By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies that have made a Profit and Movies that do Not> THREAD.Evil Dead series and the Star Trek Movies:

Tagged games:

Mordred11 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Boutros said:

Paranormal Activity is more impressive imo

Production Budget: $15,000

Worldwide: $193,355,800

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=paranormalactivity.htm

That is a great example! Even the second one made a ton on a small budget of 3 million I believe?

DVD sales says $16,624,990! I do not know if that includes Blue Ray and it def. does not include the second one.

You guys are seeming to forget the marketing costs.The advertising budget for PA is most likely much bigger than it's whole production budget.

Green Lantern.It has a 200M$ production cost + an estimated 100M$(!) marketing budget.

The movie hasn't even reached 200M worldwide,I think it's Warner Bros.'s biggest flop in a loooong time.Even bigger than Jonah Hex http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jonahhex.htm

I remember watching some behind the scenes videos for the sequel and they said the original PA had a budget of $30,000. I'm guessing that was after advertising costs and what not.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

i'll keep checking back

Chris Hu said:
The biggest flop so far this year is Mars Needs Moms which had a production budget of $150million dollars and only made $39.5 at the box office.

indeed it is.completely forgot about it,that shows just how much it bombed ,no one knows about it.It's a shame really,if a movie like JB:Never say Never can make 98M$...

I'm probably gooing to piss off alot of "Twilight" haters but so far the three first movies with a total of 155 million budget have earned 1.75 billion at the boxoffice wonder how much it has earned aswell with DvD/BD sales :)

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Goddbless said:
Mordred11 said:

You guys are seeming to forget the marketing costs.The advertising budget for PA is most likely much bigger than it's whole production budget.

Green Lantern.It has a 200M$ production cost + an estimated 100M$(!) marketing budget.

The movie hasn't even reached 200M worldwide,I think it's Warner Bros.'s biggest flop in a loooong time.Even bigger than Jonah Hex http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jonahhex.htm

I remember watching some behind the scenes videos for the sequel and they said the original PA had a budget of $30,000. I'm guessing that was after advertising costs and what not.

There is no way advertising costs were $30,000 for PA. It had a massive PR campaign about it being the scariest movie ever.

Furthermore, the rights to PA were purchased for between $1-3 million USD. The real budget for PA, post-advertising was approximately $20 million dollars, give or take. Also remember that certain scenes in PA were re-shot after its aquisition.

Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to take away from the massive success of PA. The movie was phenominal, and I loved the 2nd one as well. But the issue is that costs on such movies after the filming can be pretty crazy when you add marketing in.

Another recent mega-hit in the horror department was Insidious. $1.5 million production budget, and has made $93 million USD worldwide and is still in theaters in Europe. I don't remember it having near the PR and advertisments, so the total cost was likely pretty low. Great movie, too.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

Another recent mega-hit in the horror department was Insidious. $1.5 million production budget, and has made $93 million USD worldwide and is still in theaters in Europe. I don't remember it having near the PR and advertisments, so the total cost was likely pretty low. Great movie, too.

Insidious had a god-like run.You could say it is a freak of the box office,no one expected it to perform as it did.

mrstickball said:
Goddbless said:
Mordred11 said:

There is no way advertising costs were $30,000 for PA. It had a massive PR campaign about it being the scariest movie ever.

Furthermore, the rights to PA were purchased for between $1-3 million USD. The real budget for PA, post-advertising was approximately $20 million dollars, give or take. Also remember that certain scenes in PA were re-shot after its aquisition.

Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to take away from the massive success of PA. The movie was phenominal, and I loved the 2nd one as well. But the issue is that costs on such movies after the filming can be pretty crazy when you add marketing in.

Actually, according to Wikipedia, Paramount bought the domestic rights for Paranormal Activity, as well as international rights to any sequels, for $350,000.

The budget, which people will say is anywhere between $15,000-$30,000 was the original budget simply for shooting the film for Screamfest I believe.  There were some changes, as well as quite a bit of advertising after it was purchased by Paramount.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Baalzamon said:
mrstickball said:
Goddbless said:
Mordred11 said:

Actually, according to Wikipedia, Paramount bought the domestic rights for Paranormal Activity, as well as international rights to any sequels, for $350,000.

The budget, which people will say is anywhere between $15,000-$30,000 was the original budget simply for shooting the film for Screamfest I believe.  There were some changes, as well as quite a bit of advertising after it was purchased by Paramount.

Ah, my bad. I thought it was in the $1m range.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

spurgeonryan said:
Ok well lets agree that these movies made a boat load of money. I do remember seeing quite a bit of ads for PA . wasn't it vote for this movie so it can be shown in your theater or something? Or it had a picture of the audience cringing as the ghoul took people away? But who owns paramount? Any television stations? I know Fox will just do a ton on their own stations, which they have a few, as does Disney!

Paramount is owned by Viacom

spurgeonryan said:
Ok well lets agree that these movies made a boat load of money. I do remember seeing quite a bit of ads for PA . wasn't it vote for this movie so it can be shown in your theater or something? Or it had a picture of the audience cringing as the ghoul took people away? But who owns paramount? Any television stations? I know Fox will just do a ton on their own stations, which they have a few, as does Disney!

Thing is, even if you advertise on your own stations, odds are you are still going to report it as a cost, so you can write it off for how much profit you made on the movie.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.