By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 3 Demographic More Diverse Than Xbox 360 Demographic?

I usually roll my eyes at sales talk but I do find this "diversity" question interesting. I think it was the case in the early days that the 360 was just shooter only but less so in these days me thinks.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

Yet COD is still the best selling franchise on PS3........

Its BS. If a PS3 multiplat outsells the 360, its due to Japan.

Fact is 360 gamers are just as diverse, but we know what we want. Shooters are the favourite. PS3 gamers on the other hand dont know what they want

You can be diverse and have preference at the same time.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

CGI-Quality said:
I think the PlayStation crew has different tastes than either Microsoft or Nintendo, which is why titles like HEAVY RAIN & Flower are such hits on the system. Whether or not they're more diverse is up for debate, but the games Sony releases in conjunction with Microsoft or Nintendo, I feel, are more varied, which then leads to the presumption that PlayStation gamers are more diverse. This gen, PS3 and 360 owners are closer in likeness than PS2/Xbox gamers were (which is actually an issue for PlayStation given that Microsoft did their best to keep the 360 as similar to PS3 in titles as they could, which was a brilliant strategy that allowed for much more headway). I, personally, think it's bad for the industry, but that's for another topic and something I don't want to debate on at this moment (especially since it would be for the umpteenth time).

Next gen, all Sony needs to do is keep their varied line-up strong and the woes of the PS3 will be just memories. Right now, I'd say it's the PS3's line-up that's a bit more varied, but the user-bases between PS3/360 are fairly similar (even though they often have different buying trends).

@ Bolded

I complained about that earlier, I completely agree.

CGI-Quality said:
I think the PlayStation crew has different tastes than either Microsoft or Nintendo, which is why titles like HEAVY RAIN & Flower are such hits on the system. Whether or not they're more diverse is up for debate, but the games Sony releases in conjunction with Microsoft or Nintendo, I feel, are more varied, which then leads to the presumption that PlayStation gamers are more diverse. This gen, PS3 and 360 owners are closer in likeness than PS2/Xbox gamers were (which is actually an issue for PlayStation given that Microsoft did their best to keep the 360 as similar to PS3 in titles as they could, which was a brilliant strategy that allowed for much more headway). I, personally, think it's bad for the industry, but that's for another topic and something I don't want to debate on at this moment (especially since it would be for the umpteenth time).

Next gen, all Sony needs to do is keep their varied line-up strong and the woes of the PS3 will be just memories. Right now, I'd say it's the PS3's line-up that's a bit more varied, but the user-bases between PS3/360 are fairly similar (even though they often have different buying trends).

RE: Bolded--Thank you!  I think you and I have faced off on that topic more times than Ryu and Ken!  I'm worn out, too!!  I can't argue with really anything you posted.

I would like to toss out there that, as much as I love my 360, I just don't know how Microsoft will be able to duplicate their success next gen in comparison to a new Playstation console.  The year's headstart and the bevy of exclusives made the Xbox 360 an enticing machine.  The lack of exclusive franchises as of late is really making me wonder what M$ is thinking.  If PS3 owners and 360 owners share similar tastes (not 100% of the time, but often enough) and both games have nearly identical third party libraries, what is there to draw users to a new Xbox if Microsoft's first party isn't stepping up anymore?  This is pretty off-topic, I guess.

CGI-Quality said:

Not trying to start a argument, just saying that Live Arcade is a great place for 360 owners to show their diversity. I could make a huge list of exclusive Arcade games that arent shooters but heres the ones off the top of my head that sold extremely well. 

Cloning Clyde, Geometry Wars 1/2, N+, Pac Man Championship Edition, Splosion Man, Trials HD, Super Meat Boy, Pinball FX/2, Texas Hold Em, Uno, Fruit Ninja Kinect, Banjo Kazooie, Hexic 2, Bastion.

Not to mention Braid, Limbo, and Castle Crashers, and right now From Dust all sold extremely well when they were timed exclusive, and id call none of them shooters. The PSN versions tanked by comparison.

At its core the PS3/360 crowd are near identical. But just because our flagships are shooters we get a label. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

RE: Bolded--Thank you!  I think you and I have faced off on that topic more times than Ryu and Ken!  I'm worn out, too!!  I can't argue with really anything you posted.

I would like to toss out there that, as much as I love my 360, I just don't know how Microsoft will be able to duplicate their success next gen in comparison to a new Playstation console.  The year's headstart and the bevy of exclusives made the Xbox 360 an enticing machine.  The lack of exclusive franchises as of late is really making me wonder what M$ is thinking.  If PS3 owners and 360 owners share similar tastes (not 100% of the time, but often enough) and both games have nearly identical third party libraries, what is there to draw users to a new Xbox if Microsoft's first party isn't stepping up anymore?  This is pretty off-topic, I guess.

Like I said a few posts ago, I think Microsoft and SONY should try to differentiate themselves from eachother. Microsoft should work with PC developers and create mostly WRPG's and shooters, while also adding new and innovative features to XBL. These are the strongest and most unique aspects of the XBOX 360 and it's something they should build on next generation.

Microsoft buy exclusive rights and content on certain games. Undeniable fact. Diversity would be a little different in a parallel universe.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only reason 360 owners buy so many games is because they are upset with their current library. PS3 owners are satisfied with their current library, that's why they don't buy as many games.

Seriously though, the difference in the consoles demographics comes from their different install base in different regions. The PS3 owners in Americas are the same as X360 owners in Americas. Same for other regions. The difference comes from the fact that the consoles's install base differ in which region they are more powerful.

Americans are more shooter centric than other reasons, so naturally, shooters would sell more on X360. Japan is more JRPG centric than other regions, so naturally, JRPG's will sell more on PS3. Same for EMEAA & racers.

Sony as a company is more diverse with their offerings than MS. That's true, but I don't know if we can use that to conclude that PS3 owners are more diverse than X360 owners. I don't know if we can use games like Heavy Rain to prove that PS3 owners are more diverse, simply because there hasn't been similar games relased on the 360, at least not with similar advertising. Who's to say if Heavy Rain released on X360, with similar advertising, it wouldn't have similar sales?

No way, no how. You'll have some bias people come in here and say "Teh 360z are shooterboxorz" but the evidence is right in front of you.

The 360 pushes an equal or more amount of software of nearly every genre. Both fanbases are pretty much the same people, thats why I'll never understand the lame console bashing that goes down. Litteraly in every way, shape, and sense the people playing the PS3 are the same kind of people that are playing the 360.

didn't read all the post's but i will say this

360 has 12 million more console's sold in america than ps3

that is the reason why shooter's sell so much better on 360 than ps3

but at the same time if you look at other genre's both version's of game's usually sell on par with each other(some even better on ps3) despite that 12 million difference

kinda odd dont you think?

why do 360 user's only buy shooter's but dont buy other genre's that much..