By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Why does most music made after ~2000 suck?

Do you believe the music industry has gone downhill during the 2000s?

Yes 79 69.91%

No 29 25.66%

Maybe 5 4.42%

Total:113

There is so much music out there nowadays, being produced at a rate that just keeps growing. The down side is that it's really hard to find the best music and bands to look out for, but if you can find them, there is plenty of amazing music in any genre, including genres you probably have never heard.

Around the Network
Crystalchild said:

yeah, i guess you look at the wrong places. there is impressive music still to be found even in 20XX.
what kind/Genre of music do you like/Dislike?

I mainly stick to classic rock, rock, reggae and alternative now since the rap scene has died since 2Pac era and Pimp C was the last notable rapper to die.

Pink Floyd, Butthole Surfers, Pearl Jam, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, Beck, The Beatles, Tool, Bob Marley, Eek-a-mouse, Black Uhuru, Toots and The Maytals, Half Pint, Weezer, Led Zeppelin, Cypress Hill, 2Pac, UGK, Jethro Tull, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice in Chains, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Live, Soundgarden, Sublime, The Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails, , Eazy E, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, The Righteous Brothers, The Doors, etc  (highlighted ones are the types of music I prefer the most)

I just copied and pasted most of the bands I listed in my profile.  What I really want is something that sounds like classic rock.  It just seemed that classic rock songs actually flowed nice and sounded nice than the mess we have now.

Yeah its not as good but at least there's some:

- Rise Against
- Linkin Park
- Pearl Jam
- Foo Fighters (Thank God Cobain killed himself so Grohl could go make this amazing band!)
- Blink 182
- Airbourne
- Cage The Elephant
- JET
- A Day To Remember
- Lupe Fiasco (best rapper of today)
- Mumford and Sons

But yeah I do agree the best music was pre 2000...I'd even say pre 1990. Boston, The Clash, Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Tragically Hip, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc.

Marks said:
Yeah its not as good but at least there's some:

- Rise Against
- Linkin Park
- Pearl Jam
- Foo Fighters (Thank God Cobain killed himself so Grohl could go make this amazing band!)
- Blink 182
- Airbourne
- Cage The Elephant
- JET
- A Day To Remember
- Lupe Fiasco (best rapper of today)
- Mumford and Sons

But yeah I do agree the best music was pre 2000...I'd even say pre 1990. Boston, The Clash, Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Tragically Hip, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc.

Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Blink 182, Linkin Park are all from the 90s...  While they are making music still they probably aren't on the top of their game.  I enjoyed Foo Fighters first 2 cds but it seems like they even went down hill.  Most bands from the 90s (311, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc..) went soft and I am not talking about the good soft which is in a lot of classic rock (basically most bands from the 90s that are still around have shown a drop in their quality).

coolbeans said:
You have a point for most hip-hop/rap of the 2000's+. I'd say most great songs of today require you to dive into "the indie scene", which wasn't like that in past generations.

to be honest its because all of us even if our tastes were different we all watched tv back then, indie, oldies , pop, punk, girly, teen, world.....ect ect , they all had their fair share of airing, but now everyone is using the internet differently so the only thing on tv is captalism stuff, most of it , is just companies trying to advertize stuff, "Selling out" means a lot more nowadays than it did a couple of years ago.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
coolbeans said:
You have a point for most hip-hop/rap of the 2000's+. I'd say most great songs of today require you to dive into "the indie scene", which wasn't like that in past generations.

I suppose you guys are right.  The mainstream scene is just terrible now and perhaps I have to dive deeper to find someone new that I would enjoy.  I live in Austin, TX so if I do listen to radio stations I usually listen to 93.7 (classic rock) and 101.5 (classic/alternative music).  Most of the new rock songs they play on 101.5 makes me want to immediately change it to 93.7.  This from a rock station this is independently run and supposed to play rock even the indie scene.  Austin is a pretty big center for music right now so I just assumed the rock 101X plays was the best the mainstream/indie scene had to offer.  I'd have to say rock has taken just a big of a hit in quality as rap has.

I feel ya. A lot of crap on the radio that sucks But here are some new bands you can check out or even may have heard of .  If you want me to update, I can. I went throught the same stage as you. I had to look for new sh-t and I found some good bands. I can't stand most rap and most new commercial music is crap.

Theres a new Alice Cooper song out that reminds me of the good oldies. The track name is Hello Hooray!

Foster the people - Helena beat

The kooks - Ooh La.

Florence and the machine- howl

MGMT - Time to Pretend

Pheonix - 1901

Empire of the sun - Walking on a dreams

Silversun Pickups - Panic Switch ( this has been on the radio but good).

The XX - Islands

Pin Back - Good to sea

THese bands have other songs that are good but I just put up ones that I pulled up on my phone .  Hope I  can help. I run a produciton company and listen to a lot of house. So if you want some of that I can put it up.

While I agree that it seems that the quality has droped, I think is just the cheer amount of music produced and made avaible, wich makes the industry focus on the common denominator, wich is usually of poor quality and comercial.
BTW, is not that music is produced for youngsters, cause that was the case since Elvis and chuck berry, is just that the ideals and goals in life are different nowdays. thats my two cents.

Ah, Seth has an amzing taste IMO, congrats, cause you pratically posted my fav bands, starting with Floyd.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

The best Rock song  in the last 15 Years comes from Lady Gaga.

Haters gonna hate.

i'm more tempted to say you just have horrible taste in music. There have been plenty of great songs from the 2000s that I have loved

Most music sucked before the 2000s as well. Most things just suck.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)