By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 3 Demographic More Diverse Than Xbox 360 Demographic?

enditall727 said:
didn't read all the post's but i will say this

360 has 12 million more console's sold in america than ps3

that is the reason why shooter's sell so much better on 360 than ps3

but at the same time if you look at other genre's both version's of game's usually sell on par with each other(some even better on ps3) despite that 12 million difference

kinda odd dont you think?

why do 360 user's only buy shooter's but dont buy other genre's that much..

*Facepalm*. Maybe you should read the other posts before typing.

Around the Network

Anecdotal evidence, my PS3 game library:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/81288/livingmetal/games/list/ps3/all/1/#content

The "rest" of my library:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/81288/livingmetal/games/collection/#content

=Diversity/Variety.

Cirio said:
enditall727 said:
didn't read all the post's but i will say this

360 has 12 million more console's sold in america than ps3

that is the reason why shooter's sell so much better on 360 than ps3

but at the same time if you look at other genre's both version's of game's usually sell on par with each other(some even better on ps3) despite that 12 million difference

kinda odd dont you think?

why do 360 user's only buy shooter's but dont buy other genre's that much..

*Facepalm*. Maybe you should read the other posts before typing.

..that wasn't a question.. -_-

sales2099 said:
Yet COD is still the best selling franchise on PS3........

Its BS. If a PS3 multiplat outsells the 360, its due to Japan.

Fact is 360 gamers are just as diverse, but we know what we want. Shooters are the favourite. PS3 gamers on the other hand dont know what they want

You can be diverse and have preference at the same time.

LOL that's like saying "if a 360 multiplat outsells the ps3,it's due to America"

it's true but dont forget that it goes both way's

No offense but none of the analysis I've seen in this thread proves much...

All you need are 2 pie charts, one for PS3 one for X360. Each pie chart should show the % sales of each genres for the specific console. A bar graph would work too. That'll be an easy way to show the distribution of genres between each console.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:
CGI-Quality said:
I think the PlayStation crew has different tastes than either Microsoft or Nintendo, which is why titles like HEAVY RAIN & Flower are such hits on the system. Whether or not they're more diverse is up for debate, but the games Sony releases in conjunction with Microsoft or Nintendo, I feel, are more varied, which then leads to the presumption that PlayStation gamers are more diverse. This gen, PS3 and 360 owners are closer in likeness than PS2/Xbox gamers were (which is actually an issue for PlayStation given that Microsoft did their best to keep the 360 as similar to PS3 in titles as they could, which was a brilliant strategy that allowed for much more headway). I, personally, think it's bad for the industry, but that's for another topic and something I don't want to debate on at this moment (especially since it would be for the umpteenth time).

Next gen, all Sony needs to do is keep their varied line-up strong and the woes of the PS3 will be just memories. Right now, I'd say it's the PS3's line-up that's a bit more varied, but the user-bases between PS3/360 are fairly similar (even though they often have different buying trends).

RE: Bolded--Thank you!  I think you and I have faced off on that topic more times than Ryu and Ken!  I'm worn out, too!!  I can't argue with really anything you posted.

I would like to toss out there that, as much as I love my 360, I just don't know how Microsoft will be able to duplicate their success next gen in comparison to a new Playstation console.  The year's headstart and the bevy of exclusives made the Xbox 360 an enticing machine.  The lack of exclusive franchises as of late is really making me wonder what M$ is thinking.  If PS3 owners and 360 owners share similar tastes (not 100% of the time, but often enough) and both games have nearly identical third party libraries, what is there to draw users to a new Xbox if Microsoft's first party isn't stepping up anymore?  This is pretty off-topic, I guess.

Pretty much all Microsoft needs to do is some investing. If they start the next gen off the way this gen is currently, they could be in a world of trouble. Then again, 3rd party companies are now comfortable enough with Microsoft that I can see an exclusive game/IP thrown their way, Kinect "2.0" will exist, and system sellers like Gears and Halo can pick up the rest of the slack. Unless the PS4 is the next PS2, Microsoft will probably be able to chug along just like that, maybe even keep the PlayStation behind again, at least for a while.

yea but Bungie isnt doing Halo anymore so we will have to see

Gear's of war is basically confirmed multiplat after gears 3. I remember reading something on here about what Cliff Blezinski said. he basically said microsoft had to sit down with them and tell them why they should go with microsoft again(making gear's 3 360 exclusive 1 last time)

and Valve has basically gone multiplatform now so Left 4 dead 3 will most likely be multiplat

and i know MystWalker isnt working with microsoft anymore(the people who did Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon)ESPECIALLY now that 360 is being fazed out by retailer's in Japan. they were supposed to release 1 last rpg on 360 but they cancelled it and went on to make a wii title(Last Story)

i think this gen will be the best microsoft ever does against sony. i mean you are now seeing sony actually fight back(exclusive content for multiplat game's and what not)

i just dont see what microsoft could possibly do next gen

d21lewis said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
For comparison's sake:

X360 TOP 50:

Shooter: 16
WRPG: 9
Sports: 7
Sandbox: 5
Music: 4
Action-Adventure: 4 (included Lego games here, not sure)
Racer: 3
Platform:1
Motion control: 1

TOP 50 PS3

Sports: 10
Shooter: 10
Racer: 6
Sandbox: 5
Stealth: 1
Action-Adventure: 5
WRPG: 3
Platform: 2
Hack n' Slash: 2
Fighter: 2
JRPG: 1
Music: 1
Interactive drama: 1
Motion control: 1

X360 has 9 categories, PS3 14.
X360 has a 32% shooters, PS3 20%.

So I would say it's true that PS3 owners have more varied tastes, though as I said much of this can be attributed at the PS3 having a more evenly distributed install base.

I don't have the top 50 list in front of me so I'm just guessing at this but:  I don't think it's as clear cut as this makes it look.  I'm sure that if you look at the games available on both consoles, there's a pretty good chance that the 360 counterparts outsold their PS3 counterparts.  Games like Alan Wake, Viva Pinata, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Bayonetta, and such did very well on the 360.  It's just that the 360 had so many games in the shooter genre that end up doing sooo much better (again, multiple entries in the Halo and Gears series--both very good series) tend to crowd out other games and genres.

All fighting games sell better on the PS3

All JRPG sell better on the PS3 (when are relased at the same time on both consoles)

"unique/rare" games sell better on the PS3 (Heavy Rain outsold Alan Wake)

All action-adventure games sell better onthe PS3  (with the exception of ninja gaiden because it was released first in Xbox)

Most racing games sell better on the PS3 (need for speed, burnout, split second)

And if you consider that the PS3 has a smaller userbase then it means that PS3 users dont like FPS an TPS as much as 360 owners.       If you consider that most PS3 users owned a PS2, it has some logic.   PS2 was king because you can find in the system all kind of games.

Now an off-topic thing:    The sad thing is that in this generation mostly all developers make FPS in order to increase revenue; so there are not a great variaty of games out there.   And I think that PS3 exclusives are filling those "gaming holes", making it the reason why Sony is outselling the other 2 WW.    The purpose of Sony´s 1st party games is to sell more consoles, and not just the game itself.  Sony is trying to attract all the PS2 userbase with the variety of games they offer.     If you think about it the only companies that do Big budget plataforming games are Sony and nintendo. 

I think that all the things Sony is doing right now with their first party studios, will be of great advantage for them when the PS4 releases.

Heavenly_King said:

1. All fighting games sell better on the PS3

2. All JRPG sell better on the PS3 (when are relased at the same time on both consoles)

3. "unique/rare" games sell better on the PS3 (Heavy Rain outsold Alan Wake)

4. All action-adventure games sell better onthe PS3  (with the exception of ninja gaiden because it was released first in Xbox)

Most racing games sell better on the PS3 (need for speed, burnout, split second)

And if you consider that the PS3 has a smaller userbase then it means that PS3 users dont like FPS an TPS as much as 360 owners.       If you consider that most PS3 users owned a PS2, it has some logic.   PS2 was king because you can find in the system all kind of games.

1.  Soul Calibur 4: 360/1.43m PS3/1.21 

2. I'm actually having a tough time coming up with a JRPG that released at the same time besides FF13.  Usually, the 360 gets it first and then the PS3 gets it with bonus features.

3.  Heavy Rain outsold Alan Wake.....but Alan Wake was basically a Silent Hill with a big dose of Resident Evil.  It wasn't a cinematic game like Heavy Rain.  One could argue that L.A. Noire was, though (sales of L.A. Noire virtually identical on both platforms). 

4. & 5. Seem pretty accurate.

At the same time, when I actually looked at the totals, it seems that many games in these four genres appear to do pretty good in sales (often better than the PS3 version) but get a huge boost from Japan and EMAA.  So, where the 360 dominates, it sells more games.  Where the PS3 dominates, it sells more games.  Who would have known?  Also, you named five genres (If you count "unique games" as a genre.).  Since Heavy Rain is an exclusive, how can we compare its sales when there is no 360 counterpart (Alan Wake is definitely no Heavy Rain)?  What about Sports, Sandbox, Party, Music, etc?  What about Kinect vs. Move?  What about downloadable games?  What about action adventure games that aren't fast paced hack and slashers like Bayonetta?  What about adventure games. WRPG's, or Survival Horror?  If 360 wins or competes in all of these other genres then how can you stand by your stereotype?

And for the off topic thing, the Xbox only sold 24 million consoles in its lifetime.  The Xbox 360 has sold over 55 million consoles so far.  Do you think it's possible that at least some of the people that bought an Xbox 360 are people that didn't own an original Xbox (like me)?  Do you think it's possible that some of them may have been PS2 owners and brought their diverse tastes in games with them (again, like me)?

We could debate how well Sony's exclusives have done when it comes to selling PS3's but that would be off topic.  I'll just refer to a quote I read in the latest issue of Game Informer.  It said that "Console ales in the last three months of the year are equal to or greater than the other nine months combined."  Something to think about.  A console could sell well all year long and then get beaten out for the year just because of the Holiday Season.  Hmm....

d21lewis said:
Heavenly_King said:

2. All JRPG sell better on the PS3 (when are relased at the same time on both consoles)

4. All action-adventure games sell better onthe PS3  (with the exception of ninja gaiden because it was released first in Xbox)

2. I'm actually having a tough time coming up with a JRPG that released at the same time besides FF13.  Usually, the 360 gets it first and then the PS3 gets it with bonus features.

3.  Heavy Rain outsold Alan Wake.....but Alan Wake was basically a Silent Hill with a big dose of Resident Evil.  It wasn't a cinematic game like Heavy Rain.  One could argue that L.A. Noire was, though (sales of L.A. Noire virtually identical on both platforms). 

At the same time, when I actually looked at the totals, it seems that many games in these four genres appear to do pretty good in sales (often better than the PS3 version) but get a huge boost from Japan and EMAA.  So, where the 360 dominates, it sells more games.  Where the PS3 dominates, it sells more games.  Who would have known?  Also, you named five genres (If you count "unique games" as a genre.).  Since Heavy Rain is an exclusive, how can we compare its sales when there is no 360 counterpart (Alan Wake is definitely no Heavy Rain)?  What about Sports, Sandbox, Party, Music, etc?  What about Kinect vs. Move?  What about downloadable games?  What about action adventure games that aren't fast paced hack and slashers like Bayonetta?  What about adventure games. WRPG's, or Survival Horror?  If 360 wins or competes in all of these other genres then how can you stand by your stereotype?

And for the off topic thing, the Xbox only sold 24 million consoles in its lifetime.  The Xbox 360 has sold over 55 million consoles so far.  Do you think it's possible that at least some of the people that bought an Xbox 360 are people that didn't own an original Xbox (like me)?  Do you think it's possible that some of them may have been PS2 owners and brought their diverse tastes in games with them (again, like me)?

We could debate how well Sony's exclusives have done when it comes to selling PS3's but that would be off topic.  I'll just refer to a quote I read in the latest issue of Game Informer.  It said that "Console ales in the last three months of the year are equal to or greater than the other nine months combined."  Something to think about.  A console could sell well all year long and then get beaten out for the year just because of the Holiday Season.  Hmm....

Final Fantasy 13,Resonance Of Fate and Record Of Agarest War Zero

microsoft made sure to snatch up every other JRPG that came out with that "12 month 360 exclusive" thing they do to make it look like the 360 sell's jrpg's better than ps3

d21lewis said:
Heavenly_King said:

Ok, so not every fighting sells better on PS3, just the 90% :D   (I think that is because the PS3 at that time had a quite small userbase)

Most sports game are based on US sports, so if the 360 has a bigger userbase there (12M more), that version will sell more obviously :D.   But if a sports game is based on a sport that is popular everywhere with the exception of the US, then the PS3 version sells more.   Yeah you can say that because the PS3 is more popular everywhere with exception of the US, so it outsells the 360 version, but if that was a valid argument, the 360 should outsell the PS3 version of madden by 1-5M (the 360 has 12M more user in US), and yet the difference is only 500K.  Meanwhile with FIFA the PS3 version outsell the 360 version 1M+, only having a user base 3M bigger.

What I was referring by "unique genre" it is considering the console it is released.    Heavy is quite a unique game for the PS3; and Alan wake is quite a unique game for the 360, (I dont think that the 360 has any other game like that); and Heavy Rain sold more.   I can bet that if a PS3 version of Alan Wake was released for the PS3 at the same time as the 360, the PS3 would have sold more.

the PS3 version of Resident  Evil 5 sold more than the 360 version without counting Japan, so if you only count only those 2 groups, the difference in users is about 9M favoring the 360, and yet it sold 300M less than the PS3 version.

Darksiders is a game I would consider that it is slow paced comparing it to Bayonneta, and yet it sold more on the PS3 (having the 360 9M more users, japan doesnt count).

Prototype is the only action-adventure game that sold better in the 360, but that was because PS3 users had also as a choice at that time Infamous 1, and it almost outsold the 2 versions of prototype.

WRPG sell better I think because 360 owners are more acquanted with Bioware and bethesda (I know it sounds kind of silly but in the first Xbox, gamers had Elder Scrolls, Jade empire, and Kotor I, II).     And yet if you think about it considering that the 360 outsells the PS3 in 9M users the diference is not so big.   DAMN!! Even in Shooters the difference is not so big, considering that the 360 has 9M more users.

So in other words I think that PS3 owners have more diverse taste and also are more willing to give it a chance to some games that may be quite "unique ;D