By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 3 Demographic More Diverse Than Xbox 360 Demographic?

^^^Somebody should make a list of gaming stereotypes/misconceptions that need to die. I'd add to the list (even though some are already dead):
-Playstation has no games
-Xbox 360 is just a "Shooterbox"
-Third party games don't sell on the Wii
-The PSP was a failure
-3DS has weak graphics
-Metal Gear Solid 4 was a good game (I'm just kidding)
-PS3 has crappy online
-etc

I would do it myself but this site loads too slowly on my phone's default browser. Opera doesn't support thread creation.

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:
brendude13 said:

Yes, it is top 10 exclusives, courtesy of moi :P

And the one party game is kinect yes, but not Kinect adventures, I excluded that because it is bundled with Kinect as standard.

And the common stereotypes are that XBOX 360 owners buy nothing but shooters and PS3 owners don't buy games at all, both are wrong but there is SOME truth in them.

lol I always thought that PS3 owners don't buy their games was trolling since according to vgchartz this year the PS3 has sold more software. Last year the 360 was like 4 % more than the PS3.

I'm surprised by those numbers.

Normally I see multiplatform games outperforming the PS3 on the XBOX 360. Where are most of the software sales coming from?

d21lewis said:
^^^Somebody should make a list of gaming stereotypes/misconceptions that need to die. I'd add to the list (even though some are already dead):

-3DS has weak graphics

While I will admit that they aren't terrible, I do get pissed off when the advertisement touts them as "next generation" and "amazing" graphics while displaying pre-rendered footage. It's bad enough that the rest of the advert consists of pure lies to the consumer too.

Anyway, I agree with the rest, I do hate stereotypes, but I guess that applies to everything, especially stereotypes about nationalities. The worst part is that stereotypes are genuinely believed by many people and aren't just thought as of light hearted jokes.

mantlepiecek said:
Michael-5 said:

What did you count Gears of War as? Action? Even though it's a 3rd person shooter, it's still a shooter non the less. Same with Uncharted (more shooting then climbing).

Assassin's Creed, God of War, and GTA are proper action games because the games are either completly gun free, or shooting isn't a primary aspect of the game.

Still those charts are funny. The only major difference between PS3 and 360 is that Action and FPS are reversed.

Gears of war is a shooter because shooting is what you do the most. And there isn't much emphasis on the story throughout the game. It is still technically an action game.

Uncharted 2 is a little different, I can sneak around the environments, using stealth kills, melee kills and then there's shooting as well. In terms of pure gameplay for many people its probably a shooter, however Uncharted 2 is not all about the gameplay as much as it is about the story, and the story is presented a lot like an action movie. And it does have a lot of platforming, if you see most parts of the game have platforming and set-pieces. Not all parts of the game even require shooting. The first part of Uncharted 2 itself is stealth level where you cannot shoot.

To call it a third person shooter seems weird, just like calling metal gear solid 4 as a third person shooter when there's a first person camera in it. Camera angles mean little in these games, and metal gear solid 4 is more gadget stealth game like splinter cell than a shooter. In fact in metal gear solid 4 the most memorable part of the game doesn't have shooting.

I agree with assassin's creed and GTA. If you notice GTA does have shooting but just like Uncharted its not its primary focus, there are many other aspects of the game that's important.

@bolded That's important, all this time I was hearing how the PS3 audience is a shooter audience too  because of call of duty sales, funny how when you combine both shooter and fps sales of the PS3 they don't surpass the action genre.

I dunno, Uncharted 1 was almost pure shooter if you asked me, and story was no deeper then a typical Gears of War game. However UC2 I'll accept as a hybrid shooter/action game. Still I would personally put UC2 as a shooter, it's just a lot more story focused, and has some action elements. When I played it I still felt that shooting (and story) were the primary focus.

As for MGS4, just like Splinter Cell Conviction I consider it a shooter. It's not an FPS like Call of Duty or Halo are, but it's a shooter none the less. Everyone looks at things in their own way I guess.

@ bolded. It's important because it shows the difference between the PS3 and 360 demograph. Remember 360 is significantly more popular in Americas, where shooters rule. So it makes sense. Still I wonder if you counted MGS and Uncharted as shooters, would it make a noticable difference to the demoraph? Would Action still be #1? Not surprised to see Action so big on PS3.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

I dunno, Uncharted 1 was almost pure shooter if you asked me, and story was no deeper then a typical Gears of War game. However UC2 I'll accept as a hybrid shooter/action game. Still I would personally put UC2 as a shooter, it's just a lot more story focused, and has some action elements. When I played it I still felt that shooting (and story) were the primary focus.

As for MGS4, just like Splinter Cell Conviction I consider it a shooter. It's not an FPS like Call of Duty or Halo are, but it's a shooter none the less. Everyone looks at things in their own way I guess.

@ bolded. It's important because it shows the difference between the PS3 and 360 demograph. Remember 360 is significantly more popular in Americas, where shooters rule. So it makes sense. Still I wonder if you counted MGS and Uncharted as shooters, would it make a noticable difference to the demoraph? Would Action still be #1? Not surprised to see Action so big on PS3.

I would class the Uncharted franchise as action / adventure, not only because of the huge focus on the story but because of the occasional puzzle too. I spent a hell of a lot more time platforming and making my way through levels than I did shooting. Still, Uncharted can be passed off as a third person shooter, although I would prefer if it wasn't.

MGS4 though, definitely not, if you played the game with guns blazing then it's your own problem. MGS4 is a Japanese game, with a bigger emphasis on story than any other game I have known (the cutscenes alone should have made you realise this). Oh, and did I mention that you can get through the entire game without killing anyone (other than punching Ocelot to death)? The game punishes you for being spotted, it's something that you are encouraged to avoid for the entire game.

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
d21lewis said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
For comparison's sake:

X360 TOP 50:

Shooter: 16
WRPG: 9
Sports: 7
Sandbox: 5
Music: 4
Action-Adventure: 4 (included Lego games here, not sure)
Racer: 3
Platform:1
Motion control: 1

TOP 50 PS3

Sports: 10
Shooter: 10
Racer: 6
Sandbox: 5
Stealth: 1
Action-Adventure: 5
WRPG: 3
Platform: 2
Hack n' Slash: 2
Fighter: 2
JRPG: 1
Music: 1
Interactive drama: 1
Motion control: 1

X360 has 9 categories, PS3 14.
X360 has a 32% shooters, PS3 20%.

So I would say it's true that PS3 owners have more varied tastes, though as I said much of this can be attributed at the PS3 having a more evenly distributed install base.

I don't have the top 50 list in front of me so I'm just guessing at this but:  I don't think it's as clear cut as this makes it look.  I'm sure that if you look at the games available on both consoles, there's a pretty good chance that the 360 counterparts outsold their PS3 counterparts.  Games like Alan Wake, Viva Pinata, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Bayonetta, and such did very well on the 360.  It's just that the 360 had so many games in the shooter genre that end up doing sooo much better (again, multiple entries in the Halo and Gears series--both very good series) tend to crowd out other games and genres.

You're right in part. Most counterparts sold better on X360 and it's just that shooters (and WRPG's to some extent) sell gazillions on the platform.

But some genres are not even represented in X360 top 50 like stealth, fighters, interactive drama, JRPG, Hack n' Slash. These sell worse (sometimes much worse or are just inexistent) on X360.

Anyway, obviously that's no excuse for Mass Effect selling poorly on PS3. Although PS3 owners are not very keen on WRPG's, it's mostly due to the fact that the series is incomplete on PS3, that it came too late and that it's available on PC.

Couldn't that largely be franchise based though.  I mean the first COD games no doubt are up there on 360....

but not on PS3, because of PS3's early pathetic preformances.

To get it accurately statistically you would probably need to have a marketshare number rather then just straight numbers.

Or at the very least, only count franchises once.

Or just work off the basis of games sold this last year or so.

Even marketshare might not work, since FPS I believe were a much bigger percentage of the market when the systems first came out, because well.... FPS take the least work.

d21lewis said:
-The PSP was a failure
-3DS has weak graphics
-PS3 has crappy online
-etc

I would do it myself but this site loads too slowly on my phone's default browser. Opera doesn't support thread creation.

You should make a thread on busted gaming stereotypes and ask people to populate the list. I would gladly join in. Send me a link if you do.

Sadly, one stereotype that isn't bust...

NOA doesn't localize too many Japanese titles.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

d21lewis said:
-The PSP was a failure
-3DS has weak graphics
-PS3 has crappy online
-etc

It barely outperforms PSP graphics so i don't see  how it's misconception or stereotype.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

brendude13 said:
Michael-5 said:

I would class the Uncharted franchise as action / adventure, not only because of the huge focus on the story but because of the occasional puzzle too. I spent a hell of a lot more time platforming and making my way through levels than I did shooting. Still, Uncharted can be passed off as a third person shooter, although I would prefer if it wasn't.

MGS4 though, definitely not, if you played the game with guns blazing then it's your own problem. MGS4 is a Japanese game, with a bigger emphasis on story than any other game I have known (the cutscenes alone should have made you realise this). Oh, and did I mention that you can get through the entire game without killing anyone (other than punching Ocelot to death)? The game punishes you for being spotted, it's something that you are encouraged to avoid for the entire game.

That's why I said Uncharted makes sense as a hybrid shooter/Action title.

Story has nothing to do with it being a shooter or not. Mass Effect 2 is a game I laregly consider a shooter (most RPG elements have been stripped), and it's probably the most story focused shooter this gen. I mean it's 20 hours long and like InFamous, allows choices between good and evil.

As for MGS, I haven't beaten 4, but I played it for a few hours. I have beaten MGS1, and 2, and got a good way into 3, so I'm not new to the franchise. Yes it's heavy on the story, but what does that have to do with anything? Being a game mostly about cut scenes doesn't somehow make this an action/adventure game. Maybe another hybrid Action (cinematics) / shooter (stealth 3PS). I guess if anything you should count this as a stralth shooter and put it in the same boat as Splinter Cell, but I wouldn't consider this pure action.

Michael-5 said:
mantlepiecek said:
Michael-5 said:

What did you count Gears of War as? Action? Even though it's a 3rd person shooter, it's still a shooter non the less. Same with Uncharted (more shooting then climbing).

Assassin's Creed, God of War, and GTA are proper action games because the games are either completly gun free, or shooting isn't a primary aspect of the game.

Still those charts are funny. The only major difference between PS3 and 360 is that Action and FPS are reversed.

Gears of war is a shooter because shooting is what you do the most. And there isn't much emphasis on the story throughout the game. It is still technically an action game.

Uncharted 2 is a little different, I can sneak around the environments, using stealth kills, melee kills and then there's shooting as well. In terms of pure gameplay for many people its probably a shooter, however Uncharted 2 is not all about the gameplay as much as it is about the story, and the story is presented a lot like an action movie. And it does have a lot of platforming, if you see most parts of the game have platforming and set-pieces. Not all parts of the game even require shooting. The first part of Uncharted 2 itself is stealth level where you cannot shoot.

To call it a third person shooter seems weird, just like calling metal gear solid 4 as a third person shooter when there's a first person camera in it. Camera angles mean little in these games, and metal gear solid 4 is more gadget stealth game like splinter cell than a shooter. In fact in metal gear solid 4 the most memorable part of the game doesn't have shooting.

I agree with assassin's creed and GTA. If you notice GTA does have shooting but just like Uncharted its not its primary focus, there are many other aspects of the game that's important.

@bolded That's important, all this time I was hearing how the PS3 audience is a shooter audience too  because of call of duty sales, funny how when you combine both shooter and fps sales of the PS3 they don't surpass the action genre.

Action would still be no. 1 if we were to classify Uncharted series and metal gear solid series as third person shooters, but this time the difference between action and fps will be very small.

But come on, MGS 4 isn't a shooter. If you played the final boss battle you would know. I didn't even purchase any guns other than maybe a couple just to check them out. I was satisfied with my stealth gadget. Only for the boss battles is the gun required. I remember crawling through the whole game.

Splinter cell is a shooter, yes, but to call it a shooter seems unfair since it punishes you if you shoot people. In fact 90% of the time I use a gun is for shooting off the lights, and if someone was to go shooting in this game they would lose all the ammo before they could complete a level. That's not the case with conviction, but that's an exception.