By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

RolStoppable said:
non-gravity said:
50 - Beyond Good and Evil (pc)

I played this last year and had put in on my list. I'm not sure exactly what was so especially good about it anymore.

It's the polar opposite of Call of Duty.

CoD is hated for its popularity and BG&E is loved for its lack of popularity. There are quite a lot of games that aren't anything special, but get praised because they were overlooked.

Interesting point.

I'm thinking their popularity may also have to do with their uniqueness. I'm instantly reminded of Psychonauts and Brutal Legend that are certainly unique, but imo lack in the gameplay department.

Around the Network

50. Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)

The first game on my list is probably one of the most hated FF games in videogame history. FFX-2 had an intersting story, great gameplay and in my opinion a better battlesystem than FFX. However, overall X-2 wasn't nearly as good as X, but it deserves to be in my Top 50.

(By the way, this is my fifth favourite FF game, so there are 4 more to come.)

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

RolStoppable said:
snfr said:

FFX-2 is mostly hated, because the entire party consists of females. Hardcore gamers can't get around to play as girls, they want masculine lead characters like Cloud, Squall and Tidus.

I wouldn't really call Tidus masculine (although I'm not sure anyway if you were serious about that ).

A better reason to hate it would be that it feels like a Japanese pop game from time to time^^

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

50. New Super Mario Bros Wii

Super Mario Bros was my first game. I grew up on 2D Mario, and was obviously disappointed at going so long without a new entry to the series, but then Nintendo brought it back on the DS in 2006. That DS game doesn't make my top 50 (it's not far outside it though), but the Wii game does. Playing this game brought back memories of sitting on the floor in front of the TV as a child, with the NES pad in my hand and playing through the originals. It always had that 'just one more level' appeal, and NSMBWii does a great job of replicating that feeling. I could sit down with the intent of just playing a quick couple of levels, and the next thing I know I've played through a couple of Worlds instead. If I'm honest with myself though, it isn't quite as good as the originals, which is why this is here in 50th place rather than further up my list.

VGChartz

RolStoppable said:
snfr said:

I wouldn't really call Tidus masculine (although I'm not sure anyway if you were serious about that ).

A better reason to hate it would be that it feels like a Japanese pop game from time to time^^

Yeah, I was joking about that.

Regardless, the complaints I've heard regarding FFX-2 over the years are usually about girlishness. The characters dressing up in different customes (even though that's just a straight evolution of the FFIII and FFV job systems) or acting like girls (even though they are girls). The story not taking itself seriously was apparently another issue and the funky J-Pop only made it worse. Games are supposed to be serious business and anything that reminds one of simple and stupid fun breaks the immersion.

I guess you listed almost every complaint about FFX-2. And to be honest, I understand why people don't like most of it. However, I still liked it very much although or even because it had some weird elements.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
snfr said:

The first game on my list is probably one of the most hated FF games in videogame history. FFX-2 had an intersting story, great gameplay and in my opinion a better battlesystem than FFX. However, overall X-2 wasn't nearly as good as X, but it deserves to be in my Top 50.

(By the way, this is my fifth favourite FF game, so there are 4 more to come.)

FFX-2 is mostly hated, because the entire party consists of females. Hardcore gamers can't get around to play as girls, they want masculine lead characters like Cloud, Squall and Tidus.

win

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Honestly? i enjoyed Final Fantasy X-2 a lot! The only real problem was the silliness of the plot, other than that it was awesome.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

milkyjoe said:

50. New Super Mario Bros Wii

Random Fact of the day: I talk like Luigi every time I play this game. Seriously.

LUIGI TIME!

50. Eduardo The Samurai Toaster (WiiWare)

This simple run and gun, stars Eduardo a samurai toaster who runs around and shoots everything in sight. The art Style changes every level, and collecting different pop-tarts gives you more powerful attacks. There's no plot, but nothing is more exciting than 4 samurai toasters blasting away at various food villains.

Warrior of Light #66

"I'm not illiterate, my parents were married!"

3DS FC: 2878 9589 2016

Wildvine53 said:
50. Eduardo The Samurai Toaster (WiiWare)

This simple run and gun, stars Eduardo a samurai toaster who runs around and shoots everything in sight. The art Style changes every level, and collecting different pop-tarts gives you more powerful attacks. There's no plot, but nothing is more exciting than 4 samurai toasters blasting away at various food villains.

bwhaha, great name.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?