By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Is the Playstation Vita already doomed?

Is the Vita 'dead on arrival'?

Yes! 323 45.69%

No! 283 40.03%

See results. 100 14.14%

Total:706
Conegamer said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Conegamer said:
"Not bringing PSP-PSVITA transfer to the US-Sony"

Oh Sony. Yet another HUUUGE mistake there. Now if people have loads of UMD'S you'll have to play them on your PSP it would seem...

So no backwards compatibility? 

It is, you don't don't get your current UMD games for free or a discounted price. You have to buy them again.

It sucks for people who have a large UMD collection, but they would hopefully still have their PSP, which means they will still be able to play the games. I don't think there were any games in the PSP -> Vita program that were free, so people would still have to buy them over again (at a discounted price, of course).

I'm lucky, in that I never owned a PSP, so I don't need to worry about any UMDs being wasted. Granted, the problem for me is that not all PSP games I would want to play are on the Store, so I may lose the chance to play some of those.

Around the Network
MasterVG71782 said:
Conegamer said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Conegamer said:
"Not bringing PSP-PSVITA transfer to the US-Sony"

Oh Sony. Yet another HUUUGE mistake there. Now if people have loads of UMD'S you'll have to play them on your PSP it would seem...

So no backwards compatibility? 

It is, you don't don't get your current UMD games for free or a discounted price. You have to buy them again.

It sucks for people who have a large UMD collection, but they would hopefully still have their PSP, which means they will still be able to play the games. I don't think there were any games in the PSP -> Vita program that were free, so people would still have to buy them over again (at a discounted price, of course).

I'm lucky, in that I never owned a PSP, so I don't need to worry about any UMDs being wasted. Granted, the problem for me is that not all PSP games I would want to play are on the Store, so I may lose the chance to play some of those.

My biggest issue would be not being able to trade in my PSP for the Vita, like I did with the DSi. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

rutea7 said:

the launch lineup might not be very appealing for the japanese market right now but it has a ton of games releasing in the first half of the year

Like what?

I'm dead serious. The 3DS had a lot of games coming in its "near future" at launch era, but as the launch ended, those games were either duds or delayed. What does the VIta have to support it?

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
rutea7 said:

the launch lineup might not be very appealing for the japanese market right now but it has a ton of games releasing in the first half of the year

Like what?

I'm dead serious. The 3DS had a lot of games coming in its "near future" at launch era, but as the launch ended, those games were either duds or delayed. What does the VIta have to support it?

I'm uncertain and would like to know also.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Salnax said:
rutea7 said:

Like what?

oh geez are you serious?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games

i counted like 10 games i want off that list, of course i wont be able to get them all this year, some definitly wont release this year outside of japan. but with that list and whatever they show at e3 i'm sure there'll be plenty to play for all tastes. well, maybe not the taste of nintendo fans since there's no mario or zelda =P

Around the Network

of course as someone said earlier,the day 1 buyers or early adopters are already fans or always going to buy but i talked to the boss of one of my shops in town today and he said they'd had quite a few pre orders for the vita,not sure why i'm surprised the doomers must be getting through,although the start up price is pretty steep with a game and card isn't it

does the vita have no built in memory for games then,can you not play download/psn games without the memory card

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:
of course as someone said earlier,the day 1 buyers or early adopters are already fans or always going to buy but i talked to the boss of one of my shops in town today and he said they'd had quite a few pre orders for the vita,not sure why i'm surprised the doomers must be getting through,although the start up price is pretty steep with a game and card isn't it

does the vita have no built in memory for games then,can you not play download/psn games without the memory card

some games dont require a memory card to get played cause they'll store saves in the game card itself but some will require the card. i believe it's indicated in the game's box. i think it's best to have a card even if its just a 4gb.

rutea7 said:
zuvuyeay said:

some games dont require a memory card to get played cause they'll store saves in the game card itself but some will require the card. i believe it's indicated in the game's box. i think it's best to have a card even if its just a 4gb.

right so you can play some games then,makes some sense,wonder what they are,i'd get everbodys golf because i like the look of that gaem,waiting for a new one on the PS3 but it never seems to come,i can't quite remeber the cost of the 4gb maybe around £12 in the shop i was in earlier maybe more,probably get some good bundles early on for the vita

@rol you are right the little wii fella really is advanced,didn't it have memory in its controller too 

Above & Beyond

Have only read a few posts in this thread and I actually don't bother reading more...
However, just a little suggestion... could we at least wait till Vita has been on the market WW (not just Japan) for a few months? Honestly, I think it's just stupid to call something doomed even before it's released...

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

zuvuyeay said:
rutea7 said:
zuvuyeay said:

right so you can play some games then,makes some sense,wonder what they are,i'd get everbodys golf because i like the look of that gaem,waiting for a new one on the PS3 but it never seems to come,i can't quite remeber the cost of the 4gb maybe around £12 in the shop i was in earlier maybe more,probably get some good bundles early on for the vita

@rol you are right the little wii fella really is advanced,didn't it have memory in its controller too 

i checked amazon and its 14.99 pounds.

the amazon bundle with a free 8gb card seems like the best deal. if the euro wasnt so low now i'd order that one. i need to decide before i buy the pre-order package.