By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide UP - August 27, 2011

Michael-5 said:
postofficebuddy said:
Michael-5 said:
LivingMetal said:

Actually,the PS3 sold better than the Xbox 360 worldwide during the 2009 holiday season.  And IIRC it also outsold the Xbox 360 last holiday season but just barely after adjustments on this site regardless of the Xbox 360's strong US demograph.

What does IIRC mean?

No the PS3 did not outsell the 360 last holiday season, check again. 360 was adjusted down, but it still sold something like 30% better.

2009 was the one exception. PS3 had an incredibly strong fall due to the Slim PS3 and price cut. Sony brought down the 360/PS3 gap from 8.1 to 4 million with this move. Very smart buisness strategy, and because of this I have to say 360 typically outsells PS3 during the holidays, instead of always.

PS3 outsold 360 during holiday 2007 as well. And 360 had gotten a price cut that year. IIRC means 'If I recall correctly'.

Well I'll be damned. I assumed the year of Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Bioshock was the holiday 360 won. I was wrong.

Maybe PS3 can top 360 all year round. WTH is MS doing not cutting price?

In 2007 Sony cut PS3 price by $100, MS cut their Elite console $30, their premium console $50, and their core console (the baseline price, a mere $20.

Despite this, September - Jan 1st 360 Won, Oct - Jan 1st, they tied, Nov - Jan 1st PS3 got a 200k win.

That should put post offices post into perspective.

Around the Network
Seece said:

In 2007 Sony cut PS3 price by $100, MS cut their Elite console $30, their premium console $50, and their core console (the baseline price, a mere $20.

Despite this, September - Jan 1st 360 Won, Oct - Jan 1st, they tied, Nov - Jan 1st PS3 got a 200k win.

You're forgetting the fact that the PS3 had no gamez whatsoever at the time

Mordred11 said:
Seece said:

And the fact that even with the larger cut for the PS3, it was still a $399 minimum.  The 360, on the other hand, was $249 minimum.  That's a $150 difference.  So we shouldn't act like overall price wasn't a big factor, while the amount of the cut was.

This year, unless MS aggressively cuts across the board ($50 for both models/$50-75 for Kinect), Sony is going to take 1st WW this year.  Well, unless the Wii has a HUGE holiday, but I don't see that happening again this year. 

I imagine the Wii marketshare was more mocking the old threads we used to get for every new .1% the Wii gained marketshare, on the way to 50%.

I intend on making threads similar, for when the Wii approaches 40%.

OT:
Great week for PlayStation and 3DS.

thismeintiel said:
Mordred11 said:
Seece said:

And the fact that even with the larger cut for the PS3, it was still a $399 minimum.  The 360, on the other hand, was $249 minimum.  That's a $150 difference.  So we shouldn't act like overall price wasn't a big factor, while the amount of the cut was.

This year, unless MS aggressively cuts across the board ($50 for both models/$50-75 for Kinect), Sony is going to take 1st WW this year.  Well, unless the Wii has a HUGE holiday, but I don't see that happening again this year. 

Agree. I can imagine Wii winning the holidays again, but not by a margin large enough to win the whole year too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
morenoingrato said:
Antabus said:
Sweet!! Wii down to 44,8%!

Wow, you must be really proud of yourself and your stupid, empty and pointless victory.

So when Malstrom wasn't just happy of Wii's back then overwhelming leadership, but he wanted competitors to go bankrupt too, he was the stupidest man on earth. If you answer that Malstrom's rants were just provocations, then Antabus too has the same right as Malstrom to provoke.

Anyway, just like Sony and MS, neither Nintendo can pretend to hold the leadership once conquered it, you must earn the conquer, but you must earn holding it too. Ninty just threw Wii's leadership down the loo, this is unforgivable, and it damages not only Wii users, but every gamer, as less competition is always bad for us.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
morenoingrato said:
Antabus said:

Wow, you must be really proud of yourself and your stupid, empty and pointless victory.

So when Malstrom wasn't just happy of Wii's back then overwhelming leadership, but he wanted competitors to go bankrupt too, he was the stupidest man on earth. If you answer that Malstrom's rants were just provocations, then Antabus too has the same right as Malstrom to provoke.

I am not trying to provoke anyone, I am just genuinely happy to see nintendo doing worse. I am so selfish that I don't want my gaming experience ruined with the kind of stuff nintendo offers.

As I see nintendo doing bad, I believe next gen might not be as crappy as it looked few years back.

Antabus said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
morenoingrato said:
Antabus said:

I am not trying to provoke anyone, I am just genuinely happy to see nintendo doing worse. I am so selfish that I don't want my gaming experience ruined with the kind of stuff nintendo offers.

As I see nintendo doing bad, I believe next gen might not be as crappy as it looked few years back.

How would your gaming experience be ruined by a console you don't own? How did gaming turn into crap when Nintendo won this gen?

kurasakiichimaru said:
Antabus said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
morenoingrato said:
Antabus said:

How would your gaming experience be ruined by a console you don't own? How did gaming turn into crap when Nintendo won this gen?

Use the google, a good search could be "kinect" or "ps move".

Luckily at least 360 survived without a lot of platformers/kart racers/whatever nintendo makes.

Antabus said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
morenoingrato said:
Antabus said:

I don't agree, greedy publishers like Activision and EA manage to ruin gaming through extreme milking, dumbification, humiliating brilliant teams and other filth without any Nintendo help. But it's your opinion and you've got the same right as Malstrom and his fans to express it, and it's still milder than Malstrom's, that blamed the rest of the industry for the same you blame Ninty, just to turn later against Ninty because it doesn't make enough Nintendo "classic".games.