By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 3 Demographic More Diverse Than Xbox 360 Demographic?

I calculated a little more and according to Vgchartz:

Genre Percentage on 360 Percentage on PS3
Action 17.53 %
24.569 %
Adventure 3.707 %
3.806 %
FPS 24.785 %
17.988 %
Shooters 5.86 %
3.831 %
RPG 7.966 %
6.212 %
Platformers 1.827 %
3.841 %
Racers 8.68 %
10.540 %
Sports 14.879 %
16.065 %
Strategy 1.311 %
0.509 %
Other 8.650 %
6.051 %
Fighter 4.787 %
6.582 %

What fps is for the 360, the Action genre is for the PS3.

The PS3 audience is definitely not the shooter box audience. This proves it.

Around the Network

Here are pie charts using the catagories vgc sorts games by except puzzle which is way under 0.1% for both systems. This is the most fair instead of people including obscure genres that only one game qualifies for, and yet combine fps and tps games.

XBOX 360

PS3

So basically the only really popular genres on both systems are Sports, action games, and fps. Sports games are slightly more popular on the PS3, and FPS/Action games are basically flipped for the ps3 and xbox 360. Racers, rpgs, and others are fairly popular on the 360, while racers, rpgs, and fighters are fairly popular on the ps3.

And to anyone who says action games have way more variety than FPS, it is not my fault you only think of military simulators as fps, but if you are a fan of the genre you would realize games like left 4 dead, borderlands, halo, bioshock, call of duty, portal, team fortress 2, etc. are just as different from each other as uncharted 2 is from ninja gaiden, metal gear solid, or assassins creed. The only thing all fps have in common is the view point, just like the only thing all action games have in common is their view point.

The only thing I find weird with the genres is the difference between action games and shooter games. I have no idea how uncharted 2, Alan Wake, or resident evil 5 are more action games than some of the games in the shooter genre such as crackdown, and mercenaries which from my playing involve less shooting then those action games.

enrageorange said:

Here are pie charts using the catagories vgc sorts games by except puzzle which is way under 0.1% for both systems. This is the most fair instead of people including obscure genres that only one game qualifies for, and yet combine fps and tps games.

XBOX 360

PS3

So basically the only really popular genres on both systems are Sports, action games, and fps. Sports games are slightly more popular on the PS3, and FPS/Action games are basically flipped for the ps3 and xbox 360. Racers, rpgs, and others are fairly popular on the 360, while racers, rpgs, and fighters are fairly popular on the ps3.

And to anyone who says action games have way more variety than FPS, it is not my fault you only think of military simulators as fps, but if you are a fan of the genre you would realize games like left 4 dead, borderlands, halo, bioshock, call of duty, portal, team fortress 2, etc. are just as different from each other as uncharted 2 is from ninja gaiden, metal gear solid, or assassins creed. The only thing all fps have in common is the view point, just like the only thing all action games have in common is their view point.

The only thing I find weird with the genres is the difference between action games and shooter games. I have no idea how uncharted 2, Alan Wake, or resident evil 5 are more action games than some of the games in the shooter genre such as crackdown, and mercenaries which from my playing involve less shooting then those action games.

wait hold on

is this a pie chart based off of sales? or the quantity of games in each genre?

enrageorange said:

Their game play involves being in fps mode while shooting.

In action genre you can see all the variety you see in fps games + variety in gameplay as well. For eg sandbox action games like infamous and GTA 4 are different, one doesn't require you to shoot while the other does. I am sure there are first person action games as well. I think Ryse is something like that.

i buy all the game hahahahahaha Fear me!!!!

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Wait, I'm a troll now? I searched on this site and only took exclusives that came on the first page...That's it. it's amazing how quickly internet forumgoers will jump on every possibly excuse to call someone a troll, fanboy, or some other manner of insult that's only an insult on the internet.

It's really annoying.

How am I suppose to know that?

I might have jumped on you too soon, so I'm sorry.

Back to the point of the original comment, I think you can see for yourself the 360 has as much of a wide variety of exclusive software as the Ps3. That's all I was trying to prove.    

A quick calculation tells me that out of the fps genre on the 360, 71.3 million (57 %) sales come from the Halo series (excluding halo wars) and the Call of Duty series. That's almost as much as the total PS3 fps sales (77 million).

On PS3 the call of duty series takes around 31 million sales. On the 360 its higher at around 45 million. From the ratio we got previously 1.7 was the average ratio in fps games sales.

The ratio between call of duty on 360 and PS3 is less than that at around 1.45. Meaning call of duty : other fps on PS3 is higher than call of duty : other fps on the 360. That means outside of call of duty the PS3 has lesser demand on fps compared to the 360. This maybe because of halo though.

mantlepiecek said:

A quick calculation tells me that out of the fps genre on the 360, 71.3 million (57 %) sales come from the Halo series (excluding halo wars) and the Call of Duty series. That's almost as much as the total PS3 fps sales (77 million).

On PS3 the call of duty series takes around 31 million sales. On the 360 its higher at around 45 million. From the ratio we got previously 1.7 was the average ratio in fps games sales.

The ratio between call of duty on 360 and PS3 is less than that at around 1.45. Meaning call of duty : other fps on PS3 is higher than call of duty : other fps on the 360. That means outside of call of duty the PS3 has lesser demand on fps compared to the 360. This maybe because of halo though.

I gotta go to bed--work in the morning--but those pie charts you made were things of beauty.  They're worthy of their own thread.  I'll probably be on VGChartz via my phone tomorrow but when I get home, those bad boys are going into the OP!

d21lewis said:
mantlepiecek said:

I gotta go to bed--work in the morning--but those pie charts you made were things of beauty.  They're worthy of their own thread.  I'll probably be on VGChartz via my phone tomorrow but when I get home, those bad boys are going into the OP!

Actually the pie charts were made by enrageorange. I just made the table.

enrageorange said:

XBOX 360

PS3

Nice Job, on the Pie Charts. Comparing side by side, the diversity for both is near identical which pretty much IMO dismiss the notion that 360 lacks diversity in comparison to PS3. And I definitely agree with you regarding FPS vs Action variety argument.