By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Is the Playstation Vita already doomed?

Is the Vita 'dead on arrival'?

Yes! 323 45.69%

No! 283 40.03%

See results. 100 14.14%

Total:706
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Pretty sure Nintendo are ahead of you on this one. They're clearly not afraid of taking risks (although I always stand by my belief that they had little choice but to go with the Wii) If they thought they could have another Wii hit on their hands they would have gone the same route, but they know, and I think most other people realise that it just wasn't going to happen a second time around, it's not radically different enough to capture the casuals immagination, it's just never going to get that IT status whoever they target it at. Nintendo are courting third parties because it's a lot safer and a lot more predictable.

I don't know why you're using PS3 losses as an excuse as to why the strategy doesn't work, different company, different mindset.

I wouldn't be surprised to find Nintendo are worried about their future, every year they're going to have to fight that bit harder than they did last gen to keep 3DS relevent, even if you take games out of the equation, people are still choosing iPhones and the likes over dedicated handhelds.

The safest bet argument doesn't fly, because then Nintendo would have launched the 3DS with Super Mario Bros. 3DS, a sequel to the #1 selling game on the DS. The DS game released in 2006 and never got a sequel, so there was more than enough time to get the game ready for the 3DS launch. Releasing a sequel to your biggest IP on the launch day of a new system is the safest bet to get off to a good start. The reality is that Nintendo didn't even have the logo to show for SMB 3DS when they announced it at their last briefing, so everything points to a reaction to poor 3DS sales and the game may have not been made at all, if the 3DS had sold well. Let this sink in for a while: Nintendo would deliberately forego making a sequel to their biggest IP, that's how messed up things have been inside the company in the last couple of years. Would Microsoft stop making Halo? Unthinkable.

Since when has Nintendo's SW decisions made sense? 1 Zelda this gen? Practically 1 of everything actually. Nintendo don't seem to strategically place their SW no matter what the climate is, they're in their own bubble ...

I said the strategy is flawed and the PS3 is a good example of why it is. There's a chance that it does work, but if it doesn't, the company is screwed. Sony lost a lot of marketshare, mindshare and profits this generation.

Regardless, I said high, not stupidly high. MS is a good example of this.

I am pretty sure that Miyamoto is worried about his future, because he can't have his way. But Nintendo, as a company, has all the IPs and talent it takes to keep making dedicated gaming platforms, but their businessmen need to bitchslap their developers more often, because it's very much needed.

even if you take games out of the equation, people are still choosing iPhones and the likes over dedicated handhelds.

This sentence really doesn't make sense, because the only reason why people would choose iPhones and the likes over dedicated handhelds is if you take games out of the equation. A handheld without games is worthless, after all.

It makes perfect sense, in fact I am actually surprised you disagree with it. Especially with younger folk, the very fact DS was such a hot product it ended up selling to non gamers, or people that had never gamed before, ones that can take it or leave it. Now the only product on their mind is iPhone/iPad. Last gen (or DS's peak period if you like) phones were very limited so much so people had reasoning to carry around 2 portable products, now phones/tablets have evolved so much many people arnt even going to consider a dedicated gaming platform.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
theprof00 said:
Conegamer said:
RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:
Woot! Our gamestation got their first pre-order today!!!

First week projections:

85-95k Europe
100-110k Americas
250-265k overall (not including Japan)

I hope for your sake that this is a projection for only a single store chain and not the entire market.

Not quite. Pre-orders.

Projection for pre-orders?

I'm confused as to whether you're a fan of the Vita or not. You act like you are, but then act like Monster Hunter isn't a sure thing and really lowball the projected first week?

Yep, my projected pre-orders. I reckon closer to 400k FW for actual sales. I'm neutral towards the Vita. On the one hand, I think the console looks amazing and was rather impressed when I tried it in Game. However, I think Sony are handling the launch incredibly poorly (cost, needing memory cards, launch after Christmas, lack of advertisements), and so I don't feel confident of the console's long-term success. Will I get one? Probably, but not at launch. I need more to persuade me at that price. But I certainly like the console.

That or they could be handling it the right way by launching it now. Well, in the US anyways.

I was always under the assumption that launch sales are usually made by those "in the know". So these people have the Vita show up at a perfect time... Tax Time!  Now these people have all year to spread word of mouth, as well as the media, increasing awareness of the device. Of course with other sales coming along the way due to software releases.

Anyways, by the time Christmas comes around there will be much higher consumer awareness of the product than there would have if it launched 3 months ago, plus there is better opportunity for some real good bundles to make the $250 price seem not as bad as it would have if they didn't go this route due to having 6+ months of game releases. Not to mention it also gave plenty of developers time to have their bigger games ready for the Vita's first holiday season. This season might see Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, FFX, Monster Hunter and who knows what else.

Not everything needs to come flying out of the gate as if it has dual rocket boosters strapped to it's back.

Edit - You also asked why people assume Monster Hunter is releasing on Vita? Just check the official Vita pamphlet released by Sony.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Seece said:
Conegamer said:
theprof00 said:
Conegamer said:
RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

First week projections:

85-95k Europe
100-110k Americas

I hope for your sake that this is a projection for only a single store chain and not the entire market.

Not quite. Pre-orders.

I'm confused as to whether you're a fan of the Vita or not. You act like you are, but then act like Monster Hunter isn't a sure thing and really lowball the projected first week?

Yep, my projected pre-orders. I reckon closer to 400k FW for actual sales. I'm neutral towards the Vita. On the one hand, I think the console looks amazing and was rather impressed when I tried it in Game. However, I think Sony are handling the launch incredibly poorly (cost, needing memory cards, launch after Christmas, lack of advertisements), and so I don't feel confident of the console's long-term success. Will I get one? Probably, but not at launch. I need more to persuade me at that price. But I certainly like the console.

Cone I say this in the nicest way possible, you're not neutral to anything non Nintendo, it's plastered all over your post history. That's ok though, wear your Nintendo badge with pride

I don't know how you can project pre orders either, surely that's just random guessing on your part?

I agree they've set it up for a poor start though, the PSP was on life support long before DS was, they should have got it out the gate last christmas WW at the latest.

I'm trying to be impartial here actually. I think I'm improving in that respect! I do own a PS3 and 360 in addition to my Wii and 3DS. I'm looking to get a PSP and a Vita in the future. And yes, my pre-order numbers are just guesses. They were projections based on what game shops in my area reckon, looking at launches of other consoles and how many pre-orders they had for them. I simply increased that number by 50% to get my value for FW sales Still, 400k FW in the West is damn good. I believe the 3DS was around that, no?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Euphoria14 said:
Conegamer said:
theprof00 said:
Conegamer said:
RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

First week projections:

85-95k Europe
100-110k Americas

Not quite. Pre-orders.

That or they could be handling it the right way by launching it now. Well, in the US anyways.

I was always under the assumption that launch sales are usually made by those "in the know". So these people have the Vita show up at a perfect time... Tax Time!  Now these people have all year to spread word of mouth, as well as the media, increasing awareness of the device. Of course with other sales coming along the way due to software releases.

Anyways, by the time Christmas comes around there will be much higher consumer awareness of the product than there would have if it launched 3 months ago, plus there is better opportunity for some real good bundles to make the $250 price seem not as bad as it would have if they didn't go this route due to having 6+ months of game releases. Not to mention it also gave plenty of developers time to have their bigger games ready for the Vita's first holiday season. This season might see Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, FFX, Monster Hunter and who knows what else.

Not everything needs to come flying out of the gate as if it has dual rocket boosters strapped to it's back.

Edit - You also asked why people assume Monster Hunter is releasing on Vita? Just check the official Vita pamphlet released by Sony.

It says Monster Hunter Portable 3. That's the PSP version.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Euphoria14 said: 

I have heard that argument before but this is not a Vita/PSP pamphlet, it is just upcoming Vita releases. Plus we have had multiple sources speaking out about MH coming to Vita this year.

For all you know it could be the PS3 remastered release of MHP3 on the Vita.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Euphoria14 said: 

I have heard that argument before but this is not a Vita/PSP pamphlet, it is just upcoming Vita releases. Plus we have had multiple sources speaking out about MH coming to Vita this year.

Then what's the point of having the PS3 version if they are just going to port it on the Vita? Plus, if that's true, then why keep the same name?

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Euphoria14 said:
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Euphoria14 said: 

So...a re-release of a re-release of a remake of Tri? If I'm not mistaken...

Conegamer said:
Euphoria14 said:
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Euphoria14 said: 

In Japan maybe, but the HD Remaster never made it to the west.

Also, didn't the 3DS just get a re-release of a re-release of a remake of Tri and it did wonders for it? Or was it a remake or a re-release of a remake of Tri?

Currently playing:

Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Euphoria14 said:
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Euphoria14 said: 

Then what's the point of having the PS3 version if they are just going to port it on the Vita? Plus, if that's true, then why keep the same name?

Read above post.

As for the name, it could just be a placeholder name.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
Conegamer said:
Euphoria14 said:
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Euphoria14 said: 

In Japan maybe, but the HD Remaster never made it to the west.

Also, didn't the 3DS just get a re-release of a re-release of a remake of Tri and it did wonders for it? Or was it a remake or a re-release of a remake of Tri?

But the Vita one would be a port of a rerelease of a re-master of a re-release of Tri then Provided it isn't, as Rol and others have said, simply the PSP game...