By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies that have made a Profit and Movies that do Not> THREAD.Evil Dead series and the Star Trek Movies:

Tagged games:

Boutros said:
spurgeonryan said:
Chris Hu said:
What impresses me most is when a movie has relatively small budget (less then $20 million) and makes a lot of money and gets critical and public acclaim like Slumdog Millionaire, March of the Penguins, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Letters from Iwo Jima just to name a few.

Halloween – 1978
ESTIMATED BUDGET: $320,000

Often credited with starting the “slasher” genre, John Carpenter’s Halloween is one of the most financially successful films ever made. Produced on a shoe-string budget, this babysitting job gone wrong went on to gross $60 million worldwide (which is the equivalent of $203 million today). In 2006, it was selected for preservation by the United States Film Registry and the Library of Congress for being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” Not too shabby for a horror film with a spray painted Captain Kirk Halloween mask.

Blair Witch Project 22,000 made over 250 million worldwide!

Paranormal Activity is more impressive imo

Production Budget: $15,000

Worldwide: $193,355,800

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=paranormalactivity.htm

That is a great example! Even the second one made a ton on a small budget of 3 million I believe?

DVD sales says $16,624,990! I do not know if that includes Blue Ray and it def. does not include the second one.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Boutros said:

That is a great example! Even the second one made a ton on a small budget of 3 million I believe?

DVD sales says $16,624,990! I do not know if that includes Blue Ray and it def. does not include the second one.

You guys are seeming to forget the marketing costs.The advertising budget for PA is most likely much bigger than it's whole production budget.

Green Lantern.It has a 200M$ production cost + an estimated 100M$(!) marketing budget.

The movie hasn't even reached 200M worldwide,I think it's Warner Bros.'s biggest flop in a loooong time.Even bigger than Jonah Hex http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jonahhex.htm

Mordred11 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Boutros said:

You guys are seeming to forget the marketing costs.The advertising budget for PA is most likely much bigger than it's whole production budget.

Green Lantern.It has a 200M$ production cost + an estimated 100M$(!) marketing budget.

The movie hasn't even reached 200M worlwide,I think it's Warner Bros.'s biggest flop in a loooong time.

I agree! It is usually Universal that is making movies that fail (with some exceptions of course), but The Green Lantern just did horrible! Watchmen was another one from them that did lousy. I am still hoping for Lantern to at least push past 200 million worldwide in the end. I do not think it hit Japan or China yet where it could still be saved once summer is over.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

spurgeonryan said:

I agree! It is usually Universal that is making movies that fail (with some exceptions of course), but The Green Lantern just did horrible! Watchmen was another one from them that did lousy. I am still hoping for Lantern to at least push past 200 million worldwide in the end. I do not think it hit Japan or China yet where it could still be saved once summer is over.

Too bad superheroe movies tend to do horrible over there,especially the bad ones,heh.Even The dark Knight,which is the biggest superheroe movie ever in terms of popularity and recognition,could barely manage 14M$ in Japan.

As an example,POTC 4 has recently done over 108M$ over there,and DH2 has gathered over 96M$

The biggest flop so far this year is Mars Needs Moms which had a production budget of $150million dollars and only made $39.5 at the box office.

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Boutros said:

The movie hasn't even reached 200M worldwide,I think it's Warner Bros.'s biggest flop in a loooong time.Even bigger than Jonah Hex http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jonahhex.htm

I remember watching some behind the scenes videos for the sequel and they said the original PA had a budget of $30,000. I'm guessing that was after advertising costs and what not.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

i'll keep checking back

Chris Hu said:
The biggest flop so far this year is Mars Needs Moms which had a production budget of $150million dollars and only made $39.5 at the box office.

indeed it is.completely forgot about it,that shows just how much it bombed ,no one knows about it.It's a shame really,if a movie like JB:Never say Never can make 98M$...

I'm probably gooing to piss off alot of "Twilight" haters but so far the three first movies with a total of 155 million budget have earned 1.75 billion at the boxoffice wonder how much it has earned aswell with DvD/BD sales :)

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
I'm probably gooing to piss off alot of "Twilight" haters but so far the three first movies with a total of 155 million budget have earned 1.75 billion at the boxoffice wonder how much it has earned aswell with DvD/BD sales :)

Could someone compare that with the HP movies :Ð?