions.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
rutea7 said:
Salnax said:
rutea7 said:

the launch lineup might not be very appealing for the japanese market right now but it has a ton of games releasing in the first half of the year

Like what?

I'm dead serious. The 3DS had a lot of games coming in its "near future" at launch era, but as the launch ended, those games were either duds or delayed. What does the VIta have to support it?

oh geez are you serious?

i counted like 10 games i want off that list, of course i wont be able to get them all this year, some definitly wont release this year outside of japan. but with that list and whatever they show at e3 i'm sure there'll be plenty to play for all tastes. well, maybe not the taste of nintendo fans since there's no mario or zelda =P

the ones i think will sell over a million eventually are mostly remakes, there's a lot of new IPs and no way to know how well they'll do. metal gear solid collection and final fantasy X should sell over a million for example. i'm very excited for ZoE cause i never got to play them but i have no idea if it will sell well. uncharted is one game i think will reach a million, from what i tried of the demo it's a very good game and deserves to sell well.

like i said, variety, games that appeal to more than one type of gamer and that freaking gorgeous screen. Vita is far from doomed and saying its doomed will just make you feel silly in the future.

Here are some charts on the Vita's progress so far in Japan.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/02/08/ps-vita-sales-market-share-and-the-3ds/

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

rutea7 said:
Salnax said:
rutea7 said:
Salnax said:
rutea7 said:

Like what?

oh geez are you serious?

the ones i think will sell over a million eventually are mostly remakes, there's a lot of new IPs and no way to know how well they'll do. metal gear solid collection and final fantasy X should sell over a million for example. i'm very excited for ZoE cause i never got to play them but i have no idea if it will sell well. uncharted is one game i think will reach a million, from what i tried of the demo it's a very good game and deserves to sell well.

like i said, variety, games that appeal to more than one type of gamer and that freaking gorgeous screen. Vita is far from doomed and saying its doomed will just make you feel silly in the future.

I don't want to call it doomed. I didn't want to call the 3DS doomed last April either. I guess I'm sort of a general worrywart for new consoles.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

No, and (frankly) I cannot believe how many people voted "Yes". A handheld does not have to beat the 3DS to avoid doomnation.... there's a lot of room between the #1 and doomed.

Salnax said:
rutea7 said:
Salnax said:
rutea7 said:
Salnax said:
rutea7 said:

Like what?

oh geez are you serious?

I don't want to call it doomed. I didn't want to call the 3DS doomed last April either. I guess I'm sort of a general worrywart for new consoles.

it's too soon to worry or be pessimistic about the system, and even though sales are low right now in japan i think the 3ds was a good example of how gamers will buy as soon as what they want to play on the system comes out.

in the 3ds case all it takes is a couple of games in vita's case it might take a few more but i think i prefer it that way. they'll try to appeal more people in order to sell more systems.

if the Vita gets half the amount of jrpgs that the psp got i'll be happy enough, but i see the announced titles pilling up and it looks very promising.

I think it will be if Sony doesn't step up its game. Sony is being too confident, which is very bad. If it isn't neccessarily DOA, it will absolutely be behind the 3DS.

this system will be the first I actually buy at launch. You all need to check this out in person. I wasn't too sure going into Best Buy about pre ordering it but after playing around with it for 10 minutes I made my pre order in an instant. I think word of mouth will really carry this system.

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Pretty sure Nintendo are ahead of you on this one. They're clearly not afraid of taking risks (although I always stand by my belief that they had little choice but to go with the Wii) If they thought they could have another Wii hit on their hands they would have gone the same route, but they know, and I think most other people realise that it just wasn't going to happen a second time around, it's not radically different enough to capture the casuals immagination, it's just never going to get that IT status whoever they target it at. Nintendo are courting third parties because it's a lot safer and a lot more predictable.

I don't know why you're using PS3 losses as an excuse as to why the strategy doesn't work, different company, different mindset.

I wouldn't be surprised to find Nintendo are worried about their future, every year they're going to have to fight that bit harder than they did last gen to keep 3DS relevent, even if you take games out of the equation, people are still choosing iPhones and the likes over dedicated handhelds.

The safest bet argument doesn't fly, because then Nintendo would have launched the 3DS with Super Mario Bros. 3DS, a sequel to the #1 selling game on the DS. The DS game released in 2006 and never got a sequel, so there was more than enough time to get the game ready for the 3DS launch. Releasing a sequel to your biggest IP on the launch day of a new system is the safest bet to get off to a good start. The reality is that Nintendo didn't even have the logo to show for SMB 3DS when they announced it at their last briefing, so everything points to a reaction to poor 3DS sales and the game may have not been made at all, if the 3DS had sold well. Let this sink in for a while: Nintendo would deliberately forego making a sequel to their biggest IP, that's how messed up things have been inside the company in the last couple of years. Would Microsoft stop making Halo? Unthinkable.

I said the strategy is flawed and the PS3 is a good example of why it is. There's a chance that it does work, but if it doesn't, the company is screwed. Sony lost a lot of marketshare, mindshare and profits this generation.

I am pretty sure that Miyamoto is worried about his future, because he can't have his way. But Nintendo, as a company, has all the IPs and talent it takes to keep making dedicated gaming platforms, but their businessmen need to bitchslap their developers more often, because it's very much needed.

even if you take games out of the equation, people are still choosing iPhones and the likes over dedicated handhelds.

This sentence really doesn't make sense, because the only reason why people would choose iPhones and the likes over dedicated handhelds is if you take games out of the equation. A handheld without games is worthless, after all.

There is a huge range of gamers. Some who game because they like to game, at the exclusion of other activity. There are some who game only when there is downtime, IE when on the bus or waiting for something. And then there is the huge spectrum in between. For a great many people their only access to gaming, and the only one they want, is through the one device we all pretty much MUST carry with it, that being the phone.

For every one person who is will to spend the money it takes to buy a dedicated handheld and the expensive (relatively) game purchases that go along with it. I can show you at least two people who would rather just use the phone they already own and buy a cheapo $1.99 game to screw around with for a few hours before they never touch the game ever again.

As these phones get more and more powerful it will become even more true. More and more people will prefer to only have the one device (phone) to do their gaming, especially when these handhelds are not nearly so much more powerful than their phones.

Take gaming out of the equation these people are going to have an iPhone or some other powerful phone. Add gaming back into the equation and the question becomes, since I already have this powerful device why would I go out and buy a 3DS or PSVita.

That's just talking about the casual style gamers. When targeting actual gamers who game just to game, both SONY and Nintendos answer to this can be seen in the design of those respective systems. They've had to further differentiate their devices to make their games exclusive. Dual Screen, 3D, back touch sensitivity, duel analog sticks. Without that differentiation there would be NO reason whatsoever to buy those systems because the iPhone would always be better.

Me I think this is quite possibly the last gen for traditional hand held gaming. At the very least the next playstation portable will be nothing more than software that can get loaded onto suitable powerful phones of which sony happens to sell some. Nintendo has some soul searching to do.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.