By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which fanbase will act the craziest...

I recall Gerstmann and the 8.8 incident, but as Kantor indicated, Nintendo fans by this point in the generation are mostly nonchalant about Nintendo games getting screwed over at the review page (though that still isn't an issue with their big first party stuff), while Sony fans expect higher scores for first party games, and are used to having the media on their side

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Xen said:
lestatdark said:
Xen said:
lestatdark said:
Xen said:
lestatdark said:
Xen said:

If one can still call himself a Final Fantasy fan after XIII, then he will be raving with XIII-2 (aka not me) ;)
To answer your question - easily 2. And not just them, but the Sony fanbase on a majority basis.

How does one game suddendly destroys everything for a Final Fantasy fan? Suddendly, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VII dropped in quality or stopped being good games because FFXIII was a bad one? I'm proud to call myself a Final Fantasy fan, even though it's far from being my favourite RPG series and I will continue to enjoy FF games whenever they are of good quality.

Edit - I'm sorry if your intent wasn't on dissing the entire Final Fantasy legacy, but it came out across as that.

I still love the Final Fantasy games that I always loved. Most of the ones on your list, that is. However, I can not call myself a fan of FF anymore, as I'm beyond being giddy for a new FF being announced or a trailer being shown or preordering the game - all because I think FF13 is unholy trash and the biggest gaming disappointment of my life. Many share the first part of my feelings (trash), and many think that FF is on the ropes these days, as it, in my eyes, went from a franchise that you could buy without hearing any opinions or reading reviews (or as much as seeing footage), to a hit-or-miss affair, mostly miss. I will enjoy the good ones as well. I will just treat the series with extreme caution from now on. Extreme.

You know me and you know I know better than to trash the legacy of the whole series. But SE is doing it in my stead, and it's an endangered legacy.

I know you Xen and that's why your comment struck me as odd. I know a lot of people were utterly dissapointed with FFXIII. I myself, in retrospective didn't enjoy it as I used to enjoy a FF game especially because for a long stretch it didn't feel like a FF game. 

But those kind of feelings are not new. FFVIII suffered a massive fan rage because of the lofty expectations that FFVII had created and for many it signalled a downward path for the series and then FFIX came along. FFX also suffered quite a bit of rage because it departed from established mechanics that every FF seemed to have set in stone, like the absence of a world map and the actual beginning of the linear gameplay that FFXIII is very loathed for (plus it spawned FFX-II), and then FFXII came along, which is not only the highest rated FF game, it's also the return of the series's amazing story and plot from FFIV/V/VI days (and it could have been much better, had they stuck with Basch as the main character). 

What I'm saying is, the FF series, in the past 15 years has suffered these repeating cycles of rage/percieved or actual bad quality and then they pull off a much better game and the series looks to be back on track. 

Endangered legacy, being on the ropes, getting stale, every kind of adjective you could find, has been repeated over and over again for the past decade and a half, just as much as The Fantasy is back, a true RPG marvel and so on. 

One game should not be used as the sole judging stick for an entire series, especially not one that has proven that there's trully no two similar games in it's entire legacy. If FF continues to do poorly and the series continues in a long streak of bad games (as in FFXIV and FFXV being as bad or worse than FFXIII) then your words will be completly true, but if FFXIV manages to bring back the quality we expect from a FF game, then the cycle will repeat itself again.

I hope for it - but I absolutely don't count on it. vXIII (I can hate on KH's story, but Nomura can make games, and make them extremely well) and, to a lesser extent, Type-0, in my eyes, are its last hope(s) - XIV is terribad, as you know, and XV is far far away. A rapid descent in quality has been pretty much the trademark of SE's games on consoles this gen - and I don't expect that to change anytime soon, as they're still very intent on shoving more of FFXIII into the mix.

I admit you're a better man than I am, though ;)

Let me make a correction, my previous statements should be FFXV and FFXVI, I forgot that FFXIV has already been released in the form of a MMORPG and I don't count it as a true part of the series (on par with FFXI) since it's a whole different genre (that would be like saying WoW is the continuation of Warcraft III and part of the series). 

I agree with you, the grand majority of their console releases have been poor quality, the only quality game has been The Last Remnant which unfortunately was smeared with a lot of technical issues. In counterpart, their handheld run this gen has been on par with the quality of previous gen console games. The perceived descent of quality in the home console department is probably due to some poor decisions made by the executive staff, mainly the president Wada, which to be fair, hasn't had a lot of good decisions. 

If they can learn from this generation and apply the same amount of quality on the home console department as they have done on the handheld department, then I can see their good games coming back. They have the skills and human resources to do it, it's just a matter of applying them correctly. 

Their handheld efforts have been brilliant - from CCFFVII to Type-0 (demo's great!)... they should get some of those guys to work on the home consoles.

TLR is kinda to be expected - wasn't it made by the team behind SaGa?

Indeed, most of the head designers were part of the SaGa team, though their efforts were mostly focused on creating a battle system that distinguished itself from any other brands in the S-E lineup. Their downfall was the use of a licensed engine instead of creating their own engine, again due to poor cost cutting decisions.

I agree with you, and if they're clever they'll see that the greatest quality in the company nowadays lies in the handheld teams (and Nomura as well). The problem is avoiding the poor decisions they have had in regard on how to handle the creation of a console game and unfortunately that is only bound to change if either Wada leaves the company, the teams start forcing their ideas instead of having to go from the guidelines that are handled to them or they stop creating a large amount of games at the same time (which would be the most wise move IMO).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Anyone remember the shitstorm after Gamespot gave Twilight Princess and 8.8? That was actually scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

lestatdark said:
Xen said:
lestatdark said:
Xen said:
lestatdark said:
Xen said:
lestatdark said:
Xen said:

If one can still call himself a Final Fantasy fan after XIII, then he will be raving with XIII-2 (aka not me) ;)
To answer your question - easily 2. And not just them, but the Sony fanbase on a majority basis.

How does one game suddendly destroys everything for a Final Fantasy fan? Suddendly, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VII dropped in quality or stopped being good games because FFXIII was a bad one? I'm proud to call myself a Final Fantasy fan, even though it's far from being my favourite RPG series and I will continue to enjoy FF games whenever they are of good quality.

Edit - I'm sorry if your intent wasn't on dissing the entire Final Fantasy legacy, but it came out across as that.

I still love the Final Fantasy games that I always loved. Most of the ones on your list, that is. However, I can not call myself a fan of FF anymore, as I'm beyond being giddy for a new FF being announced or a trailer being shown or preordering the game - all because I think FF13 is unholy trash and the biggest gaming disappointment of my life. Many share the first part of my feelings (trash), and many think that FF is on the ropes these days, as it, in my eyes, went from a franchise that you could buy without hearing any opinions or reading reviews (or as much as seeing footage), to a hit-or-miss affair, mostly miss. I will enjoy the good ones as well. I will just treat the series with extreme caution from now on. Extreme.

You know me and you know I know better than to trash the legacy of the whole series. But SE is doing it in my stead, and it's an endangered legacy.

I know you Xen and that's why your comment struck me as odd. I know a lot of people were utterly dissapointed with FFXIII. I myself, in retrospective didn't enjoy it as I used to enjoy a FF game especially because for a long stretch it didn't feel like a FF game. 

But those kind of feelings are not new. FFVIII suffered a massive fan rage because of the lofty expectations that FFVII had created and for many it signalled a downward path for the series and then FFIX came along. FFX also suffered quite a bit of rage because it departed from established mechanics that every FF seemed to have set in stone, like the absence of a world map and the actual beginning of the linear gameplay that FFXIII is very loathed for (plus it spawned FFX-II), and then FFXII came along, which is not only the highest rated FF game, it's also the return of the series's amazing story and plot from FFIV/V/VI days (and it could have been much better, had they stuck with Basch as the main character). 

What I'm saying is, the FF series, in the past 15 years has suffered these repeating cycles of rage/percieved or actual bad quality and then they pull off a much better game and the series looks to be back on track. 

Endangered legacy, being on the ropes, getting stale, every kind of adjective you could find, has been repeated over and over again for the past decade and a half, just as much as The Fantasy is back, a true RPG marvel and so on. 

One game should not be used as the sole judging stick for an entire series, especially not one that has proven that there's trully no two similar games in it's entire legacy. If FF continues to do poorly and the series continues in a long streak of bad games (as in FFXIV and FFXV being as bad or worse than FFXIII) then your words will be completly true, but if FFXIV manages to bring back the quality we expect from a FF game, then the cycle will repeat itself again.

I hope for it - but I absolutely don't count on it. vXIII (I can hate on KH's story, but Nomura can make games, and make them extremely well) and, to a lesser extent, Type-0, in my eyes, are its last hope(s) - XIV is terribad, as you know, and XV is far far away. A rapid descent in quality has been pretty much the trademark of SE's games on consoles this gen - and I don't expect that to change anytime soon, as they're still very intent on shoving more of FFXIII into the mix.

I admit you're a better man than I am, though ;)

Let me make a correction, my previous statements should be FFXV and FFXVI, I forgot that FFXIV has already been released in the form of a MMORPG and I don't count it as a true part of the series (on par with FFXI) since it's a whole different genre (that would be like saying WoW is the continuation of Warcraft III and part of the series). 

I agree with you, the grand majority of their console releases have been poor quality, the only quality game has been The Last Remnant which unfortunately was smeared with a lot of technical issues. In counterpart, their handheld run this gen has been on par with the quality of previous gen console games. The perceived descent of quality in the home console department is probably due to some poor decisions made by the executive staff, mainly the president Wada, which to be fair, hasn't had a lot of good decisions. 

If they can learn from this generation and apply the same amount of quality on the home console department as they have done on the handheld department, then I can see their good games coming back. They have the skills and human resources to do it, it's just a matter of applying them correctly. 

Their handheld efforts have been brilliant - from CCFFVII to Type-0 (demo's great!)... they should get some of those guys to work on the home consoles.

TLR is kinda to be expected - wasn't it made by the team behind SaGa?

Indeed, most of the head designers were part of the SaGa team, though their efforts were mostly focused on creating a battle system that distinguished itself from any other brands in the S-E lineup. Their downfall was the use of a licensed engine instead of creating their own engine, again due to poor cost cutting decisions.

I agree with you, and if they're clever they'll see that the greatest quality in the company nowadays lies in the handheld teams (and Nomura as well). The problem is avoiding the poor decisions they have had in regard on how to handle the creation of a console game and unfortunately that is only bound to change if either Wada leaves the company, the teams start forcing their ideas instead of having to go from the guidelines that are handled to them or they stop creating a large amount of games at the same time (which would be the most wise move IMO).

Either way they go, my current approach to SE is "we'll wait, and wait, and wait, and see" :P (inline with your toomuchgamesat1time statement)

Let's hope for changes.

Sony/Uncharted fans will probably blame IGN for being so 360 fanboys, and blame Microsoft for moneyhatting every reviewer, might joke about it afterwards, since they got used to the media backlash, but it won't be that big.

Nintendo/Zelda fans.... oh jeez wizz , it will become another case of Metroid Other M, "Ignore Flying Dragons , Obey Gravity! " and lots of blood sweat and tears will be spelt, over nothing, and then comes acts of Betrayal and blaming Nintendo Of America because they don't want to release Xenoblade and/ or one of the directors from the game and/or burn Reggie's pictures.

Final Fantasy fans are dead, they won't feel a thing.

Around the Network
Badassbab said:
If UC3 get's an 8....then I will eat a giant sea worm. But yeah, Sony fans have been the biggest moaners this gen due to being in third place (even though they have the best console imo). PS3 exclusives like IF2, KC3, R3, M:A, GT5, SOCOM 4, Y4...are all less the 90 or 80 on Meta. UC3 needs to be a solid 90%+ like LPB2 but more so.

Edge will give UC3 an 8, maybe even a 7, because it won't be as big a difference as there was between US:DF and UC2. I expect UC3 to meta at about 91 or 92.

Zelda games have review armour.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

the poll thing should be right there in the middle. go to edit thread on the top left corner you can still put it in.

zelda fans regardless of wht happens, then UC3 fans if any review is below a 8(msn gave GEARS3 and R3 a 7/10), and FFXIII-II if it sucks like the first.

Ninty fans if wii doesn't have more then one million selling wk, 360 fans if PS3 beats it WW this holiday season, and PS3 fans no matter wht.

just covering everything in one thread before he other threads asking this question about something else pop's up.

It rather depends from witch magazine/site.

I would say either the Zelda fans or the FF fans; probably the FF fans because the Zelda fans will be too busy playing Skyward Sword to complain about the review :P

Yeah FF fans (me).

Watch out come FFXIII-2. I'll be mad.