By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies that have made a Profit and Movies that do Not> THREAD.Evil Dead series and the Star Trek Movies:

Tagged games:

What impresses me most is when a movie has relatively small budget (less then $20 million) and makes a lot of money and gets critical and public acclaim like Slumdog Millionaire, March of the Penguins, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Letters from Iwo Jima just to name a few.

Around the Network

"According to Boxofficemojo on average studios earn back about 55 percent of a movies earning from studios".
How about DVD/BR, how much % studios earn?

The Terminator made a crapton of money. It wasn't just in the box office gross, but the fact that the movie still plays rather often today on TV. That means royalties. They made video games, arcade games, comic books and toys from the 1st and 2nd movies, which also means a lot of residual income. May not be able to track it, but think about how often you see DVDs and such available. They're there because they still sell.

I'd imagine that T-1 has probably made around $500m or greater just in royalties, ect.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Chris Hu said:
What impresses me most is when a movie has relatively small budget (less then $20 million) and makes a lot of money and gets critical and public acclaim like Slumdog Millionaire, March of the Penguins, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Letters from Iwo Jima just to name a few.

Halloween – 1978
ESTIMATED BUDGET: $320,000

Often credited with starting the “slasher” genre, John Carpenter’s Halloween is one of the most financially successful films ever made. Produced on a shoe-string budget, this babysitting job gone wrong went on to gross $60 million worldwide (which is the equivalent of $203 million today). In 2006, it was selected for preservation by the United States Film Registry and the Library of Congress for being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” Not too shabby for a horror film with a spray painted Captain Kirk Halloween mask.

Blair Witch Project 22,000 made over 250 million worldwide!

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

ruimartiniman said:

"According to Boxofficemojo on average studios earn back about 55 percent of a movies earning from studios".

Given cost of goods sold + retail markup, your looking at about a 50/50 split. More for the studio if your adding in extra editions and collections that increase the sale price without increasing the amount of goods significantly (think Star Trek Boxed Set or something of that nature).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
The Terminator made a crapton of money. It wasn't just in the box office gross, but the fact that the movie still plays rather often today on TV. That means royalties. They made video games, arcade games, comic books and toys from the 1st and 2nd movies, which also means a lot of residual income. May not be able to track it, but think about how often you see DVDs and such available. They're there because they still sell.

I'd imagine that T-1 has probably made around $500m or greater just in royalties, ect.

You are right! So many DVD's, VHS, Blue ray, etc. year after year. Then every country times 3 times a year on 5-10 television stations, digital sales, the merchandise you mentioned! That series is a beast! James CAmeron probably easily lives off royalties on all his projects!

Plus whenever I go through every country on the boxofficemojo site I end up seeing some movie that came out months or even years before finally make it to another territory! So even when you think these movie have stopped they keep on coming. Recently there have been a lot of re-releases of movies in other countries too. Metropolis was one of them.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

mrstickball said:
ruimartiniman said:

Given cost of goods sold + retail markup, your looking at about a 50/50 split. More for the studio if your adding in extra editions and collections that increase the sale price without increasing the amount of goods significantly (think Star Trek Boxed Set or something of that nature).

Agreed! Let's see what Star Wars on Blue Ray pushes out in the coming weeks. Whatever it is, will be more money for George to make Howard the Duck 2...starring Ron Howard.

Yea, horror movies seems to be the real standout when it comes to super low investments on rare occasion coming out as massively profitable movies. Blair Witch Project, Halloween, Paranormal Activity (I'm sure there is more).

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Baalzamon said:
Yea, horror movies seems to be the real standout when it comes to super low investments on rare occasion coming out as massively profitable movies. Blair Witch Project, Halloween, Paranormal Activity (I'm sure there is more).

Leprachaun: Back to the Hood! Had to add it.

spurgeonryan said:
Chris Hu said:

Halloween – 1978
ESTIMATED BUDGET: $320,000

Often credited with starting the “slasher” genre, John Carpenter’s Halloween is one of the most financially successful films ever made. Produced on a shoe-string budget, this babysitting job gone wrong went on to gross $60 million worldwide (which is the equivalent of $203 million today). In 2006, it was selected for preservation by the United States Film Registry and the Library of Congress for being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” Not too shabby for a horror film with a spray painted Captain Kirk Halloween mask.

Blair Witch Project 22,000 made over 250 million worldwide!

Paranormal Activity is more impressive imo

Production Budget: $15,000

Worldwide: $193,355,800

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=paranormalactivity.htm