By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 3 Demographic More Diverse Than Xbox 360 Demographic?

mantlepiecek said:

I think its fair to compare two franchises because they are both of the same genre. What can we do to try to evaluate diversity? When a particular fanbase is supposed to be diverse they can't buy something more than the average because than they wouldn't be diverse.

About portal, like I said, out of all the fpses Halo and call of duty sell the most in fact they are the majority. Attach rates don't really matter because attach rates will always be higher in America. There isn't much relation to diverse audience with attach rate.

To give you an example lets see the action genre on the PS3 vs fps genre on the 360 :

Out of the top 20 action games that have sold on the PS3, there are 16 different IPs. Out of these, there are 6 open world/sandbox games, 4 stealth action games(assassin's creed and Mgs 4), 3 third person shooters including Uncharted, 5 hack and slash and the remaining are batman and lego.

Out of the top 20 fps games on the 360 you have 10 different IPs. Out of these there are 6 call of duties, 3 halos, 2 left 4 deads, 1 battlefield bad company 2,  2 RSVegas, 2 bioshocks, 1 medal of honor, 1 borderlands, 1 GRAW, and the orange box. So a total of 11 military based shooters (Bad company, rainbow six, graw, call of duty, medal of honor).

Over 50 % of the fps games in the top 20 are millitary based shooters and even if we remove call of duty, there is still GRAW which is different but still military based and vegas and medal of honor and battlefield. If we include halo in it then that's 14. But I am not sure if people agree with halo being a military shooter even though technically its a military what I played in halo 3.

At the end of the day fps games don't have as much variety as action games. Uncharted is a lot different from assassin's creed and there's not that much difference between halo and call of duty. Uncharted and god of war 3 are different, god of war and assassin's creed are different, GTA and god of war is almost a genre apart and they are called as action games.

There is a relation between attach rates. Because as I've said in my previous post, the average 360 owner has more games of all genres excluding fps combined than the average ps3 owner. Basically while xbox owners buy a lot of fps they also buy more of the other genres in general as well. Also I would argue halo is just as different from call of duty as god of war is from assassins creed. Two completely different styles of shooting enemies with two completly different styles of basically hack and slash. Portal is just as different from halo as uncharted is from god of war, etc. And you are only comparing action games to fps, when other genres are more varied on the 360 than on the ps3. Xbox owners have more diversity because they buy  more games than ps3 owners in general

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:

I think its fair to compare two franchises because they are both of the same genre. What can we do to try to evaluate diversity? When a particular fanbase is supposed to be diverse they can't buy something more than the average because than they wouldn't be diverse.

About portal, like I said, out of all the fpses Halo and call of duty sell the most in fact they are the majority. Attach rates don't really matter because attach rates will always be higher in America. There isn't much relation to diverse audience with attach rate.

To give you an example lets see the action genre on the PS3 vs fps genre on the 360 :

Out of the top 20 action games that have sold on the PS3, there are 16 different IPs. Out of these, there are 6 open world/sandbox games, 4 stealth action games(assassin's creed and Mgs 4), 3 third person shooters including Uncharted, 5 hack and slash and the remaining are batman and lego.

Out of the top 20 fps games on the 360 you have 10 different IPs. Out of these there are 6 call of duties, 3 halos, 2 left 4 deads, 1 battlefield bad company 2,  2 RSVegas, 2 bioshocks, 1 medal of honor, 1 borderlands, 1 GRAW, and the orange box. So a total of 11 military based shooters (Bad company, rainbow six, graw, call of duty, medal of honor).

Over 50 % of the fps games in the top 20 are millitary based shooters and even if we remove call of duty, there is still GRAW which is different but still military based and vegas and medal of honor and battlefield. If we include halo in it then that's 14. But I am not sure if people agree with halo being a military shooter even though technically its a military what I played in halo 3.

At the end of the day fps games don't have as much variety as action games. Uncharted is a lot different from assassin's creed and there's not that much difference between halo and call of duty. Uncharted and god of war 3 are different, god of war and assassin's creed are different, GTA and god of war is almost a genre apart and they are called as action games.

What did you count Gears of War as? Action? Even though it's a 3rd person shooter, it's still a shooter non the less. Same with Uncharted (more shooting then climbing).

Assassin's Creed, God of War, and GTA are proper action games because the games are either completly gun free, or shooting isn't a primary aspect of the game.

Still those charts are funny. The only major difference between PS3 and 360 is that Action and FPS are reversed.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

enrageorange said:
mantlepiecek said:

There is a relation between attach rates. Because as I've said in my previous post, the average 360 owner has more games of all genres excluding fps combined than the average ps3 owner. Basically while xbox owners buy a lot of fps they also buy more of the other genres in general as well. Also I would argue halo is just as different from call of duty as god of war is from assassins creed. Two completely different styles of shooting enemies with two completly different styles of basically hack and slash. Portal is just as different from halo as uncharted is from god of war, etc. And you are only comparing action games to fps, when other genres are more varied on the 360 than on the ps3. Xbox owners have more diversity because they buy  more games than ps3 owners in general

What you are saying is that because xbox 360 owners buy more games of every genre (only a little difference here actually, such a small difference can happen because of kinect adventures as well) they are more diverse. That's not actually true since when you look at it shooters and fpses make a big part of their collection, around 30%. A gamer can be diverse in his choices without buying a lot more games. Not to mention some people might have bought the PS3 for blu-ray (though it won't be that much it still is a factor) . Percentage is more important than attach ratio for this reason for eg, if you remove both shooters and fpses I am sure the PS3 will have a higher attach ratio. And if you remove both rpg and fps then I am sure the PS3 will have a higher attach ratio.

[Edit: So I just calculated the attach ratio for PS3 and 360 in America without fps. The PS3 has an attach ratio of 8 whereas the 360 has an attach ratio of 7.5. This is including kinect adventures.]

{Edit 2: In short, what I want to say is that the hardware nos are irrelevant to the software diversity.}

And there really is not that much difference between call of duty and halo compared to God of war and GTA. I have played all four, the first two play similar. God of war is static camera and GTA is open world. Contrasting gameplay elements. The small differences you find between halo and call of duty can also be found between GTA and God of War + camera differences and huge gameplay differences. One is a hack and slash and the other is a third person shooter with a lot of freedom.

God of war has a lot of puzzles too, GTA has none of that. They are like I said a genre apart, but called action games.

Portal comes absolutely last on the top 20 so I don't really see the point. It is wrongly placed on Vgchartz as fps.

Michael-5 said:
mantlepiecek said:

What did you count Gears of War as? Action? Even though it's a 3rd person shooter, it's still a shooter non the less. Same with Uncharted (more shooting then climbing).

Assassin's Creed, God of War, and GTA are proper action games because the games are either completly gun free, or shooting isn't a primary aspect of the game.

Still those charts are funny. The only major difference between PS3 and 360 is that Action and FPS are reversed.

Gears of war is a shooter because shooting is what you do the most. And there isn't much emphasis on the story throughout the game. It is still technically an action game.

Uncharted 2 is a little different, I can sneak around the environments, using stealth kills, melee kills and then there's shooting as well. In terms of pure gameplay for many people its probably a shooter, however Uncharted 2 is not all about the gameplay as much as it is about the story, and the story is presented a lot like an action movie. And it does have a lot of platforming, if you see most parts of the game have platforming and set-pieces. Not all parts of the game even require shooting. The first part of Uncharted 2 itself is stealth level where you cannot shoot.

To call it a third person shooter seems weird, just like calling metal gear solid 4 as a third person shooter when there's a first person camera in it. Camera angles mean little in these games, and metal gear solid 4 is more gadget stealth game like splinter cell than a shooter. In fact in metal gear solid 4 the most memorable part of the game doesn't have shooting.

I agree with assassin's creed and GTA. If you notice GTA does have shooting but just like Uncharted its not its primary focus, there are many other aspects of the game that's important.

@bolded That's important, all this time I was hearing how the PS3 audience is a shooter audience too  because of call of duty sales, funny how when you combine both shooter and fps sales of the PS3 they don't surpass the action genre.

very simple, X360 ver. multi platform title usually sold better just because it have 10m larger base than PS3 in america, so any multi platform title that sell better in america meaning X360 ver. will be an advantage of selling more cause the rest of region even PS3 ver. sell more also hard to compete with this 10m larger base

Around the Network

We haven't made a list of exclusives yet, maybe that will add something to the discussion.

XBOX360:

1. Halo 3 - 11.3m
2. Halo Reach - 8.62m
3. Gears of War 2 - 6.11m
4. Gears of War - 5.95m
5. Halo 3: ODST - 5.89m
6. Forza Motorsport 3 - 4.91m
7. Forza Motorsport 2 - 4.02m
8. Fable 2 - 3.98m
9. Left 4 Dead 2 - 3.27m
10. Kinect Sports - 3.25m

PS3:

1. Gran Turismo 5 - 6.42m
2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - 5.25m
3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 4.74m
4. LittleBigPlanet - 4.47m
5. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue - 4.11m
6. God of War 3 - 3.98m
7. Resistance: Fall of Man - 3.83m
8. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 3.68m
9. Motorstorm - 3.59m
10. Killzone 2 - 2.67m

Now...Discuss

I look at what the argument has devolved into and I don’t see the point. Yes, FPS games are more popular on the Xbox 360. I don't think that was ever in dispute. The point of this thread was to show that the Xbox isn't just a "shooter box" like people seem to think. There's diversity amongst it's users and its library. The whole "shooter box" thing and the argument that 360 fans only play FPS's is just another stereotype that needs to die,

As for the list of exclusives, I'll say that Halo and Gears are well made juggernaut franchises and deserve every sale they get. They are shooters but they are awesome. I wish games like God of War 3 and Uncharted were equally popular among the PS3 fanbase because they are pure quality. With that said, 360's exclusives span five genres (4 FPS's, 2 TPS's, 2 Racers, 1 RPG, and one Party Game) while the PS3's exclusives span four genres (3 racers, 4 Action/Adventure, 2 FPS's, and one Platformer).

It still doesn't prove anything. Looking at the top movies of all time, there will probably be a ton of Star Wars/Harry Potter movies but that doesn't mean every movie goer is a star wars fan. It just proves that Star Wars/Harry Potter are "an event" and they make a lot of money. If there were 10 Halo games or 10 Gran Turismo's, the top ten for each console would consist solely of that one popular genre. That doesn't mean that that one genre is all people play.

d21lewis said:
With that said, 360's exclusives span five genres (4 FPS's, 2 TPS's, 2 Racers, 1 RPG, and one Party Game) while the PS3's exclusives span four genres (3 racers, 4 Action/Adventure, 2 FPS's, and one Platformer).

How did you reach this conclusion? Is it some kind of top 10 exclusives or something?

I am sure the one party game is kinect, and that rpg is fable. Both supposedly bundled like crazy, although I am not sure about fable.

I know for sure forza wouldn't have made as far if it wasn't for bundles. There have been times when it was impossible to buy a 360 without alan wake, forza etc

But I also agree that the 360 audience is similar to the PS3 audience. There is however a difference in most preferred genre, on the PS3 its action, on the 360 its fps. Hopefully people will also throw out the stereotype of PS3 owners being shooter biased because of call of duty sales. [That stereotype does exist btw.]

mantlepiecek said:
d21lewis said:
With that said, 360's exclusives span five genres (4 FPS's, 2 TPS's, 2 Racers, 1 RPG, and one Party Game) while the PS3's exclusives span four genres (3 racers, 4 Action/Adventure, 2 FPS's, and one Platformer).

How did you reach this conclusion? Is it some kind of top 10 exclusives or something?

I am sure the one party game is kinect, and that rpg is fable. Both supposedly bundled like crazy, although I am not sure about fable.

I know for sure forza wouldn't have made as far if it wasn't for bundles. There have been times when it was impossible to buy a 360 without alan wake, forza etc

But I also agree that the 360 audience is similar to the PS3 audience. There is however a difference in most preferred genre, on the PS3 its action, on the 360 its fps. Hopefully people will also throw out the stereotype of PS3 owners being shooter biased because of call of duty sales. [That stereotype does exist btw.]

Yes, it is top 10 exclusives, courtesy of moi :P

And the one party game is kinect yes, but not Kinect adventures, I excluded that because it is bundled with Kinect as standard.

And the common stereotypes are that XBOX 360 owners buy nothing but shooters and PS3 owners don't buy games at all, both are wrong but there is SOME truth in them.

brendude13 said:
mantlepiecek said:
d21lewis said:

Yes, it is top 10 exclusives, courtesy of moi :P

And the one party game is kinect yes, but not Kinect adventures, I excluded that because it is bundled with Kinect as standard.

And the common stereotypes are that XBOX 360 owners buy nothing but shooters and PS3 owners don't buy games at all, both are wrong but there is SOME truth in them.

lol I always thought that PS3 owners don't buy their games was trolling since according to vgchartz this year the PS3 has sold more software. Last year the 360 was like 4 % more than the PS3.