By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Might “Not Have A Choice” But to Remake Halo 2 in HD

There's really no point in arguing about any undefined term like 'milking'. Due to it's undefined nature, there is no actual way to determine if a franchise is truly milked or not. You can try to facts & logic to define it, but your efforts will be futile.

Is a franchise milked if there have been a lot of releases, but on different platforms? What if they weren't full games? What if they were remakes? What if different games were handled by different developers? What if the games were full priced? What if they were only $29.99? What if every game in the series was quality?

Those are all questions that will accompany different answers depending on whatever side of the argument you're on. I haven't checked, but I'm sure the term 'milking' isn't clearly defined in any dictionary. You can bet your ass that the definition will be altered by fanboys to suit their individual argument. There's no way to discredit these fanboys because the term isn't clearly defined. So any debate about milking will likely conclude like this thread; both parties having a stagnant, never-ending debate about the term 'milking'.

The fact of the matter is milking, whatever that means, is not bad or harmful to the industry if the quality is still high. As long as each new iteration feels fresh and new, then there's no problem with releasing a new game yearly. Many people say Halo, MGS, Gow, R&C are all milked. They may be milked depending on how you look at it, but guess what? They were all quality & are well respected by gamers & critics alike. And as gamers, that's what matters most.

Anyway on topic: I just found out that this Halo remake is a genuine remake, and not some HD port. As a Halo fan who has only played Reach. I'm actually more excited now. It was smart for MS to release this after Reach, which was a prequel. It gives people like me a chance to get caught up on the series.

EDIT: A company cannot milk a franchise if the demand isn't there. No one's forcing consumers to buy those games. If Consumers continue to buy titles from a 'milked' franchise, you know what that means? Consumers want those games. It's the Producers job to satisfy the consumer.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
o_O.Q said:
lol microsoft defense force out in fulll force

Lol haha, wait.... i'm in the Microsoft defence force now?

You sir , are talking about a guy who owns over 90 PS3 games, 250+ PS2 games, and a LOT Of PSP/PS1/PSwhatever games and got 2 PS3s, 4 PS2's , 2 PSP's , 3 PS1's , heck even a PocketStation,  and most recently and Xperia play.......  try again.

i'm never anyone's defence force i just use common sense and knowledge.

where in my post did i name people? are you guilty or something?

Damn what happened??

I think Halo 2 remake is good news for fans. Personally, i think it would of been better if they were released together (Halo 1 and 2).

And Lol at those pointing out the many GoW games. They span out on 4 platforms (counting Betrayal)

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Jay520 said:
There's really no point in arguing about any undefined term like 'milking'. Due to it's undefined nature, there is no actual way to determine if a franchise is truly milked or not. You can try to facts & logic to define it, but your efforts will be futile.

Is a franchise milked if there have been a lot of releases, but on different platforms? What if they weren't full games? What if they were remakes? What if different games were handled by different developers? What if the games were full priced? What if they were only $29.99? What if every game in the series was quality?

Those are all questions that will accompany different answers depending on whatever side of the argument you're on. I haven't checked, but I'm sure the term 'milking' isn't clearly defined in any dictionary. You can bet your ass that the definition will be altered by fanboys to suit their individual argument. There's no way to discredit these fanboys because the term isn't clearly defined. So any debate about milking will likely conclude like this thread; both parties having a stagnant, never-ending debate about the term 'milking'.

The fact of the matter is milking, whatever that means, is not bad or harmful to the industry if the quality is still high. As long as each new iteration feels fresh and new, then there's no problem with releasing a new game yearly. Many people say Halo, MGS, Gow, R&C are all milked. They may be milked depending on how you look at it, but guess what? They were all quality & are well respected by gamers & critics alike. And as gamers, that's what matters most.

Anyway on topic: I just found out that this Halo remake is a genuine remake, and not some HD port. As a Halo fan who has only played Reach. I'm actually more excited now. It was smart for MS to release this after Reach, which was a prequel. It gives people like me a chance to get caught up on the series.

EDIT: A company cannot milk a franchise if the demand isn't there. No one's forcing consumers to buy those games. If Consumers continue to buy titles from a 'milked' franchise, you know what that means? Consumers want those games. It's the Producers job to satisfy the consumer.

I agree with this. Honesly who cares if a game is milked or not as long as the game is still quality and the demand is there, who cares?

I have nothing against remakes or ports, I'm actually excited for some of the collections that come out this year because I've never even played a MGS game or Silent Hill game so this is a perfect chance to play catch up on the series.  

smroadkill15 said:
Jay520 said:

I agree with this. Honesly who cares if a game is milked or not as long as the game is still quality and the demand is there, who cares?

I have nothing against remakes or ports, I'm actually excited for some of the collections that come out this year because I've never even played a MGS game or Silent Hill game so this is a perfect chance to play catch up on the series.  

Agreed

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
Jay520 said:

Yeah I totally agree with you and so do millions of other people who buy the sequels. I really don't get why these people complain about milking. They announced 4 Halo games this year but I ain't complaining. XD

Woaah this has got out of hand.

People need to step back and chill.

Wagram said:
Seece said:
Wagram said:
I strongly disliked Halo 2. I'm not in games for the multiplayer but 2 was just UGH.

At least it was better than the train wreck of ODST though.

You'll have me and CGI barking at you again

But Halo 2 was rather weak I agree

I already got called out on my displeasure at ODST by a few people. The game just didn't feel like a Bungie game to me.

really? ODST felt more like halo 1 to me than halo 2 where the story felt rushed and un polished i liked it more than 3 as well. i also have to put reach up there pretty high... really for me 3 had the worst single player, it flet clunky and constrained,  and lead me to miss halo ce openness if at the cost of being repetitive. odst seemed to give us that back, and there was enough of it in reach,

i know to each his own, but what part of odst really irked you?

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

brendude13 said:
Seece said:
brendude13 said:
Spedfrom said:
The very definition of milking a legion of willing and desiring sheep.

LOL!

You couldn't have put it in a harsher or funnier way.

'Tis true though.

Except it's false, Halo fans will only buy what they want to buy as seen from Halo Wars and ODST. Quite how peopel buying what they like makes them sheep is beyond me. But to be honest I expect nothing less from you two.

Yes, because I have quite the reputation of a Halo hater >_>. While I admit I am not the biggest fan of Halo, I don't let it cloud my judgement of whether the series is being milked or not.

...Anyway, Halo 3's little tagline was "finish the fight", and I believe that the story was wrapped up very nicely. For them to announce 3 new main series games and possibly 2 remakes in one year is nothing short of ridiculous, I wouldn't be surprised if Halo games are going to be release anually from now on.

And as for his "legion of willing and desirable sheep" comment, it's true. There are many obsessive Halo fans, far more than any other game I know. A large percentage of Halo fans haven't even hit the age of 10 either, the game has a huge following amongst kids. Kids and fanboys, the easiest two groups to milk money from.

Let me draw your attention to this quote from Microsoft's E3 conference, "the dawn of a new Trilogy for XBOX 360".

That means:

Halo 1, Halo 2 (possibly), Halo 3, Halo 4, Halo 5, Halo 6, Halo 3:ODST, Halo Wars, Halo Reach

8 confirmed Halo games in one generation, only one of which can be passed off as a "spin-off". If that isn't milking then I don't know what is.

A couple of points I must address.

--If you watch everything including the stuff at the end of Halo 3 you will realize that the Story is in fact not wrapped up nicely.

--The vast majority of Halo fans are in their teens. 14-22 is probably Halo's biggest fanbase.

--Milking is irrelevent unless the quality gets horrible or they release 2-3 games every single year.

As long as Halo's quality stays high then I say bring on the yearly releases!

Oh and BenVTrigger wins this thread lol.