By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies that have made a Profit and Movies that do Not> THREAD.Evil Dead series and the Star Trek Movies:

Tagged games:

spurgeonryan said:
ruimartiniman said:
Have you got numbers from Terminator series, besides those on Box Office Mojo?

Production Budget $6,400,000 for the first movie.

It seemed to have come out in West Germany:$2,556,459 (West Germany) ( 1985)

Then Germany in 1991 and 85, kind of interesting since they were two different entities at the time!$436,055 (Germany) ( 1991)
$2,992,514 (Germany)

Each movie had a game, plus there was other spin offs including RoboCop vs. the Terminator.

Terminator Salvation probably broke even in the theaters, although the 200 million budget probably had a sizeable ad campaign as well. Here is the DVD sales.

Released on DVD: December 1, 2009
DVD Units Sold: 2,350,332
Consumer Spending: $29,669,511
Production Budget $200,000,000
MPAA Rating PG-13 For intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and language
International Distribution Rights (Sony): $100,000,000
US Distribution Rights (Warner Bros.): $60,000,000

Sorry for the bad editing, but the production budget down is all the cost that the last movie incurred while in theaters! Maybe it didn't do as good as we though!

The Tv show has shown in  many countries:

Country Network
 Argentina Warner Channel
Australia FOX8
 Austria ORF1
 Belarus Channel One
Belgium 2BE
 Bolivia Warner Channel
Brazil Warner Channel, SBT
Brunei STAR World
Bulgaria Nova Television
Cambodia STAR World
Canada Space
 Chile Warner Channel
 Colombia Warner Channel
 Costa Rica Warner Channel
Cyprus LTV
Czech Republic Prima Cool
Denmark Kanal 4
 Dominican Republic Warner Channel
 Ecuador Warner Channel
 El Salvador Warner Channel
Estonia Kanal 11
Finland MTV3
France M6
Germany Sat.1
Greece Star Channel
 Guatemala Warner Channel
 Honduras Warner Channel
 Hong Kong STAR World
Hungary RTL Klub
 Iceland Stöð 2
India Zee Café
 Indonesia STAR World
Ireland RTÉ Two
Israel HOT Zone
Italy Steel, Italia 1
Japan WOWOW
 Kazakhstan Channel One
 Kenya Kenya Television Network
 Latvia TV3
 Lithuania TV3
Macedonia A1
Malaysia STAR World
 Mexico Warner Channel
Netherlands Veronica
 New Zealand TV 2
 Nicaragua Warner Channel
Norway TVNorge
 Pakistan STAR World
 Panama Warner Channel
 Paraguay Warner Channel
 Peru Warner Channel
 Philippines Jack TV
Studio 23
Poland TVN (Poland)
Portugal RTP2
 Puerto Rico Warner Channel
Romania Pro TV, PRO Cinema
Russia Channel One
Serbia TV Avala
 Singapore STAR World
Slovenia Kanal A
South Africa M-net
Spain Fox
Sweden Kanal 5
 Taiwan STAR World
 Thailand STAR World
Turkey CNBC-e
Ukraine 1+1
Inter
United Arab Emirates Fox Series
OSN First
United Kingdom Virgin 1
United States Fox
Syfy
 Uruguay Warner Channel
Saeta TV
 Venezuela Warner Channel

Thank you so much. 

Around the Network

What impresses me most is when a movie has relatively small budget (less then $20 million) and makes a lot of money and gets critical and public acclaim like Slumdog Millionaire, March of the Penguins, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Letters from Iwo Jima just to name a few.

"According to Boxofficemojo on average studios earn back about 55 percent of a movies earning from studios".
How about DVD/BR, how much % studios earn?

The Terminator made a crapton of money. It wasn't just in the box office gross, but the fact that the movie still plays rather often today on TV. That means royalties. They made video games, arcade games, comic books and toys from the 1st and 2nd movies, which also means a lot of residual income. May not be able to track it, but think about how often you see DVDs and such available. They're there because they still sell.

I'd imagine that T-1 has probably made around $500m or greater just in royalties, ect.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

ruimartiniman said:

"According to Boxofficemojo on average studios earn back about 55 percent of a movies earning from studios".
How about DVD/BR, how much % studios earn?

Given cost of goods sold + retail markup, your looking at about a 50/50 split. More for the studio if your adding in extra editions and collections that increase the sale price without increasing the amount of goods significantly (think Star Trek Boxed Set or something of that nature).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Yea, horror movies seems to be the real standout when it comes to super low investments on rare occasion coming out as massively profitable movies. Blair Witch Project, Halloween, Paranormal Activity (I'm sure there is more).

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

spurgeonryan said:
Chris Hu said:
What impresses me most is when a movie has relatively small budget (less then $20 million) and makes a lot of money and gets critical and public acclaim like Slumdog Millionaire, March of the Penguins, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Letters from Iwo Jima just to name a few.

Halloween – 1978
ESTIMATED BUDGET: $320,000

Often credited with starting the “slasher” genre, John Carpenter’s Halloween is one of the most financially successful films ever made. Produced on a shoe-string budget, this babysitting job gone wrong went on to gross $60 million worldwide (which is the equivalent of $203 million today). In 2006, it was selected for preservation by the United States Film Registry and the Library of Congress for being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” Not too shabby for a horror film with a spray painted Captain Kirk Halloween mask.

Blair Witch Project 22,000 made over 250 million worldwide!

Paranormal Activity is more impressive imo

Production Budget: $15,000

Worldwide: $193,355,800

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=paranormalactivity.htm

spurgeonryan said:
Boutros said:

Paranormal Activity is more impressive imo

Production Budget: $15,000

Worldwide: $193,355,800

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=paranormalactivity.htm

That is a great example! Even the second one made a ton on a small budget of 3 million I believe?

DVD sales says $16,624,990! I do not know if that includes Blue Ray and it def. does not include the second one.

You guys are seeming to forget the marketing costs.The advertising budget for PA is most likely much bigger than it's whole production budget.

Green Lantern.It has a 200M$ production cost + an estimated 100M$(!) marketing budget.

The movie hasn't even reached 200M worldwide,I think it's Warner Bros.'s biggest flop in a loooong time.Even bigger than Jonah Hex http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jonahhex.htm

spurgeonryan said:

I agree! It is usually Universal that is making movies that fail (with some exceptions of course), but The Green Lantern just did horrible! Watchmen was another one from them that did lousy. I am still hoping for Lantern to at least push past 200 million worldwide in the end. I do not think it hit Japan or China yet where it could still be saved once summer is over.

Too bad superheroe movies tend to do horrible over there,especially the bad ones,heh.Even The dark Knight,which is the biggest superheroe movie ever in terms of popularity and recognition,could barely manage 14M$ in Japan.

As an example,POTC 4 has recently done over 108M$ over there,and DH2 has gathered over 96M$

The biggest flop so far this year is Mars Needs Moms which had a production budget of $150million dollars and only made $39.5 at the box office.