By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies that have made a Profit and Movies that do Not> THREAD.Evil Dead series and the Star Trek Movies:

Tagged games:

spurgeonryan said:
binary solo said:
My prediction: Conan the Barbarian will never make a profit, not unless it makes cultish "so bad it's good" status. Unfortunately I don't think it's in that league.

I think they put too much money into it for it to make that status. I do not know what LGF was thinking when they made the budget for it, other thanmaybe they thought they would catch the 300 crowd?

I think you're right. But so bad it's good is their only chance to minimise their losses. Big budget looks can still be "saved" by poor acting and a cheesy script. But I know I'll never watch it.

See, what Conan did wrong Season of the Witch did right, still rather a crap movie but: $40 million budget $90 million box office. That means with DVD sales and rentals the movie will make the studio a small profit.

And another Nick Cage shitfest (and ruination of one pf my favourite super heroes) also did well enough for them to piss on the shitfest they made by making a sequel: Ghost Rider. It had a really big budget ($110 million) but the non-US box office made sure it reached profit (with DVD sales and rental).

The Help by contrast with $25 million budget and $162 million box office, and bugger all marketing budget AFAIK is an absolute gold mine. ANd I'm really glad that kmovie has done well. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I was glad to see Paul make it's money back. I wanted to see it at the theatre but never got the time and it had a fairly short theatrical run here.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

It's amazing how well the Saw films did. Every one of them made a huge profit, despite mostly negative reviews from critics.

Saw:
Budget: $1.2 million
Box office: $102 million.

Saw II:
Budget: $4 million
Box office: $147.7 million

Saw III
Budget: $10 million
Box office: $164.8 million

Saw IV
Budget: $10 million
Box office: $139 million

Saw V
Budget: $10.8 million
Box office: $113.8 million

Saw VI
Budget: $11 million
Box Office: $68.2 million

Saw 3D
Budget: $17 million
Box Office: $136.1 million

Thats $858 million at the box office for the series. Then there's comic books, toys, video games, amusement park rides, clothing, and the soundtracks.

Very impressive. Makes you wonder what they could have done had the story/direction of the films actually made some sense.

spurgeonryan said:
binary solo said:
spurgeonryan said:
binary solo said:
My prediction: Conan the Barbarian will never make a profit, not unless it makes cultish "so bad it's good" status. Unfortunately I don't think it's in that league.

I think they put too much money into it for it to make that status. I do not know what LGF was thinking when they made the budget for it, other thanmaybe they thought they would catch the 300 crowd?

I think you're right. But so bad it's good is their only chance to minimise their losses. Big budget looks can still be "saved" by poor acting and a cheesy script. But I know I'll never watch it.

See, what Conan did wrong Season of the Witch did right, still rather a crap movie but: $40 million budget $90 million box office. That means with DVD sales and rentals the movie will make the studio a small profit.

And another Nick Cage shitfest (and ruination of one pf my favourite super heroes) also did well enough for them to piss on the shitfest they made by making a sequel: Ghost Rider. It had a really big budget ($110 million) but the non-US box office made sure it reached profit (with DVD sales and rental).

The Help by contrast with $25 million budget and $162 million box office, and bugger all marketing budget AFAIK is an absolute gold mine. ANd I'm really glad that kmovie has done well. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I was glad to see Paul make it's money back. I wanted to see it at the theatre but never got the time and it had a fairly short theatrical run here.

Even if I illegally downloaded conan for free I probably would not watch it. I used to be into watching mediocre movies but not anymore.

The help wasnt a surprise, but after its first weekend turning into this eventually it is now a surprise to me!

Paul I was waiting and hoping it would finally make profit. I dont think it broke technically even here in America, but it did well enough over seas to do well. Ofcourse for me it is an overseas movie so I guess that was the point.

It will be interesting to see if Moneyball can have any sort of hold, since baseball wont get much money other than from latin america I think? But Mexico and Brazil have become big players in the international box off ice so maybe that will be enough for that movie.

Quite funny really about baseball movies. I'm no fan of baseball but I've watched plenty of baseball movies. From the Bad News Bears to Bull Durham. Moneyball sounds great. Getting great reviews and I have a mancrush on Brad Pitt.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

spurgeonryan said:
Sanctum

Domestic Total Gross: $23,209,310
Distributor: Universal Release Date: February 4, 2011
Genre: Thriller Runtime: 1 hrs. 43 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: $30 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $23,209,310 22.7%
+ Foreign: $79,204,105 77.3%
= Worldwide: $102,413,415

That movie did well!

Just hit Japan this past week. So it has some more to go and that is just at the boxoffice!

Huh. I thought it was rather predictable and quite ordinary. You knew right from the start who was going to die, and more or less in what order, and who would be the sole survivor. I think the James Cameron name drop as producer was all that really got people along to this movie. Glad I only saw it on DVD.

Jimi Hendrix

I'm sure some will gripe about this, but Sherwood pictures have made huge bank. They're a Christian film company known for movies like Fireproof and Facing the Giants.

Courageous just came out this weekend - it grossed $8.8 million USD on a $2 million USD budget... From just 1,100 theaters.

Their last movie, Fireproof, cost just $500,000 to make and grossed $33 million USD. That didn't include their book study series that went along with the movie which likely pulled in as much as the box-office run.. Its FIRST WEEK at DVD sold over 500,000 units, en-route to 2 million units sold on DVD.

The first 'big' picture, Facing the Giants cost just $100,000 USD to make and grossed $10 million at the box office, and sold over 1 million units on DVD (about $20m in gross revenues).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I am such a huge fan of watching movies and downloading. Now there would be lots of like me. If any good movie comes people latches on it. Then such movies make profit. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 is one of those.

I am such a huge fan of watching movies and downloading. Now there would be lots of like me. If any good movie comes people latches on it. Then such movies make profit. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 is one of those.

Its amazing that Dream House cost $50 million to make.

Horror/thriller movies are NOT what you want to spend major coin on... Not for the dime-a-dozen types like Dream House. Insidious is the best model you can use: Substance and writing over actors and location. Arguably the most profitable post-Saw, post-Paranormal Activity horror movie in awhile.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

spurgeonryan said:
Today's movie is Abduction with Taylor Lautner.
Production Budget: $35 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $19,840,455 51.0%
+ Foreign: $19,100,000 49.0%
= Worldwide: $38,940,455

It still has a long way to go in Others so this movie will do just fine for this kid.

I don't think so. It won't break even from box office receipts (taking onto account marketing and distribution costs). DVD sales and rentals will put it over the line, just.  They were wise indeed not to spend big $$ on its production. If they had spent $60 million (which is still not huge) they would have ended up majorly in the red.

Jimi Hendrix

spurgeonryan said:
binary solo said:
spurgeonryan said:
Today's movie is Abduction with Taylor Lautner.
Production Budget: $35 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $19,840,455 51.0%
+ Foreign: $19,100,000 49.0%
= Worldwide: $38,940,455

It still has a long way to go in Others so this movie will do just fine for this kid.

I don't think so. It won't break even from box office receipts (taking onto account marketing and distribution costs). DVD sales and rentals will put it over the line, just.  They were wise indeed not to spend big $$ on its production. If they had spent $60 million (which is still not huge) they would have ended up majorly in the red.

You do not think that people overseas will push this much higher? Taylor Lautner is big because of twilight.  There was not much spent on production I dont think, because I only saw trailers online. Still  if it cost 35 million to make, then they will only need about 52 million to break even with the budget. Boxofficemojo says  studios make back 55 percent from theater tickets. That is where the 52 million came from. I am guessing no more than 10-20 million for production. Can it push out 62-72 million WW? I do agree that Blue Ray, DVD, etc will push it over the mark easily like you said.

Well if you're looking for the Twihard effect Twilight made 57% of it's gross outside the USA. So if $19.84 mill = 43% then non-US gross should be about $26 millon for a WW lifetime gross of around $45 million. It'll be close but I don't think it'll make it. The Twihard effect is the only reason it got above $10 million in the USA to start with.

Went to see The Guard the other night. Really goood movie.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $4,646,796    35.1%
Foreign:  $8,583,024    64.9%
Worldwide:  $13,229,820  

Production Budget: $6 million

That's made profit already. But it deserves much better box office takings than that.

Jimi Hendrix