By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 3 Demographic More Diverse Than Xbox 360 Demographic?

I like what Heavenly King said. but also look at the exclusives:

360's top exclusives:

Halo 3 (Shooter)
Kinect Adventures (Kinect)
Halo Reach (Shooter)
Gears of War 2 (Shooter)
Gears of War (Shooter)
Halo 3: ODST (Shooter)
Forza Motorsport 3 (Racer)
Forza Motorsport 2 (Racer)
Fable II (WRPG)
LEft 4 Dead 2 (shooter)
Kinect Sports (Kinect)
Fable III (WRPG)
Left 4 Dead (Shooter)
MAss Effect (WRPG)

That's 7 shooters, 3 Western RPG's, 2 racers, and 2 Kinect titles.

PS3's top exclusives:

Gran Turismo 5 (Racer)
Metal Gear solid 4: guns of the Patriots (Action/Adventure/RPG/whatever)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Action/Adventure)
LittleBigPlanet (platformer)
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Racer)
God of War III (Action/Adventure)
Resistance: Fall of Man (Shooter)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Action Adventure)
Motorstorm (Racer)
Killzone 2 (Shooter)
Sports Champions (Move/Sports)
God of War Collection (Action/Adventure)
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (Platformer/Action/RPG/whatever)
Resistance 2 (Shooter)
inFamous (Action/Adventure)
Heavy Rain (Interactive Drama)
Killzone 3 (Shooter)

That's 3 racers, 6 action/adventure games, 2 platformers, 4 shooters, 1 Heavy Rain and 1 Sports/Move title. That's far more evenly distributed and I'd even consider games like Uncharted to be "Adventure" While MEtal Gear Solid is more Action, so I'd even go so far as to split Action and Adventure into two seperate categories.

But more interesting are the Top Selling multiplatform games and what system they sell better on...

Call of Duty: Black Ops (Shooter) 360
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Shooter) 360
Grand Theft auto IV (Action/Adventure) 360
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Shooter) 360
Assassin's Creed (Action/Adventure) 360
Assassin's Creed 2 (Action/Adventure) Tie (Virtually)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Action/Adventure) 360
Call of Duty: World at War (shooter) 360
Final Fantasy XIII (JRPG) PS3
Red Dead Redemption (Action/Adventure) 360
Guitar Hero III (Music) 360

Okay this is getting boring, seriously.

The only games I found to sell better on PS3 were stuff like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Devil MAy Cry, and some sports titles. Most games sold better on 360, but a curious thing I noticed was that shooters, on average, sold 1-2 million more on Xbox, whereas games like Assassin's Creed, Red Dead, Grand Theft Auto, and various other Action/Adventure games sold pretty close to one another overall.

I think that, while not conclusive, this definitely supports the theory that the 360 tends to focus mostly on shooters, whereas the PS3 focuses on a much wiider genre pool. While the multiplatforms definitely prove people are buying more games on Xbox (american games, anyway), the PS3 excels in Japanese games (JRPG's and Capcom games)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

360's top exclusives:

Halo 3 (Shooter)
Halo Reach (Shooter)
Gears of War 2 (Shooter)
Gears of War (Shooter)
Fable II (WRPG)
LEft 4 Dead 2 (shooter)
Kinect Sports (Kinect)
Fable III (WRPG)
Left 4 Dead (Shooter)
MAss Effect (WRPG)

PS3's top exclusives:

Gran Turismo 5 (Racer)
Motorstorm (Racer)
Killzone 2 (Shooter)
Resistance 2 (Shooter)
Killzone 3 (Shooter)

That's 3 racers, 6 action/adventure games, 2 platformers, 4 shooters, 1 Heavy Rain and 1 Sports/Move title. That's far more evenly distributed and I'd even consider games like Uncharted to be "Adventure" While MEtal Gear Solid is more Action, so I'd even go so far as to split Action and Adventure into two seperate categories.

But more interesting are the Top Selling multiplatform games and what system they sell better on...

The only games I found to sell better on PS3 were stuff like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Devil MAy Cry, and some sports titles. Most games sold better on 360, but a curious thing I noticed was that shooters, on average, sold 1-2 million more on Xbox, whereas games like Assassin's Creed, Red Dead, Grand Theft Auto, and various other Action/Adventure games sold pretty close to one another overall.

I think that, while not conclusive, this definitely supports the theory that the 360 tends to focus mostly on shooters, whereas the PS3 focuses on a much wiider genre pool. While the multiplatforms definitely prove people are buying more games on Xbox (american games, anyway), the PS3 excels in Japanese games (JRPG's and Capcom games)

You bring up a good point! Look at the difference in exclusives. Since marketing is likely a big factor in what games people buy and MS will heavily market their FPS exclusive titles it makes sense that more FPS have sold on the X360 vs PS3.

However it's not really about which console sells more of a particular genre but how many of titles in a certain genre are sold compared to other genres and the total number of games that are sold of a particular console.

Runa216 said:

360's top exclusives:

Halo 3 (Shooter)
Halo Reach (Shooter)
Gears of War 2 (Shooter)
Gears of War (Shooter)
Fable II (WRPG)
LEft 4 Dead 2 (shooter)
Kinect Sports (Kinect)
Fable III (WRPG)
Left 4 Dead (Shooter)
MAss Effect (WRPG)

PS3's top exclusives:

Gran Turismo 5 (Racer)
Motorstorm (Racer)
Killzone 2 (Shooter)
Resistance 2 (Shooter)
Killzone 3 (Shooter)

For one your comparing the top 14  Xbox 360 exclusives and top 17 ps3 exclusives. If your going to do a comparison you should have the same number of games. That said top 20 exclusives. 

360's top exclusives:

Halo 3 (shooter)
Kinect Adventures (Kinect, Adventure)
Halo Reach (FPS)
Gears of War 2 (Shooter)
Gears of War (Shooter)
Fable II (Action/adventure, RPG)
LEft 4 Dead 2 (shooter)
Kinect Sports (Kinect/ Sports)
Fable III (Action/adventure, RPG)
Left 4 Dead (Shooter)
MAss Effect (WRPG)
Dance Central (Dance/Music, Kinect)
Saints Row (Sandbox, action/adventure)
Halo Wars (RTS)
PGR4 (Racing)
Splinter Cell: Conviction (Action/adventure)
Crackdown (Sandbox, Action/adventure)

That's 7 shooters, 3 Western RPG's, 6 Action/Adventure, 2 Sandbox, 1 Music/dance, 1 RTS, 3 racers, 1 sports and 3 Kinect titles.  

Gran Turismo 5 (Racer)
Metal Gear solid 4: guns of the Patriots (Action/Adventure)
Motorstorm (Racer)
Killzone 2 (Shooter)
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (Platformer/Action)
Resistance 2 (Shooter)
inFamous (Action/Adventure, sandbox)
Killzone 3 (Shooter)
Heavenly  Sword (action/adventure)
LBP2 (Platformer)
Rachet and Clank: Crack in Time (Platformer, Action/Adveture)

3 racers, 8 action/adventure games, 3 platformers, 4 shooters, 1 sandbox, 1 Heavy Rain, 1 Sports, and 1 Move title.

9 different genres for the 360 and 8 different genres for the ps3. Next time try to make your trolling not so obvious.     

Lolll this again... cmon people, why do people care if one demographic likes shooters more than the others? Are shooters that bad? And some of you act like PS fans have the "right" taste and demographic... loll wtf seriously!

Like one posted on some french site people act towards Xbox like since Microsoft doesn't pump retail exclusives like Sony does, it means the Xbox library of games is poor or irrelevant... I mean diversity is there but it seems they absolutely have to not be

Kinect games -> irrelevant
XBLA games -> irrelevant
Indie games -> irrelevant
Exclusive on consoles but available on PC -> irrelevant
Sports games -> irrelevant
Kinect hybrid games -> irrelevant
Timed exclusive games -> irrelevant
Multiplatform games -> irrelevant
Musical games -> irrelevant
Kiddy games -> irrelevant

There's a lot of diversity up there but some prefer to not count them because they don't make the top 10. Games like Kinect Sports and Dance Central sell more than a lot of those Sony exclusives, does it mean that Xbox owners diversify they're gaming experience more than PS owners? And why do some consider Mass Effect to be a shooter but not Infamous and Uncharted? You spend more time shooting in those games than you do in ME lol...

Jazz2K said:
Lolll this again... cmon people, why do people care if one demographic likes shooters more than the others? Are shooters that bad? And some of you act like PS fans have the "right" taste and demographic... loll wtf seriously!

Like one posted on some french site people act towards Xbox like since Microsoft doesn't pump retail exclusives like Sony does, it means the Xbox library of games is poor or irrelevant... I mean diversity is there but it seems they absolutely have to not be

XBLA games -> irrelevant

There's a lot of diversity up there but some prefer to not count them because they don't make the top 10. Games like Kinect Sports and Dance Central sell more than a lot of those Sony exclusives, does it mean that Xbox owners diversify they're gaming experience more than PS owners? And why do some consider Mass Effect to be a shooter but not Infamous and Uncharted? You spend more time shooting in those games than you do in ME lol...

mass effect you shoot and level up

uncharted you shoot, sneak around, and jump around

infamous you shoot(not with a gun) and mainly jump around running everywhere and what not

..what more is their to say.. =

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
Jazz2K said:

XBLA games -> irrelevant

infamous you shoot(not with a gun) and mainly jump around running everywhere and what not

Have you ever played ME2? You should know that you spend a lot of time talking, exploring, scanning planets and some side missions ask you to not go in a battle at all. Anyway I get that you never played the game.

Jazz2K said:
enditall727 said:
Jazz2K said:

XBLA games -> irrelevant

Have you ever played ME2? You should know that you spend a lot of time talking, exploring, scanning planets and some side missions ask you to not go in a battle at all. Anyway I get that you never played the game.

and those would be the rpg elements im guessing :)

really i dont get what you were trying to justify in the bolded

dont you talk to people in damn near every game? dont you explore in damn near every game? scanning planets?? LOL i guess that switch's up the gameplay doesn't it

and may i ask what it is that you do on those side mission's? do you platform any like you do in infamous and uncharted or do you most likely shoot?

:)

The proof is in the exclusives.
Sony release so many AAA games in different genres and sales are split between all of them.

Troll_Whisperer said:
For comparison's sake:

X360 TOP 50:

Shooter: 16
WRPG: 9
Sports: 7
Sandbox: 5
Music: 4
Action-Adventure: 4 (included Lego games here, not sure)
Racer: 3
Platform:1
Motion control: 1

TOP 50 PS3

Sports: 10
Shooter: 10
Racer: 6
Sandbox: 5
Stealth: 1
Action-Adventure: 5
WRPG: 3
Platform: 2
Hack n' Slash: 2
Fighter: 2
JRPG: 1
Music: 1
Interactive drama: 1
Motion control: 1

X360 has 9 categories, PS3 14.
X360 has a 32% shooters, PS3 20%.

So I would say it's true that PS3 owners have more varied tastes, though as I said much of this can be attributed at the PS3 having a more evenly distributed install base.

This post shouldn't be ignored. I think the fact that the overwhelming majority the 360's install base comes from English speaking countries while the PS3's is more balance is the entire reason why the numbers are so skewed 

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Wait, I'm a troll now? I searched on this site and only took exclusives that came on the first page...That's it. it's amazing how quickly internet forumgoers will jump on every possibly excuse to call someone a troll, fanboy, or some other manner of insult that's only an insult on the internet.

It's really annoying.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android