By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Recommend me a good PS1/PS2 JRPG

Tagged games:

hatmoza said:

oh I just remembered another one of my favorites!

The first RPG released on the PS1. World map, random battles, turn-base, and a good amount of side quests.

Beyond the Beyond. It was my first RPG after FF2 & 3 (U.S). And I must say, it was really enjoyable. The one obvious negative thing about the game was high/frequent random battles in some dungeons.

It is pretty cliche but you do have a pet Dragon xD

I heard good things about the game.

I put some thought into it, and well there are a lot of great PS1 and PS2 games out there. Going to hope for the best come summer, come garage sales.

Also, after seeing the prices some of these games sell for, I've decided to start collecting rare new games in order to sell at a profit. Radiata Stories sells for $35 new at EB (with some locations near me in stock) and on Ebay it's already selling for $65. I'd imagine Vanquish and Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 2 will do the same, except I can't Vanquish new at EB.

Decided this when I noticed many of my "complete" N64/GCN/GBC/DC games are worth $60 or more and I probably paid $20 for them. Many of my games, had I owned new, are worth well over $100.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Grandia 3. I saw the opening moments ago, and I was hit with such a nostalgia...

That's an impressive list of games already. I would add Rogue Galaxy for the PS2, Odin Sphere for the PS2 and Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn.

Skipped all the way through the thread to type this -

Suikoden and Suikoden 2 are the best JRPGs on the PlayStation. By far. No competition, even Final Fantasy IX is quite small in comparison to the greatness that is Suikoden 2.

Carl2291 said:

Suikoden and Suikoden 2 are the best JRPGs on the PlayStation. By far. No competition, even Final Fantasy IX is quite small in comparison to the greatness that is Suikoden 2.

Well Final Fantasy IX is bad so not much competition for Suikoden 2.

Around the Network

Tridrakious, you have no soul.

IX is the best Final Fantasy. The best work to come out of Square Enix.

You're right, I don't have a soul, but that doesn't change my opinion of IX being a train wreck. Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VIII for the WIN!

Soriku said:

If you're a JRPG fan and haven't played Persona 4...what are you waiting for? Excellent story, characters, gameplay, music, voice acting, etc. Even reviewers agree: it has a 90% on Metacritic. It doesn't get much better than this on PS1/PS2.

I don't think it's my style of JRPG. I'm not a huge fan of the modern art style of JRPG's (Didn't like the World Ends With You, or Disgaea).

Got a good list now, slowing working through them. Never got too into PS1 and PS2 JRPG's and it's a shame because they make up a huge portion of the market.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Carl2291 said:

Are they significantly better then Suikoden 3-5? I have 3 and 4, and Teikerias or whatever for the DS. Probably going to play Teikerias first as I still play my DS often where PS2/PS1 I have to be in the mood to start and finish 1 JRPG at a time.

Carl2291 said:
Tridrakious, you have no soul.

IX is the best Final Fantasy. The best work to come out of Square Enix.

TAKE THAT BACK! Never call Squaresoft that name!