By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Recommend me a good PS1/PS2 JRPG

Tagged games:

Michael-5 said:
MrT-Tar said:

Grandia. I can't speak for the sequels as I haven't played them, but the PSX port of the original is fantastic and one of my favourite RPGs of all time. I love everything about the game apart from the shitty as hell English Voice Acting.  The battle system is quite possibly the best I've every played in an RPG as well, it's quite similar to the ATB if you needed further convincing.

ATB?

Sega Saturn is the first system going back which I don't have, so I want to complete my collection, well for every Sega, Sony, and Nintendo platform except the Saturn. Games for that system are expensive, and I'm only interested in 2-3 titles. I will likely get Grandia for PS1.

Active Time Battle System - the battle system used in Final Fantasies IV-IX, Chrono Trigger and a slight varient used in Xenogears.  As you'll see in the embedded video, the Grandia system is very similar:

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
hatmoza said:
Michael-5 said:

I already own Chrono Cross, XenoGears and Final Fantasy IX, but plan to work on it. Other games I am looking at buying include The Legend of Dragoon (PS1), Dragon Quest VIII (PS2), Drakengard (PS2), Front Mission 3 (PS1) and ICO (not a JRPG, but still excellent).

*hugz*

Alundra 2 is an Action RPG Puzzle game. A hidden gem from PS1 era. I couldn't think of anything else since a poster above made a list of pretty much every RPG in existence.

Yea, It's hard to find a decent review on this game, and it's nice to have a none Square JRPG on my list. Looks a lot like Golden Sun and Disgaea. Can you tell me anything else about it?

Like Chrono Cross, Alundra 2's biggest sin is that it is a sequel to the beloved Alundra. The only error in Alundra 2 is that it has Alundra in its name. After reading a couple reviews, I think this  http://psx.ign.com/articles/163/163020p1.html is one of the more fair reviews because it gives you a good run-dun of what the game is. I don't agree with the score ... it is IGN afterall.

Now go play Chrono Cross!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:
Michael-5 said:
hatmoza said:
Michael-5 said:

I already own Chrono Cross, XenoGears and Final Fantasy IX, but plan to work on it. Other games I am looking at buying include The Legend of Dragoon (PS1), Dragon Quest VIII (PS2), Drakengard (PS2), Front Mission 3 (PS1) and ICO (not a JRPG, but still excellent).

*hugz*

Alundra 2 is an Action RPG Puzzle game. A hidden gem from PS1 era. I couldn't think of anything else since a poster above made a list of pretty much every RPG in existence.

Yea, It's hard to find a decent review on this game, and it's nice to have a none Square JRPG on my list. Looks a lot like Golden Sun and Disgaea. Can you tell me anything else about it?

Like Chrono Cross, Alundra 2's biggest sin is that it is a sequel to the beloved Alundra. The only error in Alundra 2 is that it has Alundra in its name. After reading a couple reviews, I think this  http://psx.ign.com/articles/163/163020p1.html is one of the more fair reviews because it gives you a good run-dun of what the game is. I don't agree with the score ... it is IGN afterall.

Now go play Chrono Cross!

I will soon. My PS2 (which kind of works, but not really) doesn't play CD based games, or PS1 games anymore, so I am going to have to wait to borrow a friends PS2. Should get it by this week.

wait.....why not just get Alundra? It's also a PSX game.

P.S. Catherine is awesome, but the decisions are too black and white.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Kingdom hearts I and II and even Chain of memories remake on the PS2 if you can find it. Don't be put off by the card like mechanics, it works very well.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

MrT-Tar said:
Michael-5 said:
MrT-Tar said:

Grandia. I can't speak for the sequels as I haven't played them, but the PSX port of the original is fantastic and one of my favourite RPGs of all time. I love everything about the game apart from the shitty as hell English Voice Acting.  The battle system is quite possibly the best I've every played in an RPG as well, it's quite similar to the ATB if you needed further convincing.

ATB?

Sega Saturn is the first system going back which I don't have, so I want to complete my collection, well for every Sega, Sony, and Nintendo platform except the Saturn. Games for that system are expensive, and I'm only interested in 2-3 titles. I will likely get Grandia for PS1.

Active Time Battle System - the battle system used in Final Fantasies IV-IX, Chrono Trigger and a slight varient used in Xenogears.  As you'll see in the embedded video, the Grandia system is very similar:

That took waaaaaay too freaking long for a simple fight :/

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:
Michael-5 said:
MrT-Tar said:

ATB?

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

Yea I love ATB games, but a good turn based JRPG isn't bad either. Can you recommend me any other great ATB games? Grandia just jumped up my list like crazy

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Boutros said:
And beware of DQVIII. I loooved that game but it's very very retro. It took me by surprise at first and I didn't like it but I tried it again another time with more accurate expectations and it was amazing.

I actually want it because I love how it plays. I got the demo a long time ago, which lets you play the first hour of the game, and....damn it took me by surprise too. I liked it more then any Final Fantasy, so I know what I'm getting into. I'll think about Dark Cloud, but should I get 1 before 2?

Also have you played Dragon Warrior VII for PS1? Is it similar to VIII?

There's way to many to list. Try Brave Fencer Musashi as well though. There are well over 100 great JPRG for the PS1 and PS2. It will take you a lifetime to play them all.

'gaming till I'm gone'

BasilZero said:
Michael-5 said:

I can easily make a list too, and I already have one which has some of those games...

I think my taste in JRPG's is very different then yours. I really dislike Kingdom Hearts and Odin Sphere. I also don't think Persona is my type of game.

Ah more traditional RPG than action RPG?

Than I recommend getting Xenosaga Episode series for the PS2 and the Breath of Fire series for the PS1 (the ps2 version has a different genre).

I like a more traditional plot, not into the new era style JRPGs like The World Ends With you and Persona. However I like both classic and traditional gameplay, it all depends on the quality of the story to me. e.g. Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger are my two favorite JRPGs. 1 is turn based, the other is active battle. I still like Tales of .... though, being action JRPG's.

I think I'll try Xenosaga, I have Episode 1 and 2, but greatest hits so I am going to try to get a nicer set to put on my wall lol.

All this because I bought a shelf from IKEA and now I can see all my games.

For me...

Grandia (maybe the JRPG I ever played... together with FFIV)
Xenogears